Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The.....Reds....just.....can't....do...it...can... they?

Worth The Wait

The.....Reds....just.....can't....do...it...can... they?

This......is.....my.....best......way......to..... ..describe.....how.....it......feels....to......wa tch.....the......Reds.....this.....year.

OK, I think you've got the point.

The other night after the Ross HR, many people started calling this team "special." While I've been a defender of Wayne and while I've been calling for enjoyment of the race regardless of the circumstances, I must say, that I do not think this team is "special."

This team plays hard, they've exceeded most expecations, and they are fairly fun to watch. However, they are just average.

Occasionally, a "just average" team can soar to great heights if they truly have the right mix of "specialness." But this team just doesn't have it.

Tonight's game was a fantastic example. We had a bunch of heroes tonight. The team played their guts out-- gave it their all.

But when the offense stepped it up in the 9th, the bullpen blew it. Then, we the bullpen threw up zeros in the 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th, the offense went silent. Kyle Lohse pitches a gem, and we lose. That's a game that "special" teams win.

We've now followed the most dramatic/important win of the season with two defeats-- the second of which coming in a most painful manner.

I've simply come to accept that the Reds are what they are this year; so-so.

The reason I've been so positive lately is because "so-so" is a MAJOR improvement in my eyes. I am hopeful that we are headed in the right direction. Not convinced, but finally hopeful.

I am enjoying this right now. As long as the standings stay this way, each day will be exciting. But I'm not gonna lie-- this team doesn't make my hair stand up like the team in 1999 did--that was magic. That team could rattle off about 10 of those wins in a row. The 2002 Angels were "special."

The 2006 Reds are just average. We're basically incapable of winning a bunch in a row and I also think we're incapable of totally fading away. Which can certainly be a maddening combination.

I just don't see it folks. I think the Cards will slowly increase their lead and I think we will slowly fade in the WC standings as SOMEONE is bound to go on a big run (Houston?). When it's said I done, I see us right around 80-82 wins, probably 7-8 games out in the division and about 4-5 out in the WC. And some will scream and yell about how we "blew it." But it's hard to blow something you never really had. And I simply don't think the Reds have "it" this year.

But......I........hope.......I'm........wrong

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The.....Reds....just.....can't....do...it...can... they?

The Reds tend to coast in games at certain points, and it burns them. They tend to be very subject to whether they are tired, in an "up" mood, excited--they play the game as the spirit moves them--and they are prone to terrible slumps because of it. In short, and I know people hate this phrase, but as a team, the Reds "don't know how to win." There isn't that machine-like (no reference) ability that top teams have to consistently grind out 4, 5, and 6 game winning streaks, and the ability to avoid losing series.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I'm right with you. Ed.

As many times as we come close to breaking out, we do dumb things to bring us down to earth--the mark of a mediocre team. If it's not the pitching, it's the offense and visa versa. If it's not either, it's game management.

As much as Krivsky is trying and Bob C is egging him on, all moves come to the same result--we gain a game then lose a game. It's better than last year, bu,t maybe we haven't seen the whole picture.

Since June 3rd, when the Reds were 31-24 and looking to get better, this team has been 28-33, even with the new bullpen. Amid the false high of a 31-24 record came an unusual mid-season contract extension for Jerry Narron. Narron hasn't been the same since. He's made blunder after blunder in management, but the team has come through with some big wins. Most notable is that the team we are chasing, St. Louis, has been 28-31. It was a chance to take over this division and we blew it. Now, we are fighting for a wild card berth and blowing games we should win.

Tonight's overuse of a pitching staff that can't afford overuse coupled with the horrible slumps that Dunn and Griffey are in (I include both because it seems that it's OK for Dunn to slump while Griffey is just worthless and over the hill), seems to start the begining of a slide to third place.

Yes, I hope I'm wrong too and I'll eat all the crow you want as long as you supply the barbeque sauce, but it seems that this is the way it will come down.

Ah, the frustration of a Reds fan. Bad moves in the front office and bad moves in field management. We should expect it by now. Oh, just to get that one hit and not make that one error. Oh, to win. Someday. Maybe.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Man Pills

Wayne Krivsky made a bunch of moves that involved shipping out important trading chips in the hopes of improving the bullpen. He failed horribly. There is absolutely no equivocation in this matter. That's what happened. He failed.

We can talk about next year, young arms, and all that happy crap, but he failed to improve this ballclub for the stretch drive. Fait accompli.

The Reds offense is above average, but only slightly so. The team is about sixth in the NL in runs scored. The 6th through 8th hitters in the lineup scare nobody.

The pitching is below average. The defense is below average. They have a lot of older players, not much speed.

On balance, the team is about average. They are in the hunt since the NL is weak. They are better than last year.

Hopefully, in the off-season, the Reds will become a good team and, over time, an excellent one.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Wayne Krivsky made a bunch of moves that involved shipping out important trading chips in the hopes of improving the bullpen. He failed horribly. There is absolutely no equivocation in this matter. That's what happened. He failed.

We can talk about next year, young arms, and all that happy crap, but he failed to improve this ballclub for the stretch drive. Fait accompli.
    It was 1 move.

If this team has Eddie, Loshe, Cormier, and Franklin to go along with Kearns and Lopez this team would win the NL Central.

