Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We should just take Junior's 2009 option right now, and give him an 8 mil a year

GOREDSGO32

We should just take Junior's 2009 option right now, and give him an 8 mil a year

Take the club option for 09 and give him a deal for 3 more years at 8 million a year .. what do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We should just take Junior's 2009 option right now, and give him an 8 mil a year

Three more years past 2009? that would nuts.
    Go Gators!

Re: We should just take Junior's 2009 option right now, and give him an 8 mil a year

I believe 2009 will be Juniors last year. I believe the Reds will take his option for one more year. He will retire after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Three more years past 2009? that would nuts.
    The Reds are better off taking the $4M buyout for '09.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I think 2008 will be it, 20 years in the big leagues is something to be proud of.
    Go Gators!

The Reds WILL pick up the option if Junior doesn't retire.

Bobby C. is not going to espouse the idea of 'the power of tradition' out of one side of his mouth and out of the other to refuse to utter the words that would prevent Junior from spending his last, glorious, farewell-filled tour as a Cincinnati Red.

He'll play until 2009 and then retire and will go into Cooperstown as a Cincinnati Red.

Does Junior really have a chance of going into Cooperstown as a Red? I had never even considered that he wouldnt go as a Mariner.

He accomplished Hall of Fame status with the Mariners...I think that's how he should go in. I'm a Jr. fan, but he hasn't done much in a Red's uni that is HOF worthy besides continuing his HR climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Farney
    Does Junior really have a chance of going into Cooperstown as a Red? I had never even considered that he wouldnt go as a Mariner.
    if he plays until 2009 with the Reds it would be 10 years with the Reds and 10 with the Mariners. Obviously his numbers would be better in the first ten years of his career, but a world series title in a Reds uniform could sway the decision over which hat to wear in Cooperstown.

The Buckeye Bomber

Considering his father's place in Cincy history, along with his desire to play in Cincinnati, there's no question in my mind that he'll go in as a Red, despite all of the success in Seattle.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

His greatest accomplishments, his greatest play, his player of the decade, his All-Century team nomination, all in Seattle.

He'll go in a Mariner.

I believe what cap a player dons in the HOF is overrated. The placques are a brownish bronze and the caps are not easy to distinquish. Its not as if you'll look at Junior and see a bright red hat if he goes in a Red. Nor will you see a blue Mariner cap.

The interesting one will be Roger Clemens, among others. A case could be made that he should go into the HOF as a hatless player.

Cy Youngs with four different teams (or is it 3?)
    20 K games with two different teams.
    Longest tenure with Red Sox.
    World Series Champ as a Yank
    Back to back Cy Youngs as a Blue Jay IIRC.

The hat concept at the HOF was adopted when guys played for one team. At least in most cases. In today's age their will be heated discussions about SO many players. If McGwire goes in, is it as an A, where he was a Bash Brother or a Card where he broke the HR record? Probably an A but still a discussion can be made for him as a Card. There are a lot of players like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81
    Considering his father's place in Cincy history, along with his desire to play in Cincinnati, there's no question in my mind that he'll go in as a Red, despite all of the success in Seattle.
    You may already know this, but the HOF chooses what caps the players wear, not the player himself.

Griffey might choose the Reds when all is said in done. Logic says the HOF would say the Mariners.

I think Junior will consider the relative worth of his cap-choice between the communities of Cincinnati and the communities of Seattle and factor that into what means more, the next enshrinement in the great line of Cincinnati Reds all-time great and beloved players or as a Seattle Mariner.

Junior's roots are Cincinnati. He was just a ballplayer to most Seattle fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    You may already know this, but the HOF chooses what caps the players wear, not the player himself.

Griffey might choose the Reds when all is said in done. Logic says the HOF would say the Mariners.
    MaineRed:

Players are given WIDE berth in discussing with the Veteran's Committee what hat they will wear. No one wants a HOF'er forced to wear a particular hat if his heart is elsewhere and he has significant accomplishments with that other team.

Plenty of Junior accomplishments, both in recovery from injury and historically excellent batting abilities alongside a plethora of career milestones...

Turn Off Ads?