Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8/13 Minor League Updates (Homer on the mound)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 8/13 Minor League Updates (Homer on the mound)

Ive said it before when doing this, the Lookouts have two announcers. One sounds quite a bit younger than the other one. The older sounding announcer is much better at telling you what pitch was thrown, while the younger guy talks quite a bit more about things and usually will just call ball or strike, hit or out type of stuff.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Top of the 5th - Chattanooga winning 4-0
    1. Pitcher to the plate. Swing and a miss. 0-1. Outside for a ball, 1-1. Swing and
    a miss, 1-2. Low ball 2. Fouled back. 2-2. Fouled again. 2-2 still. Outside ball 3.
    Announcer just saying "give em the heater ricky" in reference to Major League. Good
    Stuff. Another foul. 3-2. Swing and a miss, 11 strikeouts on a sinking fastball.
    2. Leadoff hitter to the plate. Low ball 1. Foul ball, 1-1. Ball, 2-1. Fly ball to
    Chris Dickerson in CF, 2 outs.
    3. Ground ball up the middle for a single.
    4. High ball 1. Foul ball, 1-1. Punched into RF on a curveball. Runners on 1st and
    2nd with 2 outs.
    5. Low ball 1. Breaking ball, grounder to Machado up the middle who flipped it while
    on the ground to second to get the out.

Homer Bailey
    5ip, 4h, 3bb, 11k, 0r.

Joey Votto singled to extend his hit streak to 7 games, then stole 2nd for his 20th of the year. Puts him in the 20/20 club as a first baseman. Not shabby.

Votto scores on an Aaron Herr single, but Herr is caught in a run down and tug out.

Lookouts lead 5-0.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-13-2006 at 03:53 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I would say with 11 Ks, Homer has to be throwing off-speed stuff along with his heat, and quite well...

Homer needs 1 more strikeout to have his best game of the year strikeout wise. May 8th he had 11ks...he also went 6 innings and allowed just 1 baserunner. A walk.

Well I guess I spoke to soon. Bailey is out of the game.
    Final line
    5ip, 4h, 0r, 3bb, 11k

Season ERA in Chattanooga 1.03
    Season ERA overall 2.34

I would love to see Homer issue a few less walks but his strikeout numbers are fantastic.

Bailey with now 40 walks on the year, lets say he ends up with 45. Beckett only walked about 15-20 during his 2nd full year. So if next year Homer is "comparable" as Beckett was in 2001 as a 20 year old(year behind in development), his raw ability will be further refined into above average control in 2007. That is another factor on Homer's Major league timetable barring injury.

Why do we need to compare Bailey to Beckett?

Oh and Beckett was 21 years old in his 2nd full season. He also had 34 walks in the minors that year.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-13-2006 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Bailey with now 40 walks on the year, lets say he ends up with 45. Beckett only walked about 15-20 during his 2nd full year. So if next year Homer is "comparable" as Beckett was in 2001 as a 20 year old(year behind in development), his raw ability will be further refined into above average control in 2007. That is another factor on Homer's Major league timetable barring injury.
    Beckett walked 45 batters between three levels in 2001, his second year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    why cant you accept the fact that the reds have the best pitcher in the minor leagues. you either hate homer bailey or have absolutely no clue about the game of baseball. either way it always gives something to chuckle about when i read your posts about bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Joey Votto singled to extend his hit streak to 7 games, then stole 2nd for his 20th of the year. Puts him in the 20/20 club as a first baseman. Not shabby.

Votto scores on an Aaron Herr single, but Herr is caught in a run down and tug out.

Lookouts lead 5-0.
    Great play by play Dougdirt. Much appreciated!

I had no idea Votto had the ability to steal that many bases. That's incredible. Have you anyone else seen him play much this year? I only saw him in that all-star game. He looked good to me, but very small sample size. His numbers are obviously great. What's he look like live? Any chance to see him in the majors next year, not counting September, or is he a 2008 guy?

Another great game by Bailey. Nice to see him throwing more off-speed stuff.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I have only seen Votto play twice live this season, I like what I see. Some people are worried about a long swing with him in the majors, I am not overly worried about it. Before Hatteberg signed an extension I thought Votto would have a decent shot at making the team out of ST next year, but I think if Hatteberg struggled next year at all, Votto will only be a phone call away down in Louisville.

As for Votto stealing bases, he hired a trainer in the offseason and wanted to get faster and quicker this season. It has paid off apparently for him, his previous career high in SB was 9.

Belisle is starting for the Bats today.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...ouaaa_dubaaa_1

Beckett was 20 his 2nd full season:
    1999: 18
    2000: 19
    2001: 20
    2002: 21

Thanks on the walks, I forgot he pitched some in high A that year as well. Nevertheless, Beckett got some time in the majors that year and looked mediocre and his number across the board were better than Bailey's.

Turn Off Ads?