Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: Wild card teams should have greater disadvantage

Opinion: Wild card teams should have greater disadvantage

Playoffs gone wild: Division titlists penalized
    Posted 8/15/2006 2:03 AM ET
    In his perfect baseball world, Bud Selig would be invited to Capitol Hill to testify about the wonders of the wild card. No congressmen would press the commissioner about trivial matters involving chemically altered sluggers and their long-balling brand of consumer fraud.
    Under oath, the politicians would ask Selig to explain how he injected the national pastime with a healthy dose of postseason hope.

The wild card has been a godsend for Selig, helping fill his stadiums at record levels and deflecting attention from the performance-enhancing plague. In the context of Selig's legacy, the wild card is in first place on the good side of his scorecard, with the World Baseball Classic claiming, well, the wild card.

Many fan bases that would have been cooked before their Fourth of July barbecues are now allowed to dream the impossible late-summer dream. This leads to bigger crowds, higher stakes and worthy September drama to counter the all-engulfing monstrosity that is the NFL.

But today's positively mad National League race for the ultimate consolation prize has thrown a spotlight on a flaw in the postseason system. Wild cards have it too easy in October. It's high time to punish them for spending a six-month season playing for second place.

Wild cards should get one home game in the five-game Division Series, and one only. Make it the first game so they don't feel unwashed and unwanted, then send them off to play a four-game series at the home of a team that actually won something during the regular season.

Otherwise, dominant teams such as this year's Mets will enjoy almost no advantage for winning, say, 17 more games than the first-round opponent. The Mets could clear 100 victories in a lousy league and end up sharing a five-night date with Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettitte, with two dates booked for Houston.

"I always thought the first round should be seven games," Mets GM Omar Minaya said.

Only Selig doesn't want his World Series winner parading under a snowstorm instead of a ticker-tape rain. The first round will stay at five, so other measures need to be taken to enhance the value of a division title while allowing runner-up markets to bask in wild-card possibilities.

Stripping a home playoff game from the best of the rest would be a fine place to start.

"We've talked a lot about that," Selig said Monday. "It's a suggestion some general managers have made. At the moment, I want to leave it as is, but in the offseason we'll look at it again."

Five wild cards have appeared in the last four World Series, with three taking the champagne bath. It's not hard to figure out why. Division leaders always have a fallback plan. But those strictly in the wild-card race are playing life-and-death games through the back end of September, making for dangerous postseason foes.

"You have the adrenaline flowing much more than the teams that clinched early," Minaya said. "You also feel like you're playing with house money, and that gives you confidence."

Wild cards also enter the postseason knowing baseball is governed by a simple rule: Regardless of site or seed, the team with the best pitcher is the team that wins. A visiting football team is more likely to be undone by a frozen playoff tundra, and a visiting basketball team is more likely to suffer the playoff consequences of an angry, suffocating crowd influencing an official's call.

So the lower baseball seed negotiates October on something of a level field. "But it's not like our wild card is some sort of poor relation that doesn't deserve to be there," Selig said.

Baseball allows eight of 30 teams (26.7%) into the playoffs; the NFL allows 12 of 32 (37.5%). The NHL allows an absurd 16 of 30 (53.3%), while the NBA lets in everyone but the Knicks.

So Selig was right when he established one wild card per league for the 1995 season; far too many teams were being eliminated far too soon. "And now the sport is having another amazing year," he said.

Selig predicted this year's attendance total would break last year's record of nearly 75 million, and, yes, the wild card has helped. But with everybody and their sub-.500 brothers scrambling to seize that backup NL bid, baseball should ensure that future 102-win seasons are worth the blood, sweat and tears. "We'll consider it," Selig said.

The commissioner should consider punishing those who settle for second best and letting the Division Series honor the division champ.

Ian O'Connor also writes for The (Westchester County, N.Y.) Journal News
    Find this article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...-oconnor_x.htm
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opinion: Wild card teams should have greater disadvantage

Wild cards have it too easy in October. It's high time to punish them for spending a six-month season playing for second place.
    With the exception of the East, the contenders for the Wild Card in the Central and the West are also playing for the Division title. I know we are.

I think the Wild Card was a good idea, with the current division alignment, but I would prefer having only 2 divisions in each league. I get sick of watching the Reds play the same teams over and over as well. I still can't understand how it makes sense to have 6 teams in the Central and 5 in the East and West. The AL is messed up as well with 5 teams in the East and Central and only 4 in the West.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    With the exception of the East, the contenders for the Wild Card in the Central and the West are also playing for the Division title. I know we are.
    And he's saying that if you end up in second place, with a wild card bid, you should have it tougher than the division winners.

That's a tough one though as it can't just be done to favor the division champs. It seems like half the time the wild card team has a better record than one of the division champs. For instance, last year the Astros were ahead of the Padres and often the Red Sox/Yankees second place team is ahead of the AL Central/West winner.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    That's a tough one though as it can't just be done to favor the division champs. It seems like half the time the wild card team has a better record than one of the division champs. For instance, last year the Astros were ahead of the Padres and often the Red Sox/Yankees second place team is ahead of the AL Central/West winner.
    That's only because there are too many divisions.

