Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Pasqurrelli on ESPN Radio just said..

Peter Pasqurrelli on ESPN Radio just said..

just as I thought before, that we dont have the pitching in the NL that the Western teams do and that our pitching is very off balance along with the Cards. And that catching the Cardinals is no big feat this year, and that if we do great, but the wildcard will come from the NL west.

He makes a decent arguement and now Im worried that we can only make the playoffs if we win the Central.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Peter Pasqurrelli on ESPN Radio just said..

These are also the same people the said the Reds would finish dead last this year. Don't get me wrong, I know the Reds are flawed, but no more flawed than every other team in the NL not named the Mets.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I still think the wildcard will come from the Central. Either the Reds, Cardinals or Astros. The Dodgers will end up winning the West, but the rest of them will fade. I'm not saying they will completely fall out of the race, but the D'Backs, Padres and Giants are just not good baseball teams. The Reds are better than all of them, no matter what Pastabelli II might say.

Shocking considering where we were a year ago, but I feel pretty good about our 1-4 starters: Harang, Arroyo (I think he will get hot again), Milton and Lohse. Then when Homer comes up (inevitable) we'll have the final piece of the puzzle. This is our year.

The Diamondback and Padres still have 13 games to play with each other. Unless one of them totally dominates in those games, that is a wide open gate for somebody from the Central to get the upper hand over both of them.

Also I believe the Padres have 7 and the Snakes 6 with the Dodgers.

Given those schedules, you gotta like the chances of the 2nd place finisher in the Central or perhaps even the East if somebody could get really hot there.

Everybody is saying that the Reds do not have this or do not have that to stay on top and in the race. That may be so but here we are with 6 weeks left in the season and they are a game and a half out of 1st and still on top of the wild card standings. If the Reds are so bad, why are they still in it? Why haven't the Cards pulled away with their superior team and unflagging fan support? Why hasn't any other team caught and surpassed the Reds in the wild card race? I'll be the first to admit this team has flaws but so does every one else.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I'll be the first to admit this team has flaws but so does every one else.
    Actually, I think FCB will be the first!

Your point is well made. Its a race of the disfunctional at this point. Perhapps the Reds have enough disfunctions that they negate each other as the race goes along...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

i hope no one misunderstood this thread. I wasnt doggin the Reds..but listening to him today on the radio talk about other teams and the status of the national league races, made me realize that maybe we shouldnt be content with leading the wild card, instead striving for the division because MOST LIKELY, the wild card will go to the west.

i tend to disagree..i think the giants, dbacks, and padres have comparable teams to the Reds roster this year. not better, not worse.

I tend to believe that its more likely that the Western division teams will beat up one another and it's more likely it [the Wild Card] will come from the Central or East.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Everybody is saying that the Reds do not have this or do not have that to stay on top and in the race. That may be so but here we are with 6 weeks left in the season and they are a game and a half out of 1st and still on top of the wild card standings. If the Reds are so bad, why are they still in it? Why haven't the Cards pulled away with their superior team and unflagging fan support? Why hasn't any other team caught and surpassed the Reds in the wild card race? I'll be the first to admit this team has flaws but so does every one else.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Peter Pasqurrelli's opinion is no better than anyone else's on this forum. Who cares what he thinks? Thank goodness the games are played on the field and not in the mouth's of all these "Talking Heads."
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

bro chill out. lets be honest. The cards arent a superior team and they are having a terrible year. we are 4 games over .500, we are exactly .500 at HOME (31-31) yet we are 1.5 games out of first place. We are FORTUNATE to stil be in it.

but I guess I am not content or comfortable with the thought of being a barely above 500 team shooting for a World Series Ring.

i mean let me ask this question: Are u wanting a playoff birth or world series win? I dont kiss my sister and I dont half ass things. I think this is why the board is split into different factions because of the different goals we have as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Peter Pasqurrelli's opinion is no better than anyone else's on this forum. Who cares what he thinks? Thank goodness the games are played on the field and not in the mouth's of all these "Talking Heads."
    yes but educated opinions are more valid than me sitting here at home watching tv and being on the internet.

he's a writer that has been around the game for years and they are better at guestimating teams and such because of hands on experience.

he actually made a nice informative arguement today.

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    but I guess I am not content or comfortable with the thought of being a barely above 500 team shooting for a World Series Ring.

i mean let me ask this question: Are u wanting a playoff birth or world series win? I dont kiss my sister and I dont half ass things. I think this is why the board is split into different factions because of the different goals we have as fans.
    Those sentiments sound really neat on paper. But then you factor in reality and you get a much different story. Of course every team starts day 1 aiming for the world series but it's not realisitic that all of those teams are going to be in the hunt at the end of the season.

Realisitically, we are less than 1 year out of the Schott/Linder/Bowden/OBrian/Allen eara. There is damage to the originization from the front office, to the marketing staff, to the coaching staff, to scouting, to the minor league player developments to whoever decided Gapper was a good idea.

Do I want to win the WS, of course. Would I be happy with a playoff birth? OF COURSE. To imply that the season is a waste and that being happy with "only" a playoff birth is "half-A***ed" is silly. To go from celler dweller, to predicted celler dweller to playoff birth is a huge acomplishment.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Those sentiments sound really neat on paper. But then you factor in reality and you get a much different story. Of course every team starts day 1 aiming for the world series but it's not realisitic that all of those teams are going to be in the hunt at the end of the season.

Realisitically, we are less than 1 year out of the Schott/Linder/Bowden/OBrian/Allen eara. There is damage to the originization from the front office, to the marketing staff, to the coaching staff, to scouting, to the minor league player developments to whoever decided Gapper was a good idea.

Do I want to win the WS, of course. Would I be happy with a playoff birth? OF COURSE. To imply that the season is a waste and that being happy with "only" a playoff birth is "half-A***ed" is silly. To go from celler dweller, to predicted celler dweller to playoff birth is a huge acomplishment.
    sorry, i seriously disagree with you. really.

no really i do.

i mean cmon man.

i disgree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    Don't get me wrong, I know the Reds are flawed, but no more flawed than every other team in the NL not named the Mets.
    I'm not handing the World Series to the Mets, either. Pedro and Glavine are showing their age. Their 3-5 starters are Traschel, El Duque and John Maine. They lost their setup man for the season (Sanchez). Their right fielder now is Milledge/Endy Chavez/Michael Tucker.

They may be the class of the NL, but I can see them getting knocked off in the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?