Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can Hatteberg win the batting title?

NPCoach

Can Hatteberg win the batting title?

I know batting average is a very overrated stat but I thought it would make good discussion. He is at .328, I believe, and Freddy Sanchez is at .346 so it's probably a longshot. Hattie is only 3 points out of third, however.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Hatteberg win the batting title?

I would say no because he will take a strike to have a runner steal second and hit the ball to the right side to get the runner to 3rd.

I think he has a small shot because he draws walks but Scott is a team player and will do anything to get the runner over.

This is really refreshing and I look forward to seeing him play now. I never thought I would say this about him when he was obtained.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Can he be stopped?

Hatteburg is the definition of a "professional hitter"

I was happy he got the extension. His avg might be tainted by his platoon role, but the fact he is in the running is awesome.

i dont care if he gets the batting title or not and neither should he, because he came in here supposively for only one year, hits for a very great average, gets an extension, and helps the Reds to contend for a playoff spot

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Looking at his career stats, I am shocked he's a .270 career hitter and has never hit over .300 in a season. He's always had a high OPS (much more important IMO) and OBP but his career batting numbers are surprisingly low for a player that is the perfect example of a professional hitter. He always works the count and has a quality at-bat. Just shocked that this will be the first year (hopefully) that he ever hits .300.

And to answer the question, no, I don't think he can win the batting title. He has probably hit his peak at .330 and will finish the season somewhere in the .310 range. Hopefully I'm wrong and he hits .340 and Freddy Sanchez continues his second half slide (except when the Pirates are busy sweeping the Cards, of course).

Turn Off Ads?