Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else worried about Freel and the OF?

Is anyone else worried about Freel and the OF?

It seems that Freel has become our new everyday RF now that Deno proved that he was more Brandon Larson than Babe Ruth. Oddly enough we now find ourselves in a situation with not a lot of OF depth. With the Reds in the middle of a tight playoff race is Freel playing everyday the best option? I have to think that he will wear down as he has done in the past and even earlier this year when playing everyday. I don't really like the prospect of Hollandsworth starting in RF but at the same time I think that if we want to get the most out of Freel for the rest of the season he shouldn't be playing everyday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is anyone else worried about Freel and the OF?

I think that Freel needs to be spelled every now and then to maximize his effectiveness, but I think the same can be said of Griffey, so it'll be hard to get both of those guys the rest they will need down the stretch. Hopefully they can both pull through for us and stay healthy and productive. It is scary though, knowing how much we're relying on them, with literally NO depth behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Sanchez
    It seems that Freel has become our new everyday RF now that Deno proved that he was more Brandon Larson than Babe Ruth. Oddly enough we now find ourselves in a situation with not a lot of OF depth. With the Reds in the middle of a tight playoff race is Freel playing everyday the best option? I have to think that he will wear down as he has done in the past and even earlier this year when playing everyday. I don't really like the prospect of Hollandsworth starting in RF but at the same time I think that if we want to get the most out of Freel for the rest of the season he shouldn't be playing everyday.
    Is that actually true or does it just feel like it is because it's said a lot? His worst month this year was May also in that month he started fewer games than in any other month. It may be true but I think that he goes through slumps just like any other player, and at all other times in his career with the Reds we have had better options during his slumps. Now we do not. Because of the way he plays he's going to get banged up so obviously if he's injured he has to have days off. I think he should be in the lineup everyday as long as he stays diciplined at the plate, he already has more walks in August than he did in May, June or July so even though he's slumping this month (.233 BA) he's still getting on base at a very good clip (.377). It's easy to weather a slump when you get on base that often, sounds like somebody else I know.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Wow....Deno is now being compared to Brandon Larson after what, 30 at bats in a 3 week stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Wow....Deno is now being compared to Brandon Larson after what, 30 at bats in a 3 week stretch?
    I quess he heard it on WLW. Sad aint it?

The race is so close, we really have no choice but to ride Freel and all the position players as hard as we can. As you said, it's not like we have a lot of depth to rest guys (other than Aurillia giving someone an occasional rest).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Ryan Freel should play everyday unless he is injured. I don't care how many times it has been said, I don't think he plays "too hard" to play everyday. That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read, regarding Narron's comments on the matter.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

How could anyone give up on Deno already? Give the kid a chance.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Deno never had a chance, he's not Brandon Larson- YET.

I don't mind the OF we have now, if you flip Freel and Griffey, which is a moot point, I know. But it is our best offensive OF, by far.

Our 3 catchers are costing us an OF spot, and Deno would be a good choice for 4th OF- ok hit, good glove, good speed for pinch-running duties.

Freel and Griffey both have a history of going down with injuries. We're thin, but Denorfia is just a phone call away if that happens. I like Hollandsworth as a L handed pinch-hitter, but not as an OF (but boy, did he make a great catch the other night!?)

I agree that Freel is better if used 5 out of 7 days; he wears down less that way and seems to play better. But, man, this is a pennant race- I throw him out there every day, batting first, until he can't walk anymore, or until he breaks something running into a wall.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Ryan Freel should play everyday unless he is injured. I don't care how many times it has been said, I don't think he plays "too hard" to play everyday. That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read, regarding Narron's comments on the matter.
    That Ryan Freel plays too hard and breaks down easily is a myth unsupported by facts and statistics. But, like many things on here, if it gets repeated enough it gets accepted as gospel truth.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    Freel and Griffey both have a history of going down with injuries.
    He does? He's been DL'ed twice in the last four seasons...played in 143 games in 2004, and is on pace for 130+ in 2006.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    He does? He's been DL'ed twice in the last four seasons...played in 143 games in 2004, and is on pace for 130+ in 2006.
    ok, not fair for me to lump Freel in there with Junior. I should have said that Ryan has a history of being unavailable. I don't have the stats handy, and frankly would not know where to look this up, but it seems as if Ryan is out for 3-4 days, hurt enough not to play, but not enough to go on the DL.

I love Freel, and the way he plays, but he's not what you'd call an iron man.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    I quess he heard it on WLW. Sad aint it?
    Actually that was just my own thought, not anything I heard on WLW. I was never sold on Deno and I'm still not. It might be a little harsh to call him Brandon Larson but the guy looks more like a AAAA guy to me than an everyday starter in the majors. He has great speed and defense but I don't see him ever being much with the bat. Sure you can say that he hasn't had a lot of at bats but the ones he has had have looked pretty bad. I might feel a little better about him if he was younger but he is 26 and once again back at AAA.

Roster glue

I only "worry" in the respect that it will be tempting for Narron to start Hollandsworth twice a week in an attempt to "spell" Griffey or Freel. The Reds have gotten away with questionable roster contruction all season--12 pitchers and 3 catchers--and now the presence of Royce Clayton, who can only play SS (unless you count the 1 game at 3B in '92), leaves the Reds with only 4 OF.

Freel and Aurilia's ability to play all over helped mask the less than optimal roster early in the season, but a return to the Bob Boone days of seeing LaRue in the outfield on occasion is not far-fetched in the event of an injury.

When Freel wasn't starting, he admirably filled the fourth OF role, allowing the Reds to keep a less than useful player like Q on the roster...now the combination of dealing Kearns and essentially replacing him with Clayton (or, if you prefer, a non-OF, since Denorfia is now in the minors) leaves the Reds very thin in the OF. True, Denorfia is only a phone call away in the event someone needs to be DL'ed, but both Griffey and Freel have track records of "nagging injuries" that can keep them out of the lineup for a couple days...I am less than inspired at the prospect of Hollandsworth collecting those AB when the lineup already has a 70% out-making presence at SS in the lineup, regardless of whether it is Clayton or Castro.

The Reds are in good shape and have done well this season, but personally I am a little worried about the OF depth going down the stretch. The current roster construction seems to necessitate Freel and Griffey playing every single day, with little margin for bumps and/or bruises.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    ok, not fair for me to lump Freel in there with Junior. I should have said that Ryan has a history of being unavailable. I don't have the stats handy, and frankly would not know where to look this up, but it seems as if Ryan is out for 3-4 days, hurt enough not to play, but not enough to go on the DL.

I love Freel, and the way he plays, but he's not what you'd call an iron man.
    Very few players are "iron men". In reality, Freel's missed games due to injuries are no more disproportionate than most ballplayers. On the Reds it is magnified, however, because of his tendency to play with reckless abandon and the belief that this leads to a myriad of injuries to him. He has missed only a handful of games this season for injury-related reasons, and the same could be said of 2004--which also happen to be the years when he has garnered the most playing time.

Turn Off Ads?