Turn Off Ads?

Thread: OBP numbers from BP

OBP numbers from BP

I found it interesting

The seven-out-of-10 thing comes from the archaic belief that a .300 batting average was the threshold of greatness. It totally discounts getting on base by other means. Guys who fail to reach base seven out of 10 times are not much good to their teams unless they have a prodigious amount of extra base hits. Not so surprisingly, most of the guys whose failure rate is over 70 percent don't have a lot of those either.
    Here are the players with the lowest OBPs (minimum 300 plate appearances). The two lowest figures are representatives of tonight's opponents:
    Player Team OBP
    ---------------------------
    Angel Berroa KCA .262
    Juan Uribe CHA .271
    Clint Barmes COL .273
    Yadier Molina SLN .277
    Ronny Cedeno CHN .279
    Jeffrey Francoeur ATL .283
    Jeromy Burnitz PIT .293
    Adam Everett HOU .293
    Brad Ausmus HOU .296
    Reggie Sanders KCA .296
    Pedro Feliz SFN .296
    Bobby Crosby OAK .297
    Carl Everett SEA .297
    Rod Barajas TEX .297
    Ken Griffey Jr. CIN .298
    Of these 15 men, only four have positive VORPs: Griffey, 8.8; Uribe, 3; Feliz, 1.4 and Barajas, 0.6. The next dozen, which includes everybody up to .309, add four more positives, the highest of which is Miguel Olivo of the Marlins at 12.3. In other words, if you're adhering to the cliché and failing seven out of 10 times, you are pretty much failing.
    Last edited by flyer85; 08-15-2006 at 11:44 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OBP numbers for BP

What does this have to do with BP?

Re: OBP numbers from BP

Beisbol Prospectus

Does VORP take into account defense. Molina plays mostly for his defense. Does his superior defense make up for that lack of offense, or is a team better off using Mike Piazza at catcher and letting the opposition run at will (according to VORP)?

Re: OBP numbers for BP

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken
    What does this have to do with BP?
    When I clicked on the title I thought it was about Brandon Phillips also.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Does VORP take into account defense?
    It does not.

Pardon me, but what is VORP?

Value over replacement player(s)

My bad, I wasn't thinking this morning.

Kind of shocking to see that Francoeur has a negative VORP (-5.6). He has 81 RBI and has scored 62 runs. But it has taken him 11% of the Braves PAs to compile those numbers, which is the highest % of PAs of anyone with a negative VORP. Including him there are only 5 players in all of baseball with that have a negative VORP and have taken up 10% or more their teams total plate appearances. With Clint Barmes for the Rockies being the worst with a -11.2 VORP, that's eating up some outs.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    Kind of shocking to see that Francoeur has a negative VORP (-5.6). He has 81 RBI and has scored 62 runs. But it has taken him 11% of the Braves PAs to compile those numbers, which is the highest % of PAs of anyone with a negative VORP. Including him there are only 5 players in all of baseball with that have a negative VORP and have taken up 10% or more their teams total plate appearances. With Clint Barmes for the Rockies being the worst with a -11.2 VORP, that's eating up some outs.
    Yeah, I guess if you think about it, Dunn could probably have around 95 RBI's if he swung at everything like Francoeur, but he would also make a ton more outs and score fewer runs. So when people think Dunn should be more aggressive, maybe we need to look at guys like Francoeur and realize that might be what Dunn would be like if he was that more aggressive, just with more power.

I'm not trying to start a "Dunn should be more/less aggressive" argument, but just recognizing that impatient hitters tend to be poor hitters. There are few exceptions like Vlad, who is a freak and gets on base with a lot of hits, a lot of which are xbh.

Jeff Francoeur is the kind of player that all the people that complain about Dunn think Dunn is.

Turn Off Ads?