Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    survival rate is high comparable to virtually every other single form of cancer known to man.
    it could be a very poor use of statistics. get the tough form, and your survival rate remains very low. perhaps we've just gotten better at IDing a benign form.

    my research is on a different cancer with similar features-- we're getting better at IDing it early, so there are more cases and therefore it appears that fewer people are dying from it.

    Except-- and this is a very subtle point-- the same number of people are dying of it even as the percentage drops. So we're not actually curing anyone that we weren't curing before

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    "All men, if they live long enough, will eventually develop prostate cancer."
    --Dr. George Phillips (i think that's his first name)
    percent likelihood may match your age.

    but there's prostate cancer and there's Prostate Cancer

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    167

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    This would have to affect his on field performance. Best wishes to the entire family.

  5. #19
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,089

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    it could be a very poor use of statistics. get the tough form, and your survival rate remains very low. perhaps we've just gotten better at IDing a benign form.

    my research is on a different cancer with similar features-- we're getting better at IDing it early, so there are more cases and therefore it appears that fewer people are dying from it.

    Except-- and this is a very subtle point-- the same number of people are dying of it even as the percentage drops. So we're not actually curing anyone that we weren't curing before
    I do see what you're saying. I'm not arguing that. But even having "mild" pancreatic, brain, or colon cancer is still more deadly than a difficult case of prostate cancer (caught in an early stage).

    But I'm just pointing to raw numbers. To a certain extent, I think genetic research will reveal that certain people are all but programmed to die of an intransigent form of a disease--maybe the blood-vessel thing in African-Americans means it will continue to be a death sentence, I don't know.

    But if you had to be diagnosed with a cancer, you'd probably want it to be prostate, as insane as that sounds.

  6. #20
    Do it! TheBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Rincon, PR-Winter Pk, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    My uncle is a prostate cancer survivor...
    So is my Dad.
    Let's hope for the best.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I do see what you're saying. I'm not arguing that. But even having "mild" pancreatic, brain, or colon cancer is still more deadly than a difficult case of prostate cancer (caught in an early stage).
    opinions are important, apparently

    but more US men die of prostate cancer than die of CRC. And almost twice as many African-American men die of prostate cancer than die of CRC
    Last edited by princeton; 08-15-2006 at 06:25 AM.

  8. #22
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,467

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    My prayers and best wishes go out to the entire Griffey family. I couldn't imagine both of my parents at the same time fighting cancer. It was tough enough when one was going through it. It's got to be really trying times for Junior.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  9. #23
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,089

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton

    but more US men die of prostate cancer than die of CRC. And almost twice as many African-American men die of prostate cancer than die of CRC
    Could that be because prostate cancer is the most diagnosed cancer in men?

    According to the American Cancer Society 189,000 cases of prostate cancer are diagnosed each year; 30,000 deaths as a result of the disease each year.

    107,000 diagnosed with colorectal each year; 48,000 die of the disease.

    If your point is to say that the most severe form of prostate cancer is more severe than the severe forms of other kinds of cancers, I can't argue that; I don't know. I'm merely looking at the numbers. I admitted as much.

  10. #24
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Only on Redszone can a thread wishing well to the Griffey family struggles turn into an argument over which form of cancer is worse.

    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  11. #25
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,892

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Only on Redszone can a thread wishing well to the Griffey family struggles turn into an argument over which form of cancer is worse.

    Seriously.

    I am, myself, a cancer survivor, though not to make it sound more dramatic than it is, I was given about a 95+% chance from the beginning. Still, there's nothing scarier than hearing the dreaded "C"-word when it's attached to you or someone you love.

    Double scary when both parents are undergoing treatment for it at the same time. My thoughts and best wishes certainly go out to the entire Griffey family.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  12. #26
    Davey BuckWoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    911

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Only on Redszone can a thread wishing well to the Griffey family struggles turn into an argument over which form of cancer is worse.
    ...with everyone throwing out statistics to back their view.

    It's got to be tough on Jr. and their whole family. My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

  13. #27
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,089

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    I'd say it's more a discussion than an argument. My only point in even bringing it up in the first place was to say that prostate cancer is survivable, as if to say, it's not a death sentence. So have hope.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Could that be because prostate cancer is the most diagnosed cancer in men?.
    high numbers of deaths doesn't have much to do with diagnosis.

    like I said, there's some thought to the idea that we're detecting forms that we wouldn't have detected before, but that the vast, vast majority of these never would have progressed.

    my objections mostly concern the ideas that prostate cancer is "treatable" especially if "detected early." it sounds good-- many physicians believe it so it surely must be true-- but I haven't seen data that particularly support it. Maybe there is some.

    So we've heard two things in this thread. I don't know how true they are, but let's say that they are. 1. Sr's case is "mild". If the doc tells you that you have mild anything, even lung cancer, that's a lot better than the alternative. 2. familial history of death by prostate cancer. That's sobering.

    Best of luck to Sr.
    Last edited by princeton; 08-15-2006 at 10:49 AM.

  15. #29
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Sr. has a long family history of Prostate Cancer. 6 of his uncles had it and all passed away. They also had poor or no medical care. JR's Mom will hopefully come through OK. Not sure what stage she is in.
    I hope the best for both of them. Colon cancer has struck my Grandmother (didn't make it) and my father-in-law (in remission and still going strong). Please keep us posted if you hear anything, TC.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    785

    Re: Ken Griffey Sr has mild Prostate Cancer, Jr's Mom is having colon cancer surgery

    Prostate cancer if detected early is very curable, my father survived porstate cancer because if was detected early. He will most likely undergo a procedure called seeding. Imagine radioactive BB's "the BB gun type" and they will place them around and in the cancerous tissues. They will kill the tissues. Very effective.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25