Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Griffey -another viewpoint

Griffey -another viewpoint

Junior has always been somewhat streaky, and that is more obviously now that he is getting older. But, he will get hot again this season and make key hits and long balls in bunches... He can still carry the team for a stretch of 4 or 6 games at a time. He will do that in the up coming NL central battles when the Reds most need him.

The great thing is the Reds are hanging right in there with the big boys JR and AD slumping. When they turn it on... and they will... the Reds may just separate from the pack and possibly overtake St. Louis.

This is the dog days boys... there called that for a reason. Many players go through slumps this time of year only to bounce back in September! Junior will be back.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Re: Griffey -another viewpoint

There is no doubt they could have used their hitting the last few games. I sure hope they come around soon. I agree that Griff can carry the team when he's hot.

Maybe it's time for the witch docter again - animal sacrifice anyone (or tofu for the vegetarian crowd!)?

Hi everyone. This would be my first post here at Redszone. I look forward to talking some Redlegs baseball with you all.

Griffey has been streaky all year. It almost seems to me that he's trying to do too much for the team when he's at the plate. And other times, he tattoos the ball but right at someone. I think he'll be fine and his experience will be extremely valuable down the final stretch of the season. If Griff and Dunn can get hot at the right time, who knows how far this team could go.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by RedSchmo2
    Junior has always been somewhat streaky, and that is more obviously now that he is getting older. But, he will get hot again this season and make key hits and long balls in bunches... He can still carry the team for a stretch of 4 or 6 games at a time. He will do that in the up coming NL central battles when the Reds most need him.

The great thing is the Reds are hanging right in there with the big boys JR and AD slumping. When they turn it on... and they will... the Reds may just separate from the pack and possibly overtake St. Louis.

This is the dog days boys... there called that for a reason. Many players go through slumps this time of year only to bounce back in September! Junior will be back.
    i'm sure he will come around.hopefully it will be sooner rather than later !

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Personally, I just think Griff is getting too anxious. You know what they always say about "trying too hard" when you're in a slump. I think the problem is that he isn't taking any pitches. He always seems to get down 2 strikes in every count, and he can't fend off pitches and defend like he used to be able to. If he would be more patient and start to get some counts in his favor, he may get some pitches to hit. Just my .02 though.

I agree. I believe he is too anxious. He wants to help this team win and drive in key runs, and he's just getting too excited and NOT concentrating.

Griffey is one of my favorite players of all time, and I have to say that although his age and speed isn't it used to be, he is still a darn good player. He will break out of his slump. And hopefully soon!
    Last edited by Chainer; 08-13-2006 at 03:56 PM.

I want to respond to this but I have a question first. Do I have to start a new Griffey thread to reply?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

many posters have the attitude that Jr. is "washed up", finished. But the apple never falls too far from the tree, and Sr. had a productive career into his 40th year. He hit over 300 in his 36th and 37 year, and was a factor in 1991, when he retired at 41.
    Looking at his career from a contrarian point of view, he never suffered the debilitating injuries Jr. has suffered. Of course, sports medicine is better 20 years later.
    I predict Griffey will serve out his contract, hitting decently if not spectacularly through 2009.

Griffey has struggled this year, no doubt about it. But if he gets hot he is capable of pushing this team through the stretch and into the postseason, and I would like nothing more than for one of the true good guys in the game to do just that.

:griffey: had a great game today three singles and a clutch hit

Griffey isn't the Griffey of old. But that is OK. The guy can still play.

A lot of folks think he should be moved down in the order. Personally I am not sure it would make the difference between wins and losses.

The Reds get some decent pitching, they'll win more than they lose, even with Narron's percieved wacky line-ups.

Turn Off Ads?