Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Battle for Hot Water

The Battle for Hot Water

quick question for those more experienced than i with apartment leases and tennant rights...

we've lived at this apartment for two months now, and have been struggling to get hot water the entire time. we figured since eight apartments share the same water heater it was just running out. however, me getting home at 2am and still having cold water quickly killed that theory.

what's actually happening is that the circuit blows out whenever more than one water source is going (even if it's cold water) and it will also blow at random. you have to reset the breaker(s), and hope that they actually stay set for 30 minutes or so. and if you reset the breaker less than five minutes after it blows, you run the risk of electric shock (i've been shocked twice).

when we would call the office to complain about it, we were always told they were in the process of getting someone to fix it. finally last week, we learned from the mantainence guy that it is a problem with the breaker box that he doesn't know how to fix. the next day the office finally sent an electrician to fix the box.

the problem now lies in he only fixed half the problem. he fixed the wiring that directly involves the water heater circuit, however, he left the wiring that supplies the water heater (and the washer for that matter) with its power as is. the result is that that circuit continually blows.

when we called the office a few minutes ago to let them know, they said they had done all they can do. when we offered them a little more light onto what's happening, they accused us (the tennants as a group) of illegal tamering of the circuit breaker.

my question is this; if the breaker/hot water issue doesn't get fixed, do we have some kind of legal recourse?

thanks for any input.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Battle for Hot Water

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    quick question for those more experienced than i with apartment leases and tennant rights...

we've lived at this apartment for two months now, and have been struggling to get hot water the entire time. we figured since eight apartments share the same water heater it was just running out. however, me getting home at 2am and still having cold water quickly killed that theory.

what's actually happening is that the circuit blows out whenever more than one water source is going (even if it's cold water) and it will also blow at random. you have to reset the breaker(s), and hope that they actually stay set for 30 minutes or so. and if you reset the breaker less than five minutes after it blows, you run the risk of electric shock (i've been shocked twice).

when we would call the office to complain about it, we were always told they were in the process of getting someone to fix it. finally last week, we learned from the mantainence guy that it is a problem with the breaker box that he doesn't know how to fix. the next day the office finally sent an electrician to fix the box.

the problem now lies in he only fixed half the problem. he fixed the wiring that directly involves the water heater circuit, however, he left the wiring that supplies the water heater (and the washer for that matter) with its power as is. the result is that that circuit continually blows.

when we called the office a few minutes ago to let them know, they said they had done all they can do. when we offered them a little more light onto what's happening, they accused us (the tennants as a group) of illegal tamering of the circuit breaker.

my question is this; if the breaker/hot water issue doesn't get fixed, do we have some kind of legal recourse?

thanks for any input.

You do have legal recourse. Thankfully the law most often sides with tenants over landlords. I would go to city hall and file a complaint until something is done about your situation. That, or if you have a relative or friend who is a lawyer, one mildly forceful letter on office letterhead usually stirs the bums into action. Not having hot water is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. You are entitled to such as a tenant, and a rent-paying one at that.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    You do have legal recourse. Thankfully the law most often sides with tenants over landlords. I would go to city hall and file a complaint until something is done about your situation. That, or if you have a relative or friend who is a lawyer, one mildly forceful letter on office letterhead usually stirs the bums into action. Not having hot water is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. You are entitled to such as a tenant, and a rent-paying one at that.
    thank you. that's not too far off from what i thought. i'm hoping i can get by by simply printing out the applicable section of the law/code involved and giving it to the landlord with the warning of possible legal action if not heeded.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

we had a similar problem with our water heater in one of our apartments. the bad thing is, i dont remember what the ACTUAL problem was. ask SC RedsFans. he would remember.

This site might help. I am a landlord, and believe me I would never leave a tenant hanging like that. NEVER. Not only is it bad for business, it is immoral.

http://www.ohiolandlordtenant.com/faq1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    This site might help. I am a landlord, and believe me I would never leave a tenant hanging like that. NEVER. Not only is it bad for business, it is immoral.

http://www.ohiolandlordtenant.com/faq1.html
    that's absolutely what i was looking for. thank you much.

and now i've just been shocked by the breaker box.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Start making your complaints to the landlord in writing with dated correspondence and registered letters, Ravenlord, and keep copies. With a paper trail, you can more easily make the case that you are entitled to back rent.

I get out of there as soon as you can for fear of a short and a fire.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

What amperage is the breaker? It sounds like they undersized the circuit.
    I'm not suggesting that you replace it with another but maybe you could suggest that they upgrade the breaker and the wiring which leads from the breaker to the water heater if necessary.

That's probably the problem. The water heater is constantly pulling more current than the breaker is sized for.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

after getting the signatures of the other seven tenants in this building,and having long 'discussion' with the landlord today, i forced her to call an electrician in front of me and give him instructions to repair the breaker regardless of cost. we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    What amperage is the breaker? It sounds like they undersized the circuit.
    i have no idea. there are chimps with better mechanical aptitude than me.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I get out of there as soon as you can for fear of a short and a fire.
    not really a problem...everything here is made of brick and the ceilings/floors are concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    not really a problem...everything here is made of brick and the ceilings/floors are concrete.
    Doesn't mean a fire can't start. Sounds like your landlord needs to have his skull rearranged.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Doesn't mean a fire can't start.
    the room would actually have to blow up. outside of a few plastic pieces about the utility room, it's pretty much flame retarded.

Sounds like your landlord needs to have his skull rearranged.
    the look she gave me when it finally occured to her that the courts, not her bosses, would actually be getting the rent from this building was priceless.
    a perfect mixture of complete hatered, terror, and bewilderment.

Turn Off Ads?