Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Favorite Time of the Year?

Favorite Time of the Year?

Some of the comments over in Reds Live! got me to thinking about what everyone's favorite time of the year is, sports-wise. There are grumblings about the start of football season and how can one get ready for football when we're in the middle of baseball. Some even went so far as to say that you need to let go of baseball in order to get ready for football. I can't say that I subscribe to that logic.

For me, the best time of the year is starting right now. Baseball is coming down the home stretch and football is just getting underway. I don't have to divorce myself from one to thoroughly enjoy the other. On top of all that, my favorite baseball team is in the hunt for the first time in what seems like forever. My favorite NFL team is coming off of a division title and looks to be well-stocked to continue their success this year (pending the health status of a certain QB). Finally, my favorite NCAA football team is pre-season #1. In the immortal words of Kent Dorfman, "Oh boy, is this great!"

A distant second would be March, when the NCAA Tourney is in full swing and baseball is gearing up. That all culminates with Opening Day in Cincinnati followed by the NCAA Championship that night. Always a good time.

So, what does everyone else think? What is your favorite time of the year? Why?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Time of the Year?

Christmas. No explaination needed.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    Some of the comments over in Reds Live! got me to thinking about what everyone's favorite time of the year is, sports-wise.
    For me, the best time of the year is starting right now. Baseball is coming down the home stretch and football is just getting underway.
    A distant second would be March, when the NCAA Tourney is in full swing and baseball is gearing up.
    My choices mirror yours for the same exact reasons.

1) Autumn overlap of baseball and start of football (esp college fb for me) Having a baseball team actually in the race for post-season is the huge clincher. Plus I just love the fall season around here miore than any other, so that only adds to my appreciation of that time of year.

2) Spring when baseball starts up and college hoops finishes with the flourish. Again, this time of year is aided by the inclusion of one's favorite team in the big dance. This is also my 2nd favorite time of year season-wise, as I love to see nature "kick back in gear" so visibly...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Baseball is my love, but the first two days of the NCAA tournament is fantastic.

Buzzer beaters from noon to midnight....doesn't get any better.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

May, rocks.. Baseball starting to cook and the NHL PLayoffs in full swing, with the EPL season wrapping up.

October is second, MLB Playoffs and Hockey starting EPL staring to heat up.

What's football?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    What's football?
    It's the sport that doesn't take a year off in between seasons.

Super Bowl, its the only holiday for single men.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Spring, baseball, everything begining anew.

Early October- there's college football, the MLB playoffs and world series and the weather is perfect for golf.
    And almost no humidity in the Midwest.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Early October- there's college football, the MLB playoffs and world series and the weather is perfect for golf.

Absolutely. Best weather of the year is early october (here, at least).
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    It's the sport that doesn't take a year off in between seasons.
    You mean the sport that stars crossed the picket line.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Absolutely. Best weather of the year is early october (here, at least).
    Humidity is the bane of my existence. Fall is my favorite time of the year weather-wise as well. The bug population seems to diminish too...always good.

September and April.

April, because it's the start of the baseball season.

September, because I love the weather, it's the start of football (OSU, Browns), and this year anyway - the Reds have a chance at post-season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

May and October. My reasoning is somewhat similar to that of GAC. I prefer May to April and October to September, because the weather tends to be a bit better and the pollen isn't as bad.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?