Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ABC Sports Is No More

ABC Sports Is No More

This from SI.com...

The sports division that spanned the globe to give viewers a constant variety of sports and asked pigskin-crazed fans if they were ready for some football has a brand new name: ESPN on ABC. ESPN will become the overarching brand for all sports programming carried on the ABC Television Network beginning Saturday, Sept. 2 -- the debut of ABC's college football season. "This evolutionary step reflects the extraordinary relationship ESPN has with today's sports fans and the dynamic changes in how sports are consumed," said George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN, Inc. and ABC Sports and Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks, in a statement. "ESPN has been infused with ABC Sports' history of innovation, and we are committed to building upon that legacy as we continue to serve fans and our partners more effectively through ESPN on ABC."

ESPN said the new approach will cover all of the sports programming on ABC, encompassing all aspects of the production effort including on-air look, graphics and branding. "It's going to be interesting news outside of the sports media industry," sports television consultant Neil Pilson, a former president of CBS Sports who runs his own consultancy firm and often works with ESPN. "It reflects the continued expansion of influence of ESPN. This is a company that not only has four 24/7 cable channels, plus it's online, Internet, mobile phone, you name it, they now will basically contract for and control 400 hours of network broadcast time. This isn't to say they don't already do it. But now they have are going to have this additional brand platform."

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ABC Sports Is No More

This evolutionary step reflects the extraordinary relationship ESPN has with today's sports fans and the dynamic changes in how sports are consumed
    Wow, a name change! How...evolutionary...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

This is really just a name change, ABC sports has been ESPNey for a few years now.
    Go Gators!

The Agony of Defeat.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    The Agony of Defeat.
    Jim McKay is turning over in his grave.

He is dead, isn't he?

ESPN will become the overarching brand for all sports programming

ESPN News actually ran that little snippet in its crawl all day yesterday and all I could think was how pompous.

I officially will not watch it anymore unless the Reds are on it and only it. Its one thing to be lame, but thats just too much.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    ESPN will become the overarching brand for all sports programming

ESPN News actually ran that little snippet in its crawl all day yesterday and all I could think was how pompous.

I officially will not watch it anymore unless the Reds are on it and only it. Its one thing to be lame, but thats just too much.
    ESPN is the Wal-mart of the sports world.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    ESPN is the Wal-mart of the sports world.
    Sadly there is no Target
    Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Sadly there is no Target
    ESPN is the Walmart AND the Target of the sports TV world right now.

Sadly, Fox & Comcast are nothing more than small mom and pop shops in comparison, offering only token resistence.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    ESPN is the Walmart AND the Target of the sports TV world right now.
    Yup, and it sure beats a world where there is neither like we had 25 years ago.

I think this is a point people forget when bashing ESPN. The reason they have no competetion is because of how good they are at what they do. Nobody else can touch them because they set the bar so high.

Maybe somebody will be Target to ESPN's Wal Mart someday but it won't be easy and its not because ESPN is evil.

Give them some credit and imagine a world without them.

I like the Sunday night football game, the weekly college football, a winter of college hoops, the extended coverage of golf, etc, etc. Yeah Stephen A is a jerk and Dickie V is a loudmouth.

My TV came with a remote. Not hard to change the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    I like the Sunday night football game,

The Sunday Night games will be on NBC this year.

I know. But they have been on ESPN for the past 20 and the only reason they are moving to NBC is because ESPN is getting MNF.

Turn Off Ads?