Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Reds are Pretenders

bomarl1969

The Reds are Pretenders

Guys I love this franchise with every Red bone in my body, but I have to face reality, this team is only 3 games over .500. They are not worthy of a playoff spot. There is no comparison of the Reds of 1990, 95, or 99. Those teams were dominant throughout the year. This team reminds me of a Ray Knight club that will contend all year in a semi weak division and finish .500. Sorry for the negativity but I am now facing reality and preparing for football season...Who-Dey and Lets Go Mountaineers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds are Pretenders

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    Guys I love this franchise with every Red bone in my body, but I have to face reality, this team is only 3 games over .500. They are not worthy of a playoff spot. There is no comparison of the Reds of 1990, 95, or 99. Those teams were dominant throughout the year. This team reminds me of a Ray Knight club that will contend all year in a semi weak division and finish .500. Sorry for the negativity but I am now facing reality and preparing for football season...Who-Dey and Lets Go Mountaineers.
    I do agree with one thing: Jerry Narron reminds me A LOT of Ray Knight as a manager.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sorry for the negativity but I am now facing reality and preparing for football season...Who-Dey and Lets Go Mountaineers.
    Since you mentioned it, and I've always wondered, what exactly do fans do to, "prepare for football season"?

Other than changing the batteries in the remote, I'm not sure of the exact protocol. What am I overlooking as I prepare to prepare for football season?

Dude, It's 2006, they're leading the Wild Card and are 2.5 games back from the Cards!

Since you mentioned it, and I've always wondered, what exactly do fans do to, "prepare for football season"?
    Hit themselves in the head with a bag of chips and shotgun 4- 5 salsa's I think.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed

Other than changing the batteries in the remote, I'm not sure of the exact protocol. What am I overlooking as I prepare to prepare for football season?
    Well part of that means that I'm done wearing my Reds gear and I'm ready to start wearing my Bengals and WVU colors now. I still think that its pathetic that the Bengals have now had better success than the Reds the past three seasons in row, not to mention a division title and a playoff berth. Wow Reds management should really take notes from the Bengals on how to turn a franchise around.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by Trace's Daddy
    Dude, It's 2006, they're leading the Wild Card and are 2.5 games back from the Cards!
    Don't get your hopes up, I've done one too many times with this team. The Cards are 8 games over, the Reds are 3. The Cards will win the division by at least 7 games and the Reds will be lucky to finish at .500. And the Wild Card, wait till the end of the month, then you guys will be ready for football as well.

part of BBN

Well part of that means that I'm done wearing my Reds gear and I'm ready to start wearing my Bengals and WVU colors now. I still think that its pathetic that the Bengals have now had better success than the Reds the past three seasons in row, not to mention a division title and a playoff berth. Wow Reds management should really take notes from the Bengals on how to turn a franchise around.
    so what are u gonna do if bengals lose first game and reds still lead wildcard ?

The problem with that statement is that everybody besides the NYM, Cards, and Dodgers are pretenders -- which oddly enough makes us a contender.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    so what are u gonna do if bengals lose first game and reds still lead wildcard ?
    I'd say that the Bengals will lose their first game. If I'm not mistaken they are playing on the road vs. KC.

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trace's Daddy

The wild card is wide open regardless of how many games over .500 they are. They are within striking distance of the Cardinals. If you look at the teams the Reds are competing with, you have to see the same things in them. The NL is as weak as it's ever been. Anything can happen in the coming weeks. I'm pulling for the Reds. They have a 3 game series coming up in St. Louis and could be leaving there in 1st place. It's too soon to redirect away from baseball.

Well part of that means that I'm done wearing my Reds gear and I'm ready to start wearing my Bengals and WVU colors now.
    Wow, this is quite the convoluted opperation, isn't it?

Got rhythm I cant miss a beat
    Got new skank its so reet
    Got something Im winking at you
    Gonna make you, make you, make you notice
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    The problem with that statement is that everybody besides the NYM, Cards, and Dodgers are pretenders -- which oddly enough makes us a contender.
    Bing! That is exactly the case.

I understand the logic that says the Reds are playing over their heads and that they'll finish around .500. I also understand that the NL Wild Card team this year will most likely be a team right around .500. It might as well be the Reds!

I am a big Bengals' fan as well, but there is no way my Reds stuff goes on the shelf yet. Not if they're in 1st, not if they're in 5th. I just have to work extra hard on coordinating my wardrobe appropriately. Maybe a Reds T with Bengals shorts...or a Bengals T with a Reds cap. It's not easy but it can be done.

i understand it may be tough to focus on football and baseball at the same time

Turn Off Ads?