Turn Off Ads?

Thread: So what is the plan with Magic and EZ?

So what is the plan with Magic and EZ?

Is the thought that EZ will be sent to AAA to rest a bit and maybe come back for a few starts in 2-3 weeks or just baby the arm the rest of year and hope his recent starts were just a "tired" arm? Or is he truly tipping pitches?

Also, is this the same approach the Reds are using with Magic? Resting a "tired" arm with the possibility of him coming to the BP in 2-3 weeks of rest?

I just don't see Michalek lasting very long positively at the #5 spot and I guess Lohse owns the #4 spot now. I'd like to see us buy some time at #5 spot for 2 more starts and hopefully have EZ back in there for September for 2 more starts, but don't know if rest is what can help a "tired" arm or if it is just general major league hitting knowing how to hit him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So what is the plan with Magic and EZ?

I doubt EZ will be back before September. WIll he get a rotation spor back. Depends on how the auditions go. I highly doubt Michalak will be successful if given the opportunity.

If Majewski's problem is tendonitis then rest is the cure so when he might be back is completely up in the air.

I expect Magic to be up September 1st.

It wouldn't surprise me if Magic is done for the season. He's pitched heckuva a lot last season and this season for the Nats. Plus he pitched in the WBC in the spring. IMO,they should shut him down for the season and start afresh next spring.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    I expect Magic to be up September 1st.
    Lets see, he has tendonitis. Until he starts to throw and see how it feels there can be no timetable for his return.

08/13/2006 2:04 PM ET

Notes: Ramirez optioned to Triple-A
    Righty struggling of late; lefty Shackleford takes his spot
    By Zachary Levine / MLB.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Elizardo Ramirez had one of the best games of his young career on July 27 in Houston, striking out eight and allowing just one run in 6 2/3 innings.

Since then, however, the Reds right-hander hasn't been the same, amassing a 19.13 ERA in three starts and a relief appearance. Before Sunday's game, Ramirez was sent down to Triple-A Louisville.

The move comes two days after the young righty took the loss in emergency relief against the Phillies, as he allowed a run on two hits and two walks in one-third of an inning. And it comes a day after he got back on the mound and lasted just 1 1/3 innings, giving up five runs in Saturday's victory. He lasted exactly 38 pitches in each of his last two starts.

"Manager Jerry Narron had one thing in particular that he'd like his young pitcher to work on in his stint with the Bats.

I think he throws his changeup a little bit too hard," Narron said. "I'd like to see the same arm speed with just a couple of miles an hour off. I think at times, the speed of it is too close to his fastball."

With Ramirez being sent down, it opened up a spot for left-handed reliever Brian Shackelford to rejoin the roster. Shackelford, who turns 30 at the end of the month, is racking up quite the mileage.

He enters his fourth stint with the big club this season. He was sent down on Aug. 1 to make room for reliever Rheal Cormier, who was acquired from the Phillies.

"You just got to roll with the punches and do what you're told," said Shackleford, who is 1-0 with a 6.92 ERA in 21 appearances with Cincinnati this season. "Hope to get a telephone call every now and then."

In addition, Ramirez's departure gives Narron an extra spot to fill in the starting rotation. Chris Michalak had quite the audition Saturday in relief of Ramirez. The 35-year-old lefty pitched 6 2/3 innings, giving up one run on three hits to earn his first victory since 2001.

However, Narron also left open the possibility of starting Ryan Franklin, who was in the rotation his last three years with Seattle before pitching in relief for the Phillies and Reds this year. In addition, the skipper did not eliminate the possibility of starting somebody not currently on the Major League roster.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Relief pitcher Gary Majewski (right shoulder inflammation) will long toss today at Great American Ball Park for the first time since going on the 15-day DL on Aug. 7.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608140397/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I think the Lizard's fate will be tied to how well Franklin does in the starting role.

I'm sure the Liz and Maj will be added on Sept 1, regardless. But if Franklin does well, I doubt the Liz goes back in the rotation. If Franklin is a disaster, the Lizard probably gets another shot.

Another consideration: Doesn't the Lizard have to be on the roster by Sept 1 if the Reds want him on the playoff roster? Or am I missing the date for that deadline? I guess even if the Lizard gets his changeup fixed, it's not really crucial for him to be on the playoff roster.

Maj gets a free pass on the playoff roster if he's on the DL on the roster setting date (I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?