Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: In case you are interested...

Re: In case you are interested...

No, no, not the guy for the Cardinals...oh you mean for the Angels.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    That's funny. I actually had just posted in the game thread how I didn't think there was a comparison between Mathieson and Bailey, but edited my post and completely changed my opinion (or it was changed after I was made aware of new info) after reading TC's post. Some might think that is stupid, but I've never seen Bailey pitch and TC has, I don't have a problem admitting when someone knows more than I.
    Bailey has all the tools and makeup of a sharp #1 pitching prospect. There's just a little more to it than that. I'll give you an idea of what I am talking about. I caught throughout my career and have caught guys with ridiculous "stuff" i.e. Isringhausen, Percival, K-Rod, Pulsipher before he went coo-koo and many others. When I first caught Izzy he only had a good fastball. Then came the slider and THEN came a really nice curve. It took him quite some time to pull all of that together. K-Rod's slider was so amazing in Angels camp that Big leaguers were coming over to watch him throw. This was in 2002 before anyone had really heard of him. Percival almost broke my thumb on several occasions.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    You're right. I never want to deter somebody from expressing opinions. And sometimes things that are written (typed) come across a lot differently than what somebody wanted to convey.

But you sir, are a welath of info when it comes to your trade, and I'm more than happy to stick up for you and pay you due hommage.
    Sham and dman thank you both for the comments.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

TC, did you ever catch Paul Wilson as a youngster? What did you think of him. I have heard some say he had similar stuff to Bailey at one time.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Yes. I caught Paul on many occasions. Mostly while he was rehabbing in Norfolk. He was pretty much finished back then. He was "scared" to throw. He kept expecting the pain to come back. I was just talking to Rob Dibble about that a few days ago. Because of the fact that he wouldn't go full out on his pitches he threw poorly. Every year that he has been in the big leagues, except one, he has given up more hits than innings pitched because he is VERY hittable. When he first came on the scene he truly was a phenom. 4 pitches for strikes including a 95+ MPH FB. Hit all of his spots and the disparity in speeds between pitches was very unsettling. I wished I had that kind of talent.

I saw him throw up close at GAB and he was about the same or worse. Having said all of that.... Paul Wilson is one of the nicest, classiest professionals I know. He's the type of person that most of us aspire to be. He makes Casey look like a punk. That's how good of a guy Paul is.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 08-12-2006 at 09:05 PM.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Believer since 1981

Completely agre TC... Met Paul Wilson and Danny Graves in at Atlanta, hung out with them all night, in a hotel bar, talked baseball, they were super nice and respectful to my wife. Paul Wilson was just a super cool guy, and not your typical ball player. Met a lot of the guys, only one guy wasnt very friendly. Great experience. And after hanging out all night, we showed up for BP the next day in ATL, got their attention, and they came over and talked to us, and threw a couple of baseballs our way. Really awesome guys.

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    Completely agre TC... Met Paul Wilson and Danny Graves in at Atlanta, hung out with them all night, in a hotel bar, talked baseball, they were super nice and respectful to my wife. Paul Wilson was just a super cool guy, and not your typical ball player. Met a lot of the guys, only one guy wasnt very friendly. Great experience. And after hanging out all night, we showed up for BP the next day in ATL, got their attention, and they came over and talked to us, and threw a couple of baseballs our way. Really awesome guys.
    Good to hear. I knew Danny pretty well. Always cool with me. I'd What year was that? I'd like to take a guess at who the not so nice person was... We can do it via PM.
    Cedric 3/24/08

TC,

Great info. Earlier on in the year they were using the excuse about him holding runners on. But after hearing more and seeing him in the Futures Game its painfully obvious that all he has is a fastball. With that being said. Most 1 inning relief pitchers can get by on having 1 real good pitch and 1 so-so pitch. Could Bailey in your opinion help this team now out of the Bullpen??

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    I'm aware of what Team Clark does, Im not tryin to argue with his knowledge. I just believe Homer Bailey would be able to pitch to the Reds and not give up 6 ER in 3 1/3 innings though.
    Maybe, but believe it or not, so could some other guys in the Reds rotation.

And, in the long run, it would hurt Homer more than it would help. Just because he can whoop on AA batters, does not guarantee he'd do the same in the bigs... more than likely, the whooping would be on the other foot.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    In case anyone is interested in knowing how Homer Bailey would do in the bigs right now..... Tune into Fox and watch Scott Mathieson.

Same type of fastabll, delivery and pitch selection. Scott like Homer has difficulty "consistently" throwing anything but his fastballs for strikes. Big leaguers can hit a 95+ MPH Fastball if they know it's coming.

We had someone at Homer's last start. He threw 18 Curves and only 4 for strikes. His "misses" were not "tight" misses but wide. That's mechanical. He attempted 1 changeup that landed "at least 2 feet" in front of home plate.

He's just not ready. He will be and when he is he will be good. Really good. He's just not ready.
    My greatest peeve is that I'm not sure there is anyone in the Reds' system who knows how to fix the "mechanical" problems of pitchers.

My second greatest peeve is that you can have ten or fifteen people on this board who can spot mechanical trouble and pitch tipping, etc., and yet no one in the organization seems to catch it. And if you do get word to someone in the organization, they seem to laugh it off as internet fodder and still don't see any problems after they have been alerted to it.

That'swhy I enjoy TC's posts and observations so much. I figure sooner or later, someone will listen.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    TC,

Great info. Earlier on in the year they were using the excuse about him holding runners on. But after hearing more and seeing him in the Futures Game its painfully obvious that all he has is a fastball. With that being said. Most 1 inning relief pitchers can get by on having 1 real good pitch and 1 so-so pitch. Could Bailey in your opinion help this team now out of the Bullpen??
    No. The Reds need to groom him as a starting pitcher. There is a process involved in that. They do not need to "break the cycle" just to help the bullpen. IMO.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Maybe, but believe it or not, so could some other guys in the Reds rotation.

And, in the long run, it would hurt Homer more than it would help. Just because he can whoop on AA batters, does not guarantee he'd do the same in the bigs... more than likely, the whooping would be on the other foot.
    You tell 'em baby. I got your back. When are we going to go eat anyway?
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    That'swhy I enjoy TC's posts and observations so much. I figure sooner or later, someone will listen.
    You would think so. I have passed quite a bit on but I'm not sure it has sunk in. People in Baseball stay pretty tight with one another and often try to help each other out. Occasionally you get some folks who have too much pride and can not accept what you say or what you are seeing. It's a shame but what are you going to do? I guess you just laugh.

You are correct that the Reds do have a lot of "bottom of the barrell" coaches. Not all of them are bad, but most are. Most unqualified LOWEST bidder gets the job.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    In case anyone is interested in knowing how Homer Bailey would do in the bigs right now..... Tune into Fox and watch Scott Mathieson.

Same type of fastabll, delivery and pitch selection. Scott like Homer has difficulty "consistently" throwing anything but his fastballs for strikes. Big leaguers can hit a 95+ MPH Fastball if they know it's coming.

We had someone at Homer's last start. He threw 18 Curves and only 4 for strikes. His "misses" were not "tight" misses but wide. That's mechanical. He attempted 1 changeup that landed "at least 2 feet" in front of home plate. He's just not ready. He will be and when he is he will be good. Really good. He's just not ready.
    When I talked to Hal in Houston he told me the same type of thing. I agree Homer isn't ready.

I am ready for bed like 3 hours ago but i am enjoying the hell out of this conversation.
    Baseball is life

Turn Off Ads?