Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In case you are interested...

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

In case you are interested...

In case anyone is interested in knowing how Homer Bailey would do in the bigs right now..... Tune into Fox and watch Scott Mathieson.

Same type of fastabll, delivery and pitch selection. Scott like Homer has difficulty "consistently" throwing anything but his fastballs for strikes. Big leaguers can hit a 95+ MPH Fastball if they know it's coming.

We had someone at Homer's last start. He threw 18 Curves and only 4 for strikes. His "misses" were not "tight" misses but wide. That's mechanical. He attempted 1 changeup that landed "at least 2 feet" in front of home plate.

He's just not ready. He will be and when he is he will be good. Really good. He's just not ready.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In case you are interested...

I wouldnt judge on how Homer Bailey would do in the bigs by comparing him to Scott Mathieson.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    In case anyone is interested in knowing how Homer Bailey would do in the bigs right now..... Tune into Fox and watch Scott Mathieson.

Same type of fastabll, delivery and pitch selection. Scott like Homer has difficulty "consistently" throwing anything but his fastballs for strikes. Big leaguers can hit a 95+ MPH Fastball if they know it's coming.

We had someone at Homer's last start. He threw 18 Curves and only 4 for strikes. His "misses" were not "tight" misses but wide. That's mechanical. He attempted 1 changeup that landed "at least 2 feet" in front of home plate.

He's just not ready. He will be and when he is he will be good. Really good. He's just not ready.
    Wow I have been wondering how his curve was coming along, 4 out 18 sounds like it's not.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

That was Homer's worst outing at AA this year as far as control is concerned. He also gave up what, 1 run even with those 5 or 6 walks he had through 6 innings.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    I wouldnt judge on how Homer Bailey would do in the bigs by comparing him to Scott Mathieson.
    I absolutely would. I have seen both pitch in person. Bailey 3 times. Mathieson 4. Are they exactly the same? Nope. HOWEVER, delivery, arm speed, pitches, arm action, finish, and projectability are almost all equal. Bailey has a higher ceiling in my opinion.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Sham

Thanks for the info TC, always insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    Wow I have been wondering how his curve was coming along, 4 out 18 sounds like it's not.

What's more amazing is that he is throwing 90+% Fastballs and is dominating. His fastaballs are straight as an arrow. Fortunately he has good deception and they just happen to be coming in at 96 MPH on avg.
    Cedric 3/24/08

That was Homer's worst outing at AA this year as far as control is concerned. He also gave up what, 1 run even with those 5 or 6 walks he had through 6 innings.
    Hey, I'm not saying Homer is crap. He's just not ready. He also touched 98MPH on the gun a handful of times. Not too shabby.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Just in case you were wondering, Team Clark has probably forgotten more about how to judge prospects than most of us will ever know. I'm not saying you were getting into a pissing match with him, but it appeared to be headed that way. A wise person on this board once told me not to get into a pissing match with an empty bladder. Believe me, Team Clark has a full bladder when it comes to scouting and prospect topics.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Just in case you were wondering, Team Clark has probably forgotten more about how to judge prospects than most of us will ever know. I'm not saying you were getting into a pissing match with him, but it appeared to be headed that way. A wise person on this board once told me not to get into a pissing match with an empty bladder. Believe me, Team Clark has a full bladder when it comes to scouting and prospect topics.
    dman, I appreciate the comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is what makes this board so great. Thanks again for the kind words. I'm pretty good at my job but I am no Roy Clark.
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'm aware of what Team Clark does, Im not tryin to argue with his knowledge. I just believe Homer Bailey would be able to pitch to the Reds and not give up 6 ER in 3 1/3 innings though.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    That's funny. I actually had just posted in the game thread how I didn't think there was a comparison between Mathieson and Bailey, but edited my post and completely changed my opinion (or it was changed after I was made aware of new info) after reading TC's post. Some might think that is stupid, but I've never seen Bailey pitch and TC has, I don't have a problem admitting when someone knows more than I.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I'm aware of what Team Clark does, Im not tryin to argue with his knowledge. I just believe Homer Bailey would be able to pitch to the Reds and not give up 6 ER in 4 1/3 innings though.
    It would be pretty cool to see him come up and pull a Jared Weaver.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Sham

TC you are the only reason I still read this board. Thanks for the real info.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    dman, I appreciate the comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is what makes this board so great. Thanks again for the kind words. I'm pretty good at my job but I am no Roy Clark.
    You're right. I never want to deter somebody from expressing opinions. And sometimes things that are written (typed) come across a lot differently than what somebody wanted to convey.

But you sir, are a welath of info when it comes to your trade, and I'm more than happy to stick up for you and pay you due hommage.

Turn Off Ads?