Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Royce Clayton

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Huntington WV
    Posts
    97

    Royce Clayton

    Why isn't Rich Aurilla or Brandon Phillips playing shortstop. Stop me if I am wrong but Royce is just as a liability as Lopez was. At least RA will hit the ball. It is a shame that we continue to set RA, Phillips, Hateberg, or EE. It's terrible that the Reds are in a pennant race, and we can't play the best players possible.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Davey BuckWoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    911

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Whoa, now there's a fresh new take on the situation. Why hasn't this been discussed on here more often!?!

    Just bustin' your chops, james. This has been discussed over and over and over on here.

    The consensus seems to be that Clayton is the last person anyone on RedsZone wants at SS. Aurilia is next least desirable because it is a big step down defensively and his lefty/righty splits at the plate dictate he'd be better in the lineup against lefties only. Castro will give you the best D out there, although some will question that as well. He hits about as well as Clayton so he seems a nice choice given the situation.

    There is also the “move Philips to short and stick Aurilia at second” school of thought. That one looks like a pipe dream since the current Reds brain trust won’t move BP over this late in the season.

    I think that about covers it....maybe.

  4. #3
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Re: Royce Clayton

    We get our wish today.

  5. #4
    Davey BuckWoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    911

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Well, today's a good day to try it with our fly ball pitcher extraordinaire going. We may not need any infield defense.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    547

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by jamess697
    Why isn't Rich Aurilla or Brandon Phillips playing shortstop. Stop me if I am wrong but Royce is just as a liability as Lopez was. At least RA will hit the ball. It is a shame that we continue to set RA, Phillips, Hateberg, or EE. It's terrible that the Reds are in a pennant race, and we can't play the best players possible.
    Stop. You're wrong.

    Clayton gets to as many balls as Lopez, and doesn't throw nearly as many away. About the only plus Lopez has on defense is a much stronger arm, which makes him a better bet to win a stuffed animal at the county fair.
    Last edited by KySteveH; 08-15-2006 at 01:13 AM.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH
    Stop. You're wrong.

    Clayton gets to as many balls as Clayton


    If you meant to say Clayton gets to as many balls as Lopez, I can say without a doubt that you're the one that is wrong.

  8. #7
    throws 106. NBD.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Royce Clayton is the worst baseball player in the history of the league. It's science.

  9. #8
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    Royce Clayton is the worst baseball player in the history of the league. It's science.
    And yet, he's been playing for 15 seasons and has appeared in over 2,000 games. If he was the worst player in the history of the league, wouldn't the other teams have figured that out by now and stopped trading for him/signing him?

    The truth is, there have been--and are--far worse players than Clayton in baseball. But it's simply easier to throw around vague generalities when trying to support a point.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  10. #9
    throws 106. NBD.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    And yet, he's been playing for 15 seasons and has appeared in over 2,000 games. If he was the worst player in the history of the league, wouldn't the other teams have figured that out by now and stopped trading for him/signing him?

    The truth is, there have been--and are--far worse players than Clayton in baseball. But it's simply easier to throw around vague generalities when trying to support a point.
    I was only kidding, for the most part. There was a good Anchorman reference in another thread and I thought I could get one in on this one.

    Of course he isn't the worst player in the history of the league. He's been around a long time and has contributed to many teams. I do consider him to be the worst player on the Reds 25 man roster, however. And if you are the worst player on the 25 man roster you should not be starting as much as he is. In fact, you probably shouldn't be starting ever.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Eric Leckner played in almost 500 games over 8 years in the NBA.

    Ergo

    Eric Leckner is a good player.

    Right?

  12. #11
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    Of course he isn't the worst player in the history of the league. He's been around a long time and has contributed to many teams. I do consider him to be the worst player on the Reds 25 man roster, however. And if you are the worst player on the 25 man roster you should not be starting as much as he is. In fact, you probably shouldn't be starting ever.
    At best, Clayton should be platooning with Castro, but it sounds ridiculous just typing that. I would hope that they give Phillips a nice, long look in the offseason at shortstop, because if Brandon doesn't transition over there, I have no idea what that position holds for the Reds in '07.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  13. #12
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmazamma
    Eric Leckner played in almost 500 games over 8 years in the NBA.

    Ergo

    Eric Leckner is a good player.

    Right?
    If he was the worst NBA player of all time, he'd still be the best basektball player you ever knew.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  14. #13
    throws 106. NBD.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    At best, Clayton should be platooning with Castro, but it sounds ridiculous just typing that. I would hope that they give Phillips a nice, long look in the offseason at shortstop, because if Brandon doesn't transition over there, I have no idea what that position holds for the Reds in '07.
    They shouldn't even be platooning. Here is how they match up offensively in their time in Cincinnati this season:

    ...........G AB R H HR RBI BB SO OBP SLG AVG
    Clayton 25 84 9 20 2 8 6 18 .289 .345 .238
    Castro 28 58 6 18 2 8 3 6 .344 .500 .310

    Add in Castro's glove and he is the clear-cut better choice to be the everyday SS, IMO.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    547

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice


    If you meant to say Clayton gets to as many balls as Lopez, I can say without a doubt that you're the one that is wrong.
    That's what I meant. For 2006, here are the two players' defensive stats:

    Clayton: RF = 4.32, ZR = .819
    Lopez: RF = 3.94, ZR = .779

    That .779 ZR is the worst among qualifying ML shortstops. No other SS has a ZR below .8, in fact. Clayton's numbers aren't good, but Lopez's are worse.

    The only way you might have been able to say I was wrong was if you had said that I was too kind to Lopez. What I should have said was that Clayton gets to more balls than Lopez.
    Last edited by KySteveH; 08-15-2006 at 01:42 AM.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: Royce Clayton

    Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH
    That's what I meant. For 2006, here are the two players' defensive stats:

    Clayton: RF = 4.32, ZR = .819
    Lopez: RF = 3.94, ZR = .779

    That .779 ZR is the worst among qualifying ML shortstops. No other SS has a ZR below .8, in fact. Clayton's numbers aren't good, but Lopez's are worse.

    The only way you might have been able to say I was wrong was if you had said that I was too kind to Lopez. What I should have said was that Clayton gets to more balls than Lopez.
    I just don't see how that is possible.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25