Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercker blew out his elbow, most likely to retire per Marc

Mercker blew out his elbow, most likely to retire per Marc

PHILADELPHIA -- Apologies for my late arrival, I've been out most of the day.

First, the bad news. It sounds as if Kent Mercker's 20-year professional career probably came to an end last night. He apparently believes he blew out his elbow, and if that's the case I imagine he's done for good.

Pending a more thorough examination, Mercker was placed on the 15-day DL and veteran left-hander Chris Michalak called up to bolster a completely worn-out bullpen. Michalak, 35, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2002, but he has been very effective as a starter for Louisville this year, going 9-5 with a 2.99 ERA. If EZ gets in trouble early today, he'll probably get the call.
    That sucks. Merck had a very good career and you never want to see it end on an injury.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Re: Mercker blew out his elbow, most likely to retire per Marc

The last 7 or 8 outings he was throwing gas. 91-93 mph. I think he knew his time was short, and wanted to go out with a bang. He did. He got us out of some jams this year.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I've always liked guys who wanted to pitch for us and Merck obviously did since he kept coming back.

Hope its not over for him though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Hate to hear that. I like Mercker. He's a good guy as well as an effective reliever. He's had a good career. Best of luck to him if this is the end.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Sad to see a career end like that
    Go Gators!

That's sad, but he had some good highlights to his career like his no-hitter.

Excellent career for Kent. Here's hoping the prognosis is wrong, but I think he was talking retirement a week ago anyway. I, too, noticed that he seemed to like pitching for the Reds. Any Reds fan is a friend of mine. Salut!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    That's sad, but he had some good highlights to his career like his no-hitter.
    And overcoming that brain aneurysm or whatever it was he had right in the middle of a game a few years back.

Kent is a great guy. I wish him nothing but the best.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro
    Kent is a great guy. I wish him nothing but the best.
    I've heard your brother say in interviews a few times that both Mercker and Weathers schooled him a lot in the ways of being an excellent bullpen guy at the MLB level.

I lost some respect for him in the whole Cubs/Dusty Baker/Steve Stone drama, but Coffey's comments brought my respect for him back up.

He's always seem to be a class guy, and I wish him the best for whatever he does next.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19

He's always seem to be a class guy, and I wish him the best for whatever he does next.
    I was listening to the Marlins/Dbacks game tonight and they said:

"Mercker claimes he will never go on the DL next season. 'You can't put me on the DL when I'm on the golf course. This is my last year'"

Mercker grew up in my hometown, so it's cool to see him finish a Red. His family is here, so he always liked playing for the Reds the best since it's close to home.

He had a great career, but too bad about the elbow...
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Aw, shoot, that figures.
    However, I had long heard he was going to retire after this season, or at least was giving it serious consideration.
    The quote provided by AvesIce is one I believe I have read a couple of times before. In fact, I think it was made during his last stint on the DL.
    It is a shame. I would have liked to see him pitch for us in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I was listening to the Marlins/Dbacks game tonight and they said:

"Mercker claimes he will never go on the DL next season. 'You can't put me on the DL when I'm on the golf course. This is my last year'"
    That isn't exactly what he said, but that's what he meant. If I remember, I'll dig up the article tomorrow (too late right now).

Darn. I wish his arm could have held out until the end of the season. I hate to see guys go out like this. It would have been nice to have paid him tribute at the end of the year before the last home game.... hopefully, they still will. Though, if he's out for the year, I doubt he'll be in the dugout.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 08-13-2006 at 02:52 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?