Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, the sad fact is, we still don't have enough pitching

GOREDSGO32

Sorry, the sad fact is, we still don't have enough pitching

Arroyo is coming down to earth from being a Cy Young leader early in the year. Obviously it was going to happen eventually, the sad fact is, we just don't have enough pitching. In a weak NL, we're barely over .500 and tied (maybe down now) in the NL WC - in a VERY week league this year. Fact is this team in an up NL year would probably be under .500 and 8 games out of the Wild Card at this point.

We're relying on a lot of spare pieces to continue astronomical career years (Hatteburgh, Phillips, Arroyo, Harang) to keep us in it, and when someone falls off, we lose. Sad fact is, we just don't have enough. If we had players in Milton's and Griffey's place that played to what their overpayed salary is, we'dd probably be up there with the Mets leading the NL.

Maybe if we can make it to the final week within 2 or 3 games we could pull off something, right now we're just hanging on watching the playoff spot slip away.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sorry, the sad fact is, we still don't have enough pitching

the amazing thing is of all the pitchers vs. st louis in this series, mIlton was the best

GOREDSGO32

Well I guess he's the nine million dollar a game man, since thats how much we pay him to have 3 decent games out of 30 in a year pretty much.

Is this being referred to over the course of the season, or just the recent loss?

Hopefully Griffey gets hot very soon and breaks from his 1 for 4 type of shell he keeps casting each game. Cutting down on the strike outs would be great as well.

We split a series with the Cards, which could arguably be the best team in the NL alongside of the Mets.

What is an UP NL year? So, you're saying the the NL is weak this year and that the only reason the Reds are playing good is because the NL is weak? That's absolute crap! I don't need to state any reasoning on that, because either way it's a personal opinion. The Reds have one of the best hitting ballclubs in all of baseball....and their pitching has been really steady for a team that resides in a HITTER'S ballpark.

Dare I say, HOMER BAILEY?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

GOREDSGO32

Um its not personal opinion, the NL just sucks this year. It's nowhere as good as the AL, when you only have one team, the Mets, who are steadily above .500 with no danger of going under that point - its pretty sad. The AL completely destroyed the NL in interleague play also. The NL is just in a really down year. If the Reds were in the AL, I doubt we would be over .500.

It's just the way it goes. In 1999 the Reds won 96 games and didn't make the playoffs, and had a better record than the NL West champs and two AL playoff teams I believe. Just a really unfortunate draw who we ended behind that year. This year its been a pretty good draw, except we still don't have enough firepower to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    Joe Mays is in AAA and waiting to be called up.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Joe Mays is in AAA and waiting to be called up.

I am sure Mr. Bowden has a healthy pitcher for us.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Were are threads like these after victories???

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30

Pretty weird, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30

Oddly enough, nowhere to be found...I wonder why that might be.......huuummmmmm ?

GOREDSGO32

A win or a loss doesn't change things. I didn't even listen to the game, I had to be somewhere, and don't know what happened, except the Reds lost. It's just the simple rule of sports, you have guys who were on the verge of not even being in the majors and they have outstanding seasons - its eventually going to tail off. You can't rely on them forever, if they even tail off to get back to being average, its going to hurt you a lot because you rely on them so much. We just need better pitchers! One year isn't gonig to change years and years of ineptitude. Our 3 and 4 guys have around 5 ERA's, and we have a 5th guy by committee with the last three guys sucking so bad they aren't even in the majors anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    A win or a loss doesn't change things. I didn't even listen to the game, I had to be somewhere, and don't know what happened, except the Reds lost. It's just the simple rule of sports, you have guys who were on the verge of not even being in the majors and they have outstanding seasons - its eventually going to tail off. You can't rely on them forever, if they even tail off to get back to being average, its going to hurt you a lot because you rely on them so much. We just need better pitchers! One year isn't gonig to change years and years of ineptitude. Our 3 and 4 guys have around 5 ERA's, and we have a 5th guy by committee with the last three guys sucking so bad they aren't even in the majors anymore.
    And where in this rule does it state that it will always happen before the end of the year that is outstanding?

No doubt without some banner years from Ross, Phillips, EE, Hatteburg, RA, we'd be in bad, bad shape. Most likely they will not repeat themselves to this magnitiude.

But where does it state that they will all cool down prior to the end of 2006 season?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    Yikes, hate to throw him into the fire like that.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?