Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tipping Pitches and Maximum Pitch Speeds

Tipping Pitches and Maximum Pitch Speeds

Here's a pair of decent articles, one of which discusses tipping pitches, written Jackie MacMullan of The Boston Glove, and the other discusses the maximum speed of a pitched ball by a human, written by Sam Mellinger of The San Diego Union-Tribune.

Tipping Pitches - http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._mound/?page=1

Maximum Pitch Speeds - http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...7speedlim.html
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 08-16-2006 at 07:25 AM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Tipping Pitches and Maximum Pitch Speeds

Good stuff. I'm convinced that what we often refer to as "luck" is tied up in things like pitchers tipping, or hidden injuries. These guys are so on top of their physical skills, that you don't see wild variation in performance based solely on random chance. It must be fascinating to know the behind the scenes story on why a certain pitcher went from a #4 guy to an ace (Chris Carpenter) or why a guy like Bobby Abreu suddenly stops hitting for power.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Dalkowski's terrible control he once lost a one-hitter 9-8 because he walked 17...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    or why a guy like Bobby Abreu suddenly stops hitting for power.
    (Cough, cough) Balco.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Tremendous article.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Maybe this is why baseball seems to be moving away from scouting by radar guns and focusing more on command and movement.
    OK, TC, have you seen evidence of this? Oh, I hope so, I think this has played a big part in the downslide of the art of pitching.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Ok that does it, I want Krivsky to go out and hire Cito Gaston this offseason.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    OK, TC, have you seen evidence of this? Oh, I hope so, I think this has played a big part in the downslide of the art of pitching.
    I do. I just wrote a lengthy piece on Bailey discussing how important command is. 92-95 MPH