Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds-robilia

Reds-robilia

I'm decorating my semi-finished basement in a Reds theme, and I'm looking for some cheap Reds flags, throw rugs, floor pillows, clocks, and wall art. I've checked mlb.com and eBay and the prices are decent, but I was wondering if there are any local Cincinnati stores that might be cheaper. (I know you can get Royals junk here in KC cheaper than you can on the internet.)

Any thoughts on discount merchants I could contact?
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-14-2006 at 12:43 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds-robilia

Johnny - unless you think a trip to Cincinnati is in order, I'd suggest what you are doing is the best - and I've gotten a few things off eBay - Reds wise and the quality is good.

Meijers and Wal-Mart sell some Reds stuff, but football season is starting and lots of that stuff is being put away.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Johnny - unless you think a trip to Cincinnati is in order, I'd suggest what you are doing is the best - and I've gotten a few things off eBay - Reds wise and the quality is good.
    I've got in-laws who live in Indianapolis, and they make frequent trips to Cincinnati, so I could have them buy some things if I told them where to look.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I've got in-laws who live in Indianapolis, and they make frequent trips to Cincinnati, so I could have them buy some things if I told them where to look.
    The only place that I know of that used to keep stuff like that around in the off-season is the Cincy Shop in the Tri-County Mall.

I did go online on ebay.com - and the pillows, throws, etc you saw there, you used to get at Meijers or Wal-Mart (and ebay actually is a little cheaper) - but the Bengals stuff is slowly overtaking what Reds stuff is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I'm decorating my semi-finished basement in a Reds theme, and I'm looking for some cheap Reds flags, throw rugs, floor pillows, clocks, and wall art. I've checked mlb.com and eBay and the prices are decent, but I was wondering if there are any local Cincinnati stores that might be cheaper. (I know you can get Royals junk here in KC cheaper than you can on the internet.)

Any thoughts on discount merchants I could contact?
    You're a man after my own heart Johnny, though you're obviously not married (or else you're one lucky man).

I wanted a section of our new house, a place that I can call "Mine", and decorate it to my liking. I got my area, but I'm not gonna be able to "decorate" it as I'd really like.

My wife said that if I tried to put up all the stuff that I wanted she'd divorce me............... I'm still thinkin' on it, cause it's kind of a tough decision and I don't do well under pressure.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    You're a man after my own heart Johnny, though you're obviously not married (or else you're one lucky man).

I wanted a section of our new house, a place that I can call "Mine", and decorate it to my liking. I got my area, but I'm not gonna be able to "decorate" it as I'd really like.

My wife said that if I tried to put up all the stuff that I wanted she'd divorce me............... I'm still thinkin' on it, cause it's kind of a tough decision and I don't do well under pressure.
    GAC's got some nice stuff - I should know

Hey, Greg, you should have spent $$$$$$ on a basement. The first time we looked at our house, my wife and I went to the basement, saw it was dry and she looked at me and said, 'This is a nice place for a TV and a room to put your baseball stuff up."

Unfortuntely right now, its decorated early '90s Frat House. Its a "work in progress".

But I got a room!

I was also suppossed to have room to put all of my stuff in but 7 years in now I find that most of my stuff has been donated to goodwill or given away. I fought the fight for a few years but was worn down.:thumbdown
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I'm getting married next month, and unfortunately the place we're moving into is not going to have much space (such is the bane of purchasing real estate in D.C.). However, I have been promised that when we move into a larger place I am goign to get a room for myself, where I can store my sports memorabalia, music gear, computer, stereo, etc. I'm going to hold her to that. I'm also asking her to put it in writing, because it strikes me as the kind of promise that can mysteriously vanish after the honeymoon is over.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I'm getting married next month, and unfortunately the place we're moving into is not going to have much space (such is the bane of purchasing real estate in D.C.). However, I have been promised that when we move into a larger place I am goign to get a room for myself, where I can store my sports memorabalia, music gear, computer, stereo, etc. I'm going to hold her to that. I'm also asking her to put it in writing, because it strikes me as the kind of promise that can mysteriously vanish after the honeymoon is over.
    Uh oh. The mythical "dude space in the next house".

You might have to be a bit sneaky here and ask her to purchase some sort of memorabalia for your Christmas present. Tell her to buy something that she likes and that you'll display somewhere in the house as sort of a representation of your future space. That way she can share a bit in it with you. Make sure to mention the piece as one of your favorites when talking to one of your buddies at a party and she is in earshot. Prime a buddy or two into asking about the cool "x" you have and proudly tell them all about how your super-hot bought it for you.

Otherwise chance are you are going to have a craft room in your next house.

If she catches on, burn your dude handbook and meet in the back of Lowes on Sunday for your reassignment instructions.

GL

I am married, but my wife doesn't like the basement -- she says it's too dark and cold. It was too expensive to get it finished, but I was able to convince her that I could make it semi-liveable for less than $500. It's entirely my space, so I get to decorate it as I see fit.

My next task is to negotiate for a big TV. A projector would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    The only place that I know of that used to keep stuff like that around in the off-season is the Cincy Shop in the Tri-County Mall.

I did go online on ebay.com - and the pillows, throws, etc you saw there, you used to get at Meijers or Wal-Mart (and ebay actually is a little cheaper) - but the Bengals stuff is slowly overtaking what Reds stuff is left.
    That's good to know. I certainly didn't want to pay top-dollar on eBay for Wal-Mart stuff.

. I got my area, but I'm not gonna be able to "decorate" it as I'd really like.
    I love this, the wife says "you can do whatever you want, as long as it's the way I want it".
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    My advice is to fight for a little space in the first place, no matter how small. Even if it's just a desk you can put your computer and stereo on, with a shelf over it for your bobbleheads or whatever. Surely, she can spare 4 feet of wall space for you. If nothing else, it lets you get your foot planted in the door. Otherwise, be prepared down the road for "This doesn't match the decor" or whatever other lame reason they come up with to keep your stuff permanently in storage, while their foo-foo stuff runs amok and unrestrained.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Ah, the age-old "room-for-my-stuff" struggle. Mine has gone along the lines of others' here, except I know with 100% certainty my wife would never get rid of any of my stuff. But I have lost ground in "my room" - primarily because it doubles as our office/computer room and my wife has been wheeling and dealing on ebay now for over a year. This leaves all my stuff still intact to be sure, but now all my Reds/Buckeyes and darts stuff is intermingled with various items she is selling or researching to sell on Ebay, along with the requisite packaging materials. In general I have allowed this to happen as I really don't have another solution to offer her short of adding on to the house.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Otherwise chance are you are going to have a craft room in your next house.
    In other words, not too different from what we have already. I think I've appropriately put the fear of God in her, though. I told her that I plan on purchasing MLB EI next year, and if I don't have a place where I can watch it, it means watching all the Reds games in the living room, thus depriving her of Trading Spaces, Project Runway, Queer Eye and other assorted girl-TV. It also means she'll have to listen to my Rush albums.

If she catches on, burn your dude handbook and meet in the back of Lowes on Sunday for your reassignment instructions.
    She found my dude handbook stashed behind the bookshelf last year and disposed of it. I'm working without a safety net right now.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?