Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: Chris Valaika

Re: Prospect Profile: Chris Valaika

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake
    Be wary though. Billings is where Gary Redus hit something like .490 and was then buried under hype and never able to be anything near the player that expectations for him became.
    I think sometimes expectations are more than they should be. Ultimately the great number of players at this level never even make the majors. While Redus never became a super-star, he was a reasonably decent player who ended up with a 13 year big league career. His career average was middling, as was his RBI total. He never played more than 130 games in a season and only played 100+ a handful of years.

That said, you are correct that minor league numbers can be deceiving. Redus' .462 average in 1978 was the best ever in the minors of anyone, you can understand the type.

This is an excerpt from an article I found at

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...=.jsp&sid=t513

The Alabama native hit .462 that summer, making headlines across the Northwest. It's the highest recorded batting average in Minor League history and the best in a United States-based league in the last 50 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake
    Be wary though. Billings is where Gary Redus hit something like .490 and was then buried under hype and never able to be anything near the player that expectations for him became.
    Wow that is digging way back. I would take a Gary Redus if he could play short stop.

30 game hit streak, he just got a hit in the first inning.

if he can continue to hit anything close to how he has (or even not close in some regards) he'll be Jeff Kent.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2-for-2 tonight with a double and single.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Valaika now holds the PL record- a 31-game hitting streak.

mtscorer

Hey Guys,

I'm the official scorer for the Billings Mustangs. I'm always reading these boards but never signed up. Thought I might as well add my 2 cents, especially with the exciting season we are having in Billings this year.

Valaika is really off the charts. When you see him play you just know he is going to get a hit. And the streak doesn't seem to phase him. He's had 6 records in about 6 games (that includes tying and breaking the team record of 27 and tying and breaking the PL record, as well as tying and breaking the 2006 minors season high), and lately he's been getting hits in the first inning. Another record within his grasp is the SS Double Play record. The PL record is 53, he has 46 with 12 games to go. He is a great fielder too. Not only that, he leads the team in Sac Flys and HBP's, and I believe he's right up there in HR's on the team too. He's really an all-around talent.

Well I wish Chris the best of luck in Utah, 5 more road games until our last regular season homestand. A few more hits and he's got one of the best streaks in the minors in the past 30-40 years and 40 hit streaks haven't happened in about 50.

Another hit tonight; RBI single in the 6th. The streak is now at 32 games....

Score is 1-1 in the top of the 8th.

The streak is over.

Chris was 0 for 4 today with 2 Ks.

Still, it is a great record to hold: the all-time Pioneer League hitting streak of 32 games.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson
    The streak is over.

Chris was 0 for 4 today with 2 Ks.

Still, it is a great record to hold: the all-time Pioneer League hitting streak of 32 games.
    Wonder what the 'on-base' streak record is... He was 0-fer-4 with a Walk, so he did reach base safely.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

HERE is a link to article on streak ending....

From today's Baseball Prospectus future ten pack:

"Chris Valaika, ss, Short-Season Billings (Reds)
    On Sunday, Valaika went 0-for-4 with a pair of strikeouts, ending the longest hitting streak in the minor leagues this season at 32 games, a new Pioneer League record. The third-round pick out of UC Santa Barbara hit .374 (49-for-131) during the streak, and is batting .329/.393/.530 overall in 63 games. While people still aren't sold on the stocky Valaika's ability to stick at shortstop, everyone is sold on the bat speed and the gap power as he's far outperformed first-round pick Drew Stubbs, whose inability to make contact remains a big concern in the pros."

Valaika was named Pioneer League MVP today:
    http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...milb&fext=.jsp
    Valaika, Hynick earn top Pioneer honors
    MiLB.com Staff

Chris Valaika's 32-game hit streak set an all-time Pioneer League mark. (Billings Mustangs)

The Billings Mustangs placed a league-best three players on the Pioneer League's 2006 postseason All-Star Team, including Most Valuable Player Chris Valaika.

Valaika, a shorstop who is batting .340 with eight homers and 60 RBIs, had a 32-game hit streak stopped last Sunday. It was the longest streak in the history of the Pioneer League.

The Valencia, Calif., native joins his double-play partner, Justin Turner, and Mustangs pitcher Jordan Smith on the All-Star Team.

Casper placed two players on the team, including Pitcher of the Year Brandon Hynick.

Hynick went 4-3 this season in 12 starts with a 2.39 ERA in 64 innings pitched. The 6-foot-2 right-hander from Ohio allowed 55 hits and 17 earned runs with 70 strikeouts and eight walks.

Designated hitter Hector Gomez is also on the squad from Casper. He had a .327 batting average in 50 games with 66 hits and 35 RBIs.

Also nominated for Player of the Year and Pitcher of the Year were: Chris Errecart of Helena and Chris Carter of Great Falls, along with Sean O'Sullivan of Orem and Billings' Smith, respectively.

Other players named to the All-Star Team were catcher Andy Bouchie (Helena); first baseman Chris Carter (Great Falls); third baseman Josh Bell (Ogden); outfielders Gerrardo Parra (Missoula); Chris Pettit (Orem) and Errecart; and pitchers Osbek Castillo (Missoula), Rowdy Hardy (Idaho Falls), Hynick, Smith and O'Sullivan.

Rick Burleson of Billings was chosen as Manager for the All-Star squad. His Mustangs won the first-half North title and are ahead of Missoula and Helena for the second-half title as well.

Orem's Tom Kotchman, whose Owlz also won the first-half South title and are currently tied for first, was also named to the squad.

This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Hey, we kinda need one of them thar shortstop thingies.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by mtscorer View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm the official scorer for the Billings Mustangs. I'm always reading these boards but never signed up. Thought I might as well add my 2 cents, especially with the exciting season we are having in Billings this year.

Valaika is really off the charts. When you see him play you just know he is going to get a hit. And the streak doesn't seem to phase him. He's had 6 records in about 6 games (that includes tying and breaking the team record of 27 and tying and breaking the PL record, as well as tying and breaking the 2006 minors season high), and lately he's been getting hits in the first inning. Another record within his grasp is the SS Double Play record. The PL record is 53, he has 46 with 12 games to go. He is a great fielder too. Not only that, he leads the team in Sac Flys and HBP's, and I believe he's right up there in HR's on the team too. He's really an all-around talent.

Well I wish Chris the best of luck in Utah, 5 more road games until our last regular season homestand. A few more hits and he's got one of the best streaks in the minors in the past 30-40 years and 40 hit streaks haven't happened in about 50.
    Thanks for checking in, just saw this. If you are still lurking, any chance you can dredge up one of the Stubbs threads and let us know what you saw with him?

Turn Off Ads?