Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Greg Maddux as a Pitching Coach

Greg Maddux as a Pitching Coach

The old addage is "if you can't do, teach." However, he has always been regarded as a smart pitcher over a stuff guy. With the success of his brother, do you see Greg Maddux becoming a pitching coach after this season? The better question is, would you want the Reds to get him, and could they?

With this new ownership, nothing would surprise me...
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greg Maddux as a Pitching Coach

I can't see it happening.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Why would a guy with as much money as he has want to continue the grind and become a coach?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I can see him as a coach, just not for the Reds
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Why would a guy with as much money as he has want to continue the grind and become a coach?
    Love of the game? Has he ever mentioned being in favor of coaching or not when he is done pitching?
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Ask Orel Hershiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I have a theory that Greg Maddux is going to go home to Vegas and open a bakery when his career is done.

There's nothing whatsoever to back this up, but it's a feeling I've had for a long time. I even wrote a story about it once, complete with illustration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Not with the Reds. I wouldn't even really want him coaching here.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

he's likely to pitch next season. After that, I could see him replacing Roger McDowell in Atlanta.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

From the horses mouth

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NA...t=.jsp&c_id=la
    When I'm finished with baseball ...

I'm going to take a year off and take my wife to places we never had a chance to go to before. Maybe I'll play some golf in Scotland and Ireland. After that, who knows? I may come back into the game, maybe coach for a little bit or just be involved with it in some way.

Guys come back to the "grind" because they love the game, the comaraderie, the attention and the competition. Maddux is great because he's smart and that makes him a candiudate as a pitching coach. However, there is a big difference between doing and teaching - some guys can make the transition, others can't. Ted Williams may have been the smartest hitter who ever played but he was a pretty mediocre manager and coach. I've always thought that remark "those who can't do, teach" was stupid and glib. Those who can truly teach well are specially gifted. One thing I'd love to see the new regime do this winter is overhaul the coaching staff at each team in the system and get away from the cheapest regardless of qualification system of staffing.

given that Maddux wants to stay near home, i can't see him being much more than a roving instructor or spring training instructor...maybe a very, very part-time scout for the Vegas area. but i don't think he'll ever get back into in such a way as it'd take up more than half his time.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Maybe some team will move to Vegas and he can be the pitching coach for them
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?