Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edwin vs. Player B

Edwin vs. Player B

This is one of my favorite things to do, because people are obsessed with NAMES. Everyone thinks so many players are great, because they once were or have had great seasons before. Comparing Edwin to Player B, another 3B.

-------Avg.--OBP---SLG--OPS
    Edwin: .302--.391--.533--.924
    Plyr B: .286--.388--.512--.900

Guesses on player B, shouldn't be difficult?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Edwin vs. Player B

B=Alex Rodriguez
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Yup, anyone else surprised. Bet if you told other fans "I'd rather have Encarnacion in my lineup than A-Rod" the other fans would think you were crazy. Still might even after seeing the numbers. But I like the 25 mil cheaper part too.

Nice.

I'm still awaiting the official explanation from Baseball America on why EdE was for years their poor man's Andy Marte.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Nice.

I'm still awaiting the official explanation from Baseball America on why EdE was for years their poor man's Andy Marte.
    Exactly. I always said Edwin was a better prospect and would turn out to be the better player of the two.

And I'll say it right now - Jay Bruce is better and will be a better major leaguer than Cameron Maybin and Justin Upton.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

That comparison will do us wonders in his arb years. If he can repeat those rates over 600 at bats, we need to lock him up long term ASAP.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Nice.

It is interesting given my conversation with a scout a couple of years ago at a Lookouts game. EdE had just hit his second homer of the game and I asked him what he thought of him. His comment was second only to Marte but it was close...(in the entire league for all position players).

When I posted this a couple of years ago I seem to remember that a lot of people were surprised...the Brewers scout obviously isn't surprised....
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    This is one of my favorite things to do, because people are obsessed with NAMES. Everyone thinks so many players are great, because they once were or have had great seasons before. Comparing Edwin to Player B, another 3B.

-------Avg.--OBP---SLG--OPS
    Edwin: .302--.391--.533--.924
    Plyr B: .286--.388--.512--.900

Guesses on player B, shouldn't be difficult?
    Player C is right in the thick of things as well.

.310 .344 .500 .844
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR
    Player C is right in the thick of things as well.

.310 .344 .500 .844
    I disagree. Player C has only logged 16 at-bats as a third baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I disagree. Player C has only logged 16 at-bats as a third baseman.
    And you don't think that would continue ?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR
    And you don't think that would continue ?
    The .844 OPS? Sure...in fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Exactly. I always said Edwin was a better prospect and would turn out to be the better player of the two.

And I'll say it right now - Jay Bruce is better and will be a better major leaguer than Cameron Maybin and Justin Upton.
    Maybin, maybe, but I don't know about Upton, and that's not a knock on Bruce, Upton reminds me of 90's Griffey.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Isn't that a pretty small window on EE to be doing a comparison?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

It's a little silly to compare Edwin Encarnacion to a first ballot Hall of Famer. While EdE is a very good young player, he is not in the same class as ARod.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    It's a little silly to compare Edwin Encarnacion to a first ballot Hall of Famer. While EdE is a very good young player, he is not in the same class as ARod.
    There's also no mention of the fact that ARod plays in the American League East, while Edwin plays in the national League Central.

It's fun to compare like that, but sometimes you have to be realistic. If salaries didn't matter, we'd all take ARod over Edwin in a heartbeat. Impressive numbers from Edwin, though.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Turn Off Ads?