Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

My heart goes out to Ken.. he has to have had this on his mind and might be a big part of his slump.. it woudl weigh on my shoulders as well..if i was going thru that..

was annouced on WLW sports talk tonight

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

Prayers go out to the Griffey family.

Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

maybe this is why he hasnt recieved his Dad's usual hands on batting instruction when he goes into slumps.

Sr. usualy takes Ken aside and works with him before games when he is struggling.

so sad

Prostate cancer is very treatable. Colon cancer is much more tricky.

Nevertheless, I wish both of them the best.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Sr. has a long family history of Prostate Cancer. 6 of his uncles had it and all passed away. They also had poor or no medical care. JR's Mom will hopefully come through OK. Not sure what stage she is in.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

It can weigh on your mind, I know from personal experience. My mom had a brain tumor removed in July. The weeks leading up to the surgery were brutal on me. Very little sleep, lack of concentration at work etc. I know me playing golf and playing MLB is a sad compairison but I'm a decent golfer, 6 handicap. I would start thinking about the surgery, possible horrible outcome, and pow.....double bogey. I normally have maybe 1 double bogey every 4 rounds. I was having 2 or 3 a round. It's impossible not to think about it and the amount of concentration it takes to hit a 92 mph fastball is incredible. This could be the reason for the prolonged slump at the plate. I could not imagine both parents having cancer. My prayers are with him.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Nevertheless, I wish both of them the best.
    I second that.

Hopefully they both have a full recovery.

Prostate cancer is very treatable.
    surprising news to about 25,000 US men a year, a disproportionate number being African-American.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

Hopefully they both have a full recovery.

amen!:griffey:
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    surprising news to about 25,000 US men a year, a disproportionate number being African-American.
    Insurance does wonders. As do regular checkups.

Incidentally, I'm not diminishing the severity of the disease; but the fact is, it's treatable--far more treatable than most cancers. You just have to have yourself checked starting at age 35.

My uncle is a prostate cancer survivor--20 years.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-14-2006 at 09:07 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

You just have to have yourself checked starting at age 35.
    the number of deaths per capita hasn't declined in years even though the treatments are much more sophisticated. And that's telling.

one way to think about it is that we're just getting good at detecting people that would never have succumbed

the number of deaths per capita hasn't declined in years even though the treatments are much more sophisticated. And that's telling.

one way to think about it is that we're just getting good at detecting people that would never have succumbed
    A whole lot of people don't go for annual physicals... they go when they know there's something wrong with them. Early detection is the key... but if people don't go their doctors until it's too late, that's pretty much a moot point.

Best wishes to the Griffeys... I hope all goes well.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Genetics sucks. No question.

But the survival rate is high comparable to virtually every other single form of cancer known to man. Even skin cancer, IIRC.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-14-2006 at 09:50 PM.

"All men, if they live long enough, will eventually develop prostate cancer."
    --Dr. George Phillips (i think that's his first name)
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?