Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Two Baseball Rules Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Two Baseball Rules Questions

(1) Base loaded, less than two outs. Batter strikes out. Can the catcher drop the ball, step on home and throw to first for the double play?

(2) If the starting pitcher fails to get an out in the first inning, but the reliever comes in and sets down 27 in a row, does he get a perfect game?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Two Baseball Rules Questions

1) No. Batter was out already. Cannot run.
    2) Case in point. Ernie Shore. Relieved Babe Ruth who was ejected after walking first batter. Runner was caught stealing. Shore retired 26 in a row was credited with perfect game.
    Not sure how they would rule it in another situation.

6/23/1917...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

1) with less than two outs and first base occupied, batter is out on dropped third stirke. No chance for double play.

2) if starter does not complete first batter, does not allow hit, walk, HBP, error, etc and team only faces 27 batters, yes to perfect game. otherwise no.

Shore was credited with a perfecto for many years, until the dreaded Bud Selig era came into being and he cleaned the fun out of baseball.
    Shore's game is no longer officially considered a perfect game by Major League Baseball, I believe. However, many true baseball fans still consider it a true work of perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    Shore was credited with a perfecto for many years, until the dreaded Bud Selig era came into being and he cleaned the fun out of baseball.
    Shore's game is no longer officially considered a perfect game by Major League Baseball, I believe. However, many true baseball fans still consider it a true work of perfection.
    Actually, was it Fay Vincent that did this?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    Actually, was it Fay Vincent that did this?
    Could have been...but it is funner to blame Selig :

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    Call me a "true baseball fan" and an OLD one too.

Kind of ironic if it was Selig who decided that Shore's job was not good enough, but had no problem accepting the steriod-induced records of "his" era.

Really petty, if you ask me. I mean, there is no "record" involved, it's just being part of a list.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Haunted by walks

I guess the thinking was that he didn't pitch a perfect game because he didn't pitch the whole game. If a pitcher gives up a run in the 10th inning, did he pitch a shutout? No, he gave up a run.

It's still as impressive as any perfect game ever pitched, maybe more so. By the way, John Franco with the Reds once pitched a 12-inning no-hitter -- over 12 relief appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I guess the thinking was that he didn't pitch a perfect game because he didn't pitch the whole game. If a pitcher gives up a run in the 10th inning, did he pitch a shutout? No, he gave up a run.

It's still as impressive as any perfect game ever pitched, maybe more so. By the way, John Franco with the Reds once pitched a 12-inning no-hitter -- over 12 relief appearances.

I have no problem with that. It's the "indian giver" (with apologies to our native american friends) part of it I object.
    They studied it once...decided it was good enough to be a perfecto...then they decide 70 years later it's not? What's that for?
    And like I said..it's a freaking list..not even a record.

(1) The batter is out and the runners may advance.

Relieved Babe Ruth who was ejected after walking first batter.
    What did he do to get ejected, or were leadoff walks against the rules back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    What did he do to get ejected, or were leadoff walks against the rules back in the day?
    Legend has it that Ruth had to be led off the field by a policeman that day.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Legend has it that Ruth had to be led off the field by a policeman that day.
    Legend also has it that Ruth had somewhere else he wanted to be...

Turn Off Ads?