Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karhl on the Reds

Karhl on the Reds

from BP

Optioned OF-R Chris Denorfia to Louisville (Triple-A). [8/10]
    Returned LHP Kent Mercker to the 15-day DL (elbow inflammation); purchased the contract of LHP Chris Michalak from Louisville; designated 2B/SS-R William Bergolla for assignment. [8/12]
    Optioned RHP Elizardo Ramirez to Louisville; recalled LHP Brian Shackelford from Louisville. [8/13]
    Let's get this straight: the team needs three lefties in the pen beyond having a left-handed closer? And it's potentially going to make a journeyman like Michalak its fifth starter down the stretch? And it wants to go to the mat with Todd Hollandsworth (replacing Denorfia) and Juan Castro as key reserves? I guess that combination of events might make you think the Reds were in the International League while being managed by Tony LaRussa, but such is not the case.
    Instead, you have a team that has shipped out Ramirez after starting him without any restóread that again, but I assure you, he pitched in the 14-inning game on the 11th, then got drubbed starting on the 12th. Now, maybe if this was still a team being managed by Bob Boone, you could accept this as some sort of weird experiment, destined for failure like all of Boone's passing fancies. But that isn't the caseóthis is a team in the thick of the wild-card chase, and it should be minding every roster move and every game carefully. Maybe this is a mistake you put on manager Jerry Narron, but I think this is more basically a screwup by Wayne Krivsky, in what has become a litany of stretch-drive missteps. Ramirez hasn't been outstanding of late, but two quality starts in his five since the All-Star break before that sort of mismanagement indicates to me that he isn't Joe Mays. The fact that, after the game, Narron talked about how well things worked out, when Ramirez got drubbed, should leave any observer boggled. The Reds may lead, but when you get this punch-drunk on roster management, it hardly bodes any better than making the Bray/Majewski deal did.
    So what about this latest addition to the rotation? Michalak's had a nice year at Louisville, allowing 3.8 runs per nine. He's also allowed 17 home runs in 132.1 innings, and he can't dent bread with his best cheese. He's not really a groundball pitcher, so put him in the GA(B)P, and it seems to me you've got a formula for big-fly mayhem. It's a reflection on the Reds' relative desperation that they've reached this spot, but between mismanaging Ramirez and winding up with an overstocked pen that still isn't that good, its become pretty obvious that things aren't working out all that well.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Karhl on the Reds

I agree with Kahrl about the bad move of starting Ramirez right after he pitched in relief the night before, but Christina obviously hasn't processed how bad EZ was struggling. I agree with the Reds' decision to option Ramirez to AAA.

I also don't think there's been any indication that Michalak will be a main rotation cog, either, beyond talk of the one start.

I also agree with Kahrl about Hollandsworth vs. Denorfia, but Todd's not coming back in 2007 and Denorfia likely is, so it's not a lethally bad decision to go with Hollandsworth in the pennant race at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I agree with Kahrl about the bad move of starting Ramirez right after he pitched in relief the night before, but Christina obviously hasn't processed how bad EZ was struggling. I agree with the Reds' decision to option Ramirez to AAA.

I also don't think there's been any indication that Michalak will be a main rotation cog, either, beyond talk of the one start.
    One would think the Reds need another RH reliever going into the series against a heavily RH team like the Cards and following it up with the RH Pirates.

Ah yes -- series of poor moves reverses 9-20 nosedive and keeps team in wild card lead -- how pitiful.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Ah yes -- series of poor moves reverses 9-20 nosedive and keeps team in wild card lead -- how pitiful.
    correlation does not imply causation

I still don't like Denorfia not being on the potential playoff roster.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I still don't like Denorfia not being on the potential playoff roster.
    that is an issue the Reds seriously need to deal with. If no Denorfia there is no speed on the bench and there is no way you need three catchers in a playoff series.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

If the K-Rod loophole is still in effect, then with all the guys we have on the 60-day DL we could put just about anyone we wanted on the postseason roster, particularly if MLB still has the "eh, whatever" attitude. The only thing they truly seem to care about is that the guy was in the organization before September 1.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    there is no way you need three catchers in a playoff series.
    That never stopped Booby Cox when he was constructing the Braves' post-season lineup.

Every year, he'd put 3 catchers on the roster.

And every year, it would bite him in the butt.

It's been like watching Sisyphus.

correlation does not imply causation
    Of course, there are many causes, but I fail to understand how all the roster moves can be broadbrushed as "punch drunk" when that trade marked the end of a 9-20 streak and the beginning of a .500+ stretch. One would have to think that the moves have had some positive bearing, though it's clear that Kahrl has no interest in noting any positive contributions from new arrivals (Castro, Lohse, Guardado) nor in allowing for the possibility of an intangible influence such as the proverbial "sent message" from the FO. Why would she, when it's so superior to condescend?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Of course, there are many causes, but I fail to understand how all the roster moves can be broadbrushed as "punch drunk"
    because it is really hard to see how, other than adding Guardado, the moves have helped the team(everyday Freel was simply unintended happenstance). It has resembled churning more than anything else. There has been a lot of activity but the Reds are basically in the same place they were a month ago. They have been running in place.

And now that 5th starter spot and RH relief are sore thumbs sticking out there.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    If the K-Rod loophole is still in effect, then with all the guys we have on the 60-day DL we could put just about anyone we wanted on the postseason roster, particularly if MLB still has the "eh, whatever" attitude. The only thing they truly seem to care about is that the guy was in the organization before September 1.
    The one catch is that they have to replace the injured players with someone at the same position, so right now all they can add are pitchers. That said, don't be surprised when August 31st rolls around to see an injured scrub minor league OF get called up and instantly placed on the 60 day DL so they can "replace" him with Denorfia.

They have been running in place.
    As opposed to sinking like a stone, which is what would have happened had Krivsky stared at the the Pythag and sat on his hands.

I give the FO credit for trying.

Silly article. Ramirez had his ticket Louisville the night before....he only started out of desperation. Does anyone following this team daily think he should have been kept up here?

A guy with a 9 ERA over 20+ innings has something going wrong. Mechanics, fatigue, tipping pitches......all elements you don't want to work through in the bigs.....in a pennant race.

You hope he can go down, get things healthy or fixed, and be an impact when they need it the last 4 weeks of the season.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR
    Silly article. Ramirez had his ticket Louisville the night before....he only started out of desperation. Does anyone following this team daily think he should have been kept up here?

A guy with a 9 ERA over 20+ innings has something going wrong. Mechanics, fatigue, tipping pitches......all elements you don't want to work through in the bigs.....in a pennant race.

You hope he can go down, get things healthy or fixed, and be an impact when they need it the last 4 weeks of the season.
    I thought the same thing. This writer clearly didn't do their homework. It was the night before AND the previous start against St. Louis. I like Ramierez long term if he can find himself again, but he needed to go down.

These pundits aren't like the duct tape and all on this team. I think we're going to hang tight with everybody. We've got our work cut out for us, but I'm hopeful.

Turn Off Ads?