Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bray

Bill Bray

Is Bill Bray not exciting, we have a 23 year lefty (who will only get better), poised to be our closer for years to come. I think it is great to have a leader and mentor like Guardado for Bray to learn from. Bray has improving stuff and with experience, and confidence he will be outstanding!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bill Bray

14IP 24H 5BB 11K
    4.40 ERA 1.8 WHIP

I must be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    14IP 24H 5BB 11K
    4.40 ERA 1.8 WHIP

I Think you are missing quite a bit if you cannot see this kid will be a force in the future. He already shows flashes of being a great pitcher and he is very young. I am looking forward to watching him for years to come. Even at his age his is so much better than most we had by far. I would rather have a 24 year old with his potential, than some of these fossils we had before him any day.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    14IP 24H 5BB 11K
    4.40 ERA 1.8 WHIP

Look at stats all you want, but he's a young kid with some pretty good looking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337
    Look at stats all you want, but he's a young kid with some pretty good looking stuff.
    who looks like, and has numbers like Gabe White.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Has anyone seen him throw a changeup yet? I kept hearing about his changeup and the possibility of converting to starting, but I haven't seen him throw it yet.

He has some sweet pitches. As all young players he's searching for consistancy. He actually seems to be tougher on rightys, but it's early. The potential is there, but the stats are misleading. I would think anyone who has watched him would see some pretty darn good potential. I guess the mgr does too as he has a few saves and has pitched in the close games. Right now we don't have anyone lights out in the pen so he's as good as any.

Believer since 1981

Gabe White was in the minors with the Yankees at age 24. He didnt have his breakout year until he was 26 with the Reds. And then followed that up with a dud the next year. I think Bray has twice the potential of Gabe White. Bray is a guy who in two minor league seasons averaged 10.53K/9. And he is 23 i believe. He gives up a good amount of hits, but he has the ability to miss some bats. He could develop into a really good reliever.
    Bowman Card Collector

The guy certainly has electric stuff that stats can't see, but the stats don't lie, and "stuff" doesn't win ball games.

As of now, he's nothing more than decent.

Ryan Wagner had pretty good looking stuff at one point as well and he even pitched pretty well for a short time. A lot of things can happen to pitchers, I hope Bray becomes a dominant closer for many years but so far I haven't seen it.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    The guy certainly has electric stuff that stats can't see, but the stats don't lie, and "stuff" doesn't win ball games.

As of now, he's nothing more than decent.
    Indeed, but the original post was talking about how exciting the possibilities for his future are.

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    Gabe White was in the minors with the Yankees at age 24. He didnt have his breakout year until he was 26 with the Reds. And then followed that up with a dud the next year. I think Bray has twice the potential of Gabe White. Bray is a guy who in two minor league seasons averaged 10.53K/9. And he is 23 i believe. He gives up a good amount of hits, but he has the ability to miss some bats. He could develop into a really good reliever.
    Actually Gabe White was pitching for the Expos at age 23. His next stop...the Reds.

I can't get excited about middle reliever prospects unless they throw upper 90's. Sure, it is possible he becomes a closer some day, but it is more likely he toils as a decent middle reliever for 5-10 years, mixing in some good years along with some very average years with some downright bad years. Because that is what middle relievers do.

but you just don't know how it is going to turn out. He may be good or end up moediocre like he is now.

Believer since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by puca
    Actually Gabe White was pitching for the Expos at age 23. His next stop...the Reds.
    Upon further review... your right... read the transaction log wrong, i think it was all the trades back to the same team that traded you in the first place.
    Bowman Card Collector

Turn Off Ads?