Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk off Homeruns cause Reds to lose???

Walk off Homeruns cause Reds to lose???

This is kinda strange. It seems after every walkoff win the Reds get in dramatic fashion, they then begin a multiple game losing streak.

May 11 vs. Nationals, Jr. wins it - after that a 5 game losing streak which included being swept by the phillies and losing 2 out of 3 to the Pirates.

June 30 vs. Indians, Dunn wins it - after that a 6 game losing streak which included being swept by the Brewers and losing 2 out of 3 to the indians.

August 09 vs. Cards, Ross wins it - after that so far a 2 game losing streak.

I've noticed this because after such a great win they always seem to find ways to lose the following games, making that great win not nearly as enjoyable.
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 08-11-2006 at 11:44 PM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walk off Homeruns cause Reds to lose???

Don't forget the one Valentin hit against the Diamondbacks which was very soon followed by a 10 game winning streak

That wasn't a homerun.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    This is kinda strange. It seems after every walkoff win the Reds get in dramatic fashion, they then begin a multiple game losing streak.

May 11 vs. Nationals, Jr. wins it - after that a 5 game losing streak which included being swept by the phillies and losing 2 out of 3 to the Pirates.

June 30 vs. Indians, Dunn wins it - after that a 6 game losing streak which included being swept by the Brewers and losing 2 out of 3 to the indians.

August 09 vs. Cards, Ross wins it - after that so far a 2 game losing streak.

I've noticed this because after such a great win they always seem to find ways to lose the following games, making that great win not nearly as enjoyable.
    I have also noticed this depressing reality. The bigger the win, the harder the immediate crash. The 6-game slide after the Dunn walkoff slam was beyond frustrating. It looks like we're in the midst of another one of these delights.

For all the veterans this team has....it seems to lack the killer instinct that you need in a pennant race.

I keep expecting Griffey to turn it on...beacuse to me...he is the kind of hitter that thrives under this kind of pressure....... 2nd year in a row that he has been healthy....but not the same results as last year. All the injuries have caught up to him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    For all the veterans this team has....it seems to lack the killer instinct that you need in a pennant race.

I keep expecting Griffey to turn it on...beacuse to me...he is the kind of hitter that thrives under this kind of pressure....... 2nd year in a row that he has been healthy....but not the same results as last year. All the injuries have caught up to him this year.
    His age has caught up to him.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger

Not sure how you put away teams with the pitching staff we have short of scoring 15 runs a game.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Believe it or not, I find this quite logical. The wins aren't the cause of the losses, rather a sympton of weakness.

There is the assumption that "good teams" or "hot teams" are those who win a lot of these dramatic games. And while they may be necessary for a pennant run, and they get their share, I don't quite agree.

"Good Teams" put most of their wins away early and easily. No need for the walk-off HR.
    "Struggling Teams" engage in these nightly "struggles" and come away with some dramatic wins (and losses).

If there were a dramatic win/total win index, I'm sure the REDS would be around the top...but most of the division leaders might not be.

As exciting as they may be, Walk-off wins may not be the signature of a good ballclub.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Believe it or not, I find this quite logical. The wins aren't the cause of the losses, rather a sympton of weakness.

There is the assumption that "good teams" or "hot teams" are those who win a lot of these dramatic games. And while they may be necessary for a pennant run, and they get their share, I don't quite agree.

"Good Teams" put most of their wins away early and easily. No need for the walk-off HR.
    "Struggling Teams" engage in these nightly "struggles" and come away with some dramatic wins (and losses).

If there were a dramatic win/total win index, I'm sure the REDS would be around the top...but most of the division leaders might not be.

As exciting as they may be, Walk-off wins may not be the signature of a good ballclub.
    I believe the Mets lead the league in come-from-behind wins.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Walk-offs are fun!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

The REDS have had 10 "last at-bat wins" this year. They are 5-5 in games that follow those last at-bat wins.

* 2005: 15 last at-bat wins... 8-7 in games that followed.
    * 2004: 22 last at-bat wins... 14-8 in games that followed.
    * 2003: 29 last at-bat wins... 11-18 in games that followed.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    The REDS have had 10 "last at-bat wins" this year. They are 5-5 in games that follow those last at-bat wins.

* 2005: 15 last at-bat wins... 8-7 in games that followed.
    * 2004: 22 last at-bat wins... 14-8 in games that followed.
    * 2003: 29 last at-bat wins... 11-18 in games that followed.
    Where do you find this stuff?!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Where do you find this stuff?!
    Too much time and I keep stats in an Excel spreadsheet!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Too much time and I keep stats in an Excel spreadsheet!
    wow that's crazy
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss

Oh, and would also like to point out this thread held true with the latest david ross walkoff for 0 games!

w00t.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss

Turn Off Ads?