Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: In case you are interested...

Re: In case you are interested...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Supposedly it is only temporary, as it would be for the Reds. Without a doubt this team needs RH bullpen help.

I would sure to hate to think if this team misses the playoffs by a game and Bailey could have actually helped this team out of the bullpen.
    I'm sure that Bailey could come up here now and help the team in the bullpen. Why I'm against it though is that I'd like the Reds to show some long-term consistancy instead of making the playoffs one year and being a perennial loser the next 10. In order to accomplish that, they have to develop a strong minor league system and that starts with Bailey.

Like I said, he could probably help in the bullpen, but IMO it would hinder his development and future.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Papelbon says hello
    Papelbon is also 5 years older than Homer Bailey. Turning a 25 year old starter into a reliever may not do anything to his mind, doing it to a 20 year old on the other hand is a completely different story. As for the Papelbon thing being temporary, I will believe it when I see it. He has been so good as a closer, I am not sure they will pull that trigger until he struggles some.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I'm sure that Bailey could come up here now and help the team in the bullpen. Why I'm against it though is that I'd like the Reds to show some long-term consistancy instead of making the playoffs one year and being a perennial loser the next 10.
    will the career years the Reds are getting from a number of players going to be repeated next year?

Will the NL be as universally mediocre as it is this year?

The Reds may not get another chance for 10 years. This team as currently contructed is not built for lots of future successes.

ok, is TC a scout?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yes, he is.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    So TC, do you start him in AAA next year then? What about Arizona? If he has a great spring in '07, is he in "danger" of making the major league rotation?
    I think that I would start him in AAA. He would really need to show that he has bcome more consistent with his pitches. I think that he will. I would find it remarkable that he would make the big league club out of ST. I could not see his "stuff" becoming that good over the winter. Can't rule it out either. Not like it has never happened before. I would not let him participate in the Arizona fall league. No real need for it.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Supposedly it is only temporary, as it would be for the Reds. Without a doubt this team needs RH bullpen help.

I would sure to hate to think if this team misses the playoffs by a game and Bailey could have actually helped this team out of the bullpen.
    I certainly see what you are saying. You have a valid point. You just have to trust the guys you have in the pen. They have to get the job done. Bailey in the pen would have to be a last resort. If it has come down to that then maybe the season is already lost.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10
    ok, is TC a scout?
    AND I work in Player Development. I have not completely turned over to the Dark Side!!
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I certainly see what you are saying. You have a valid point. You just have to trust the guys you have in the pen. They have to get the job done. Bailey in the pen would have to be a last resort. If it has come down to that then maybe the season is already lost.
    currently the Reds have 3 RHP in the pen. They are going to be playing the heavily RH teams of the Cards and Pirates. They may be down to 2 RHP in the pen if Franklin goes to the rotation. I'm not sure pitching Michalak against the slap hitting Pirates makes a lot of sense.

The Reds may not get another chance for 10 years. This team as currently contructed is not built for lots of future successes.

Therein lies the problem. I agree, it's current contruction is not built for long-term success. The philosophies that this organization has taken on for the last 10 years or so has to change, or this acceptance of mediocrity will continue. The Reds will never be able to compete on the free agent market with the higher payroll teams, so in order to achieve any consistant success, it has to develop a strong minor league system. Boston can get away with bringing up their best starting prospect and putting them in the bullpen "temporarily," the Reds simply cannot take that risk.

Boston can get away with bringing up their best starting prospect and putting them in the bullpen "temporarily," the Reds simply cannot take that risk.
    I fail to see the risk. I suppose it depends on what they do the remainder of the season. Certainly pitching out of the pen is less stressful than being a starter and would limit his innings. His workload profile to this point of his career suggests he should not go beyond 150-160IP this season.

I fail to see the risk. I suppose it depends on what they do the remainder of the season. Certainly pitching out of the pen is less stressful than being a starter and would limit his innings. His workload profile to this point of his career suggests he should not go beyond 150-160IP this season.
    I guess I see the possible risk being, since you've taken this young starter and conditioned his arm and mind to be a major league closer, will he be capable of being converted back into the starter you originally thought he could be. IMO, the value of a good starter far outweighs the value of a good closer.

And I'm not so sure there is less stress on a reliever than a starter. The stresses between the two are different, but just as equal in my mind.

I guess I see the possible risk being, since you've taken this young starter and conditioned his arm and mind to be a major league closer, will he be capable of being converted back into the starter you originally thought he could be. IMO, the value of a good starter far outweighs the value of a good closer.
    the mindset is to get the current hitter out. As a reliever you have to do it 3-6 times in a night instead of 18-27.

The Reds are short of RHP relievers and the only real option is activating Belisle, what happens if it doesn't go well of his back acts up again?

The Reds are almost out of options at this point and if they really want to win this year ...

The point is the Bailey is probably the best option the Reds have at this point. Is it ideal? No but if you really want to win now then you had better pull out the stops and go for it.

If Standridge could grow some Marbles he would be outstanding in the pen.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    If Standridge could grow some Marbles he would be outstanding in the pen.
    but he is on the DL with "back problems" as well. Back problems are always a huge warning flag and completely unpredictable.

Turn Off Ads?