I'd be in favor of breaking it down to 2 divisions per league, with no wild card. And if it's too unfair that the 2nd place finisher in one division has a better record than the first place finisher in the other division, well, then let's go back to 2 leagues, with NO divisions. And while we're at it, let's throw San Diego and Montreal out of the league (and Arizona and send Milwaukee back to the AL) and go back to 1968, with a 15 inch high mound.

I'm only slightly joking. And I realize that wild cards are here to stay- more teams involved in the pennant race that way.

But part of me pines for the good old days....sigh
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    That's only because there are too many divisions.

I'd be in favor of breaking it down to 2 divisions per league, with no wild card. And if it's too unfair that the 2nd place finisher in one division has a better record than the first place finisher in the other division, well, then let's go back to 2 leagues, with NO divisions. And while we're at it, let's throw San Diego and Montreal out of the league (and Arizona and send Milwaukee back to the AL) and go back to 1968, with a 15 inch high mound.

I'm only slightly joking. And I realize that wild cards are here to stay- more teams involved in the pennant race that way.

But part of me pines for the good old days....sigh

Was that the same days when the Yankees or Dodgers won every year? Fans in New York and LA or also pining for the good old day. Actually though I do wish we still had that Dodger rivalry from the 70s. It just seems that we don't have any enemies like that anymore.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I think there should be the same three divisions in each League.

No Wild Card.

The team with the best record gets a first round bye.

MLB or the TV networks would not agree with this ($).
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    I think there should be the same three divisions in each League.

No Wild Card.
    Can't agree with this. The Wild Card has been, IMO, the best addition baseball has made in a long, long time. We can bicker about division alignments and whatnot, but the Wild Card has added an extra level of excitement for fans and provided the opportunity for some very deserving--and very good--teams to make the playoffs and, in two cases, win the World Series. In my opinion, the argument that wild card teams didn't have the merit to make it to the postseason evaporated when the Marlins won the Series in 1997.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Was that the same days when the Yankees or Dodgers won every year? Fans in New York and LA or also pining for the good old day. Actually though I do wish we still had that Dodger rivalry from the 70s. It just seems that we don't have any enemies like that anymore.
    Actually the Yankees have done pretty well in the "new era."

Mostly I was referring to a more uncomplicated time, when the winner of the NL was, well, the National League champ, and went to the World Series.

It's not right that a team can win 108 regular season games, and then have to play a wild card team, with maybe 85 wins, in a short series wheere anything can happen, for the right to proceed to the next round. I think that team with the best record has earned the right, over a very long season, to NOT have to prove itself over and over again, until at least the NL championship, or even the WS.
    sorry we're boring

This is a cool discussion right now, considering the Reds could be the "lucky" Wild Card team with 85 wins that gets to play in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    Actually the Yankees have done pretty well in the "new era."

Mostly I was referring to a more uncomplicated time, when the winner of the NL was, well, the National League champ, and went to the World Series.

It's not right that a team can win 108 regular season games, and then have to play a wild card team, with maybe 85 wins, in a short series wheere anything can happen, for the right to proceed to the next round. I think that team with the best record has earned the right, over a very long season, to NOT have to prove itself over and over again, until at least the NL championship, or even the WS.
    What if an American League team wins 85 and wins the AL but the NL team wins 108? That isn't fair either. Look I know what you are saying and part of me agrees with it. But I think baseball made a good decision by adding just one wildcard. Every sport has their top teams automatically get to go to playoffs while some second and even third or forth place can go in some sports. Would you like to change it so that just the top teams go to the NCAA tournament? I think we can all agree that it has been a huge success. If a team can win 108 games then they should also prove that they are the best by winning 11 more games.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Oh, I totally agree that baseball is not as watered down as the rest of the pro sports leagues.

And I know we're not going back to the way it was, either.

But casual fans of all sports seem to love the wild card idea, as it does create excitement (even if it's somewhat contrived?) toward the end of long, boring seasons. It's mostly the purists that object, and when it comes to baseball, I'm probably, well... a little bit of a snob.

I understand your point about Al v. NL champs, and all I can say is ... well, that's the way it's always been!
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Would you like to change it so that just the top teams go to the NCAA tournament? I think we can all agree that it has been a huge success.
    Big difference... entrance to the NCAA tourney is subjective for quite a few teams.

Oh, I totally agree that baseball is not as watered down as the rest of the pro sports leagues.
    Really???

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I think the Wild Card was a good idea, with the current division alignment, but I would prefer having only 2 divisions in each league. I get sick of watching the Reds play the same teams over and over as well. I still can't understand how it makes sense to have 6 teams in the Central and 5 in the East and West. The AL is messed up as well with 5 teams in the East and Central and only 4 in the West.
    15 and 15, with five teams in each division, means interleague play every day.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?