Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brendan Harris is "heating up"

Re: Brendan Harris is "heating up"

Here is what Rany Jazayerli said about Harris in 2003:

"When I got to the Brendan Harris write-up and looked at his numbers carefully, a strange sensation came over me. (Go ahead, Derek--make an Aussie crack; it's good to get it out of your system.) I checked the numbers, and lo and behold...well, look it up yourself:

Brendan Harris, 2002 = Albert Pujols, 2000

There are some differences--notably that Harris was a classification higher than Pujols--but the raw numbers are eerily similar. Harris is the biggest sleeper prospect in the game, and I was compelled to move him into our Top 20."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ne...undtable.shtml

Sickels liked him a lot, too. Here is what he said in his 2005 book (grade B):

". . . He'll need to find a middle ground with his plate discipline, and I think he will. Harris can play third base and second base without killing you, but is probably best at third. He's not a gold glove, but he has a decent arm, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and is fundamentally sound. Harris is basically Joe Randa."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man
    Here is what Rany Jazayerli said about Harris in 2003:

"When I got to the Brendan Harris write-up and looked at his numbers carefully, a strange sensation came over me. (Go ahead, Derek--make an Aussie crack; it's good to get it out of your system.) I checked the numbers, and lo and behold...well, look it up yourself:

Brendan Harris, 2002 = Albert Pujols, 2000

There are some differences--notably that Harris was a classification higher than Pujols--but the raw numbers are eerily similar. Harris is the biggest sleeper prospect in the game, and I was compelled to move him into our Top 20."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ne...undtable.shtml

Sickels liked him a lot, too. Here is what he said in his 2005 book (grade B):

". . . He'll need to find a middle ground with his plate discipline, and I think he will. Harris can play third base and second base without killing you, but is probably best at third. He's not a gold glove, but he has a decent arm, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and is fundamentally sound. Harris is basically Joe Randa."
    At that rate, he'll be somewhere between Wade Rowden & Gary Scott by 2007.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Just hit homer #3 for the Bats and #8 for the season.

Harris is playing SS today and is 2-for-2 with a solo HR and RBI double. He now has 13 XBH in 87 atbats with Louisville, and his line w/LOU is .287/.337/.506. If Chambliss can improve Harris' plate discipline like he did with Lopez and Phillips then we could be looking at a solid 2B next year. He is supposedly solid with the glove, too.

An infield of Encarnacion, Phillips, Harris, and Hatteberg/Votto next year would be very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    He is supposedly solid with the glove, too.
    my take is that he plays a good third and a lousy middle IF. And we don't need a third baseman.

to be a starter at second base, he's going to have to hit a lot, and pair with a very good shortstop.

Triple-A Louisville's Brendan Harris went 3-for-5 with a homer, a double and four RBI on Sunday.

Harris is batting .289/.337/.500 in 90 at-bats for Louisville since being acquired in the Austin Kearns-Felipe Lopez deal last month. He should be a part of Cincinnati's bench in September, though the at-bats won't be there to give him any fantasy value.
    -rotoworld

I like the slugging and batting average, but I wish he would walk more. Like OBM said, hopefully Chambliss can improve his batting eye.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    my take is that he plays a good third and a lousy middle IF. And we don't need a third baseman.
    But a lot of other teams do. If third is where he shines, then make sure he's branded as a third baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    But a lot of other teams do. If third is where he shines, then make sure he's branded as a third baseman.
    he's too old to generate a lot of interest. He's ours. Enjoy him. Play him where needed

to be a starter at second base, he's going to have to hit a lot, and pair with a very good shortstop.

insert Brandon Phillips?

I think Harris will be next year's rich aurilla if we dont resign rich (when i have a hunch he'll be back)

Plays 2B 3 to 4 days a week to let freel play of and get his needed rest. Give EE a rest here and there (hopefully not like Rich this year)

I sort of think it wouldnt be a bad idea to bring him up in September just for a little pop off the bench and some experience with the big league club... he is on the 40 man right?

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh
    he is on the 40 man right?
    yes.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    yes.
    He'll be up here in September. I assume Olmedo, Denorfia, and maybe even Watson.

Votto is on the 40 man, think he will be up here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

he's too old to generate a lot of interest.
    Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    He'll be up here in September. I assume Olmedo, Denorfia, and maybe even Watson.

Votto is on the 40 man, think he will be up here?
    I think it will depend on playoff races. Chattanooga won the first half of the season so they will be in the playoffs.

They probably wont waste an option on 10 to 15 games if they are sucessful

another HR on Tuesday

Option would not be "wasted" if he is brought up in September.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?