Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds article in USA Today

Reds article in USA Today

Reds chug along, stay in playoff hunt
    Updated 8/11/2006 3:33 AM ET
    By Jorge L. Ortiz, USA TODAY

Long removed from the days of the Big Red Machine, the Cincinnati Reds are now more like the little engine that could. Or maybe could not.
    In an effort to help the club reach the postseason for the first time since 1995, first-year general manager Wayne Krivsky has dealt for seven major-leaguers in less than a month, including outfielder Todd Hollandsworth on Wednesday.

Cincinnati remains atop the National League wild-card standings after splitting a four-game series with the Central Division-leading St. Louis Cardinals, and a pack of contenders is nipping at their heels.

Among the teams are the Philadelphia Phillies, who have vaulted into the wild-card race by going 6-3 in August.

The Reds, who begin a three-game series in Philadelphia on Friday, have a 4-6 mark this month after Thursday's 6-1 loss to St. Louis but not for lack of maneuvering. The club traded for closer Eddie Guardado (seven saves as a Red), right-hander Kyle Lohse and relievers Rheal Cormier, Gary Majewski and Bill Bray.

"Players who have been here for a while definitely see a change, and it starts at the top with ownership and their commitment to win," Krivsky said.

The four-game set with the Cardinals reflected the Reds' plight. For every catch by daredevil outfielder Ryan Freel or jubilant celebration of a David Ross game-ending home run, there was a deflating loss in which the NL's top homer-hitting club scored only one run.

The Reds pitching staff has a 4.77 ERA, 11th in the National League. Still, the team has gone 8-4 against the Cardinals, whom it trails by 3½ games and will meet again in St. Louis next week. Cincinnati has also fared well against other wild-card aspirants including the Colorado Rockies (5-1) and Houston Astros (7-2).

Find this article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...stseason_x.htm
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds article in USA Today

Doesn't give us much credit, does he? Deflating loss?? I think this is overstating the situation. While time is certainly passing, we're not in bad shape and this is a team that just might succeed and folks like this writer can go cry in their beer that the Reds are putting a decent team on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Doesn't give us much credit, does he? Deflating loss?? I think this is overstating the situation. While time is certainly passing, we're not in bad shape and this is a team that just might succeed and folks like this writer can go cry in their beer that the Reds are putting a decent team on the field.
    The bubble was certainly less full yesterday at 3 PM than it was Wednesday at 10 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Decent doesnt take u to the playoffs or far in the playoffs.

Im not pessimistic, just a realist. Pitching and defense wins championships? well we're 22nd and 27th in the majors in each category.

I think this writer was being easy on us.

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    Decent doesnt take u to the playoffs or far in the playoffs.

Im not pessimistic, just a realist. Pitching and defense wins championships? well we're 22nd and 27th in the majors in each category.

I think this writer was being easy on us.
    ah, your usual breath of sunshine, no?

ah, your usual breath of sunshine, no?
    i keep you guys on your toes..you love it

Believer since 1981

I swear every time i look KalDanielsfan has gone further in the hole with his rep points.. its come to the point where i will open a thread just to see where he stands... awesome.

at -18, his point total is asymptotically approaching Mike Smith's performance as a Reds reliever

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    I swear every time i look KalDanielsfan has gone further in the hole with his rep points.. its come to the point where i will open a thread just to see where he stands... awesome.

LOLLOLOLOL

You should see the lame reasons I get the negative point. oh well. liek I said, I cant help but be the voice of brutal honesty at times.

some of us live outside of the midwest and see things in a different way..and love our Reds in different ways.

i love them in an honest "tell your wife she's fat way". not in a "I just met a hot girl so I am treating her like a queen so I can have sex with her soon" kinda way.

Believer since 1981

I havent read all of your posts.. but i have never had a problem with what you are saying, granted i may think some of your thoughts are crazy, but it wouldnt be much fun if we all agreed all the time. Keep it up Kal, i wonder if you get to -200 points, you get over to the Old Red Guard???

I havent read all of your posts.. but i have never had a problem with what you are saying, granted i may think some of your thoughts are crazy, but it wouldnt be much fun if we all agreed all the time. Keep it up Kal, i wonder if you get to -200 points, you get over to the Old Red Guard???
    lol bro i see where u are from and I lived in Brookhaven for almost 4 years in a house off of North Druid Hills.

Believer since 1981

Atlanta isnt bad, im from Sidney, Oh. Moved down here about 5 years ago.. not too bad, I live way north of the city in Cumming, Ga. Who the hell gave you positive rep points!!! That Bulltish... dont they know we want to see -200!!!

Atlanta isnt bad, im from Sidney, Oh. Moved down here about 5 years ago.. not too bad, I live way north of the city in Cumming, Ga. Who the hell gave you positive rep points!!! That Bulltish... dont they know we want to see -200!!!
    i know its garbage bro.. help me out here

also, cumming, ga was always one of the funnier city names...ever make it down to Buckhead/Midtown?

Believer since 1981

Used to all the time... Cumming is great for a town name, what makes it even better is the Siemens water tower in Cumming... you cant make this stuff up. I worked in Buckhead for about 3 years, great restraunts... terrible traffic.

Used to all the time... Cumming is great for a town name, what makes it even better is the Siemens water tower in Cumming... you cant make this stuff up. I worked in Buckhead for about 3 years, great restraunts... terrible traffic.
    my first summer in atlanta to look for a house to buy was the last summer of Freaknik.

and I was a green, naive guy from Ohio (miami university J Crew U right?) and it scared the **($#*( out of me. i thought freaknik was just a weekly occurrence in atlanta and not a "festival." lol

Turn Off Ads?