Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, So I went To The Ohio State Fair Today....

OK, So I went To The Ohio State Fair Today....

My daughter is 9 years old and the Disney Channel superstars Aly & AJ were there, so guess what I got to do. 10,000 screaming girls there (my ears will be ringing for quite some time I'm sure). But anyway, I'm amazed at the talent that the Disney marketing machine is putting out today. These girls are 17 and 15 respectively. I keep thinking back to when I was that age I had been playing the guitar for some time, but what I'm seeing kids do now, both musically and athletically is unbelievable. One has to think there is a huge price to be paid for all these kids to be making it so big at such an early age.

Anyway, it was a great show. I wish that when I had my band at 18-19 years old, I could've had a stage show like they did, but of course I didn't have Disney backing my play neither.

What's even funnier is that Aerosmith was one of the last mainstream concerts I went to see, and these girls had a much better stage presence about themselves than what Aerosmith did. Granted, Aerosmith was vehind the 8 ball as far as age plus year of hard living, but still.....
    Last edited by dman; 08-12-2006 at 05:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: OK, So I went To The Ohio State Fair Today....

Disney is super slick at packaging talent. They have the tween market down cold. If you ever have occasion to visit a city that has a Radio Disney station, give it a listen and you'll see what I mean. The tween in my house wants nothing to do with Nickelodeon now... his favorite shows are all on the Disney Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Disney is super slick at packaging talent. They have the tween market down cold. If you ever have occasion to visit a city that has a Radio Disney station, give it a listen and you'll see what I mean. The tween in my house wants nothing to do with Nickelodeon now... his favorite shows are all on the Disney Channel.
    I hear ya. If it's not Hannah Montana, Phil Of The future, or the Cheetah Girls, my daughter wants nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    I hear ya. If it's not Hannah Montana, Phil Of The future, or the Cheetah Girls, my daughter wants nothing to do with it.
    My girls are big into "The Suite Life"
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    My girls are big into "The Suite Life"
    Is it wrong for me to say I like Zack and Cody too?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Our household is breathlessly awaiting "High School Musical II".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Our household is breathlessly awaiting "High School Musical II".
    OMG! High School Musical music is played so much in my house that even I know the words to every song!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

OMG! High School Musical music is played so much in my house that even I know the words to every song!
    ...and then, "Jazz Hands".

I feel your pain.

At least it's a movie with a good message and we have other TV's in the house I can watch while it's on.

Yeah, me too. I think I've seen it at least 4-5 times now. My girls were watching some show lately and I said "hey, it's Sharpay". Which is a sad thing when *I* recognize the kids in it.

Good article on the movie and Disney machine at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13881742/site/newsweek/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Thank goodness I'm still stuck on Playhouse Disney.

My time is coming.

Stupid Doodlebops.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Zach and Cody were much better as Frankenstein.

This is why we don't have cable in the "Beer" house.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    This is why we don't have cable in the "Beer" house.
    This is why there are no children in the plum house.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I was doing a pretty good job of keeping my son away from the Disney Channel. The problem with Disney is that for every quality movie and program they put on, they produce an equally cheap and empty piece of dreck that rips off some previous show or movie. For example, I think Little Einsteins is great, but I can't stand the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the Doodlebops. The Lion King is, once again, great. Mickey Mouse's "Around the World in 80 Days" looks like it was done by a third grader on cheap animation software.

Unfortunately, my in-laws conspired against me. When he came back from spending a week with them, it was all "Doodlebops" and "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    The problem with Disney is that for every quality movie and program they put on, they produce an equally cheap and empty piece of dreck that rips off some previous show or movie.
    But it's still better than the crap on network TV. I'll take Nick, Disney or Cartoon Network any day over Fox and the WB.

But happy day for us, creek jr is more into the Animal Planet these days than any of the above.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?