A bullpen of

Guardado
    Coffey
    Weathers
    Cormier
    Franklin
    Belisle
    Shackelford

would do just fine. Heck I wouldn't have minded traded Kearns for a reliever so you could pump out a lineup of

Freel
    Hatteberg
    Dunn
    Edwin
    Griffey
    Lopez
    Phillips
    Ross

The Nationals trade is what blew up our chances.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    It was 1 move.

If this team has Eddie, Loshe, Cormier, and Franklin to go along with Kearns and Lopez this team would win the NL Central.

A bullpen of

Guardado
    Coffey
    Weathers
    Cormier
    Franklin
    Belisle
    Shackelford

would do just fine. Heck I wouldn't have minded traded Kearns for a reliever so you could pump out a lineup of

Freel
    Hatteberg
    Dunn
    Edwin
    Griffey
    Lopez
    Phillips
    Ross

The Nationals trade is what blew up our chances.
    Your prospective bullpen is still a bad bullpen. Maybe not Maj and Bray bad, but still bad.

I consider improvements to be substantive improvements, not what you have listed above. There's still not a killer in that whole bunch. Heck, just one is all I ask.

Which is why, of course, Homer Bailey should be up yesterday.

That's a pretty fair assessment. Even if one says that Wayne made only one bad move, it was a back breaker. Wayne won some $5-20 bets but lost the $200 bet.

This season has been fun, and I'm glad Cast is trying to go for it. But unless we reel in some FAs this offseason, I have a feeling the future is bleaker than it is brighter.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"So Fla Red"

Edskin -- excellent post. That sums it up pretty well...

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    This......is.....my.....best......way......to..... ..describe.....how.....it......feels....to......wa tch.....the......Reds.....this.....year.
    -
    But......I........hope.......I'm........wrong
    Mr.Shatner?!?!?!

Go Gators!

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD

This season has been fun, and I'm glad Cast is trying to go for it. But unless we reel in some FAs this offseason, I have a feeling the future is bleaker than it is brighter.
    We've got ownership that wants to win badly and is bringing back the core fanbase for the first time in 25 years. We've got a GM who isn't afraid to make moves and to change the losing culture permeating the organization.

We've FINALLY got a local TV contract that should provide the kind of revenue stream the franchise deserves to move into mid market payroll range to better compete. (Much Better TV Contract + Higher Attendance = more wins guaranteed over the next few years)

And at minimum we've finally got a possibility of a pretty nice rotation core by midseason in Harang + Arroyo + Bailey

Position wise you've got Dunn + EE + BP + Freel to build around next season.

The pen will without question be much beter next season with Coffey + Bray + Maj + Cormier as the base to build from in the offseason.

Hard work remains in the offseason, but I'm more optimistic on where the franchise stands then I've been at anytime since the 1990 Championship (and that was with ownership that put the dys in dysfunction)
    Last edited by oregonred; 08-12-2006 at 04:03 AM.

I agree with you oregonRed that the new ownership is a breath of fresh air.

I just think we're going to go through a pain period before the team legitimately gets better. There's not a whole lot left to trade. Not much in the minors either.

I should've said that short term is a bit bleaker. Wayne did an admirable job getting some of the stop gaps that he did (Hatteberg, Guarado, etc).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    The.....Reds....just.....can't....do...it...can... they?
    Yet how many games this year have we seen them come back and pull out a win?.... and against some darn good teams too.

You're not gonna win them all.

I just don't see it folks. I think the Cards will slowly increase their lead and I think we will slowly fade in the WC standings as SOMEONE is bound to go on a big run (Houston?).
    Who beat the Cards last night?

The fact is Ed.... this is probably the weakest division in all MLB right now. It's anybody's ballgame. Big series versus the Cards next week. We are 8-4 overall vs the Cards this year, so yes, it can be done IMO.

Usually by this time of year we're all paying more attention to NFL pre-season anyway because the Reds are out of it.

Hang tough folks and try to get some enjoyment out of this. Quit hanging on every loss like it's the season or the game that causes us to "go over the falls".

And those teams in the WC hunt are no better then we are IMO. It's gonna be tight till the end.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Yet many, many people were perfectly happy to have done nothing till the offseason to cash in on the possible higher trade value of AK and Lopez. People would have been happy to do nothing and not improve in that regard. I don't see the difference.

Which is why, of course, Homer Bailey should be up yesterday.
    Yea, so he can get shelled by throwing a lot of fastballs. Then we can listen to people moan and grown about Kriv being "rash" and "moving to fast" and "panicking" and "pulling the trigger too soon" and ruining his carear.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-12-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I just think we're going to go through a pain period before the team legitimately gets better. There's not a whole lot left to trade. Not much in the minors either.
    Going though a pain period...totally agree with this summation. I'm suprised at the angst when this is a medicore team at best and we've got to un-ravel the damage done to the orginization since the late 1980's. That doesn't get changed around overnight. I'm NOT giving BC and The Kriv a blanket-pass to say everything they have done is perfect, but I'm more confident in this group getting us somewhere since any other group since the late 1960's.

We've been the benificaries of a weak league and banner years from some players. It's very enjoyable to watch and it's nice to actually have hope again that due to a serries of events we might be in this thing in the end. More importantly, it's nice to actually have hope that each year will actually be stronger than the previous year.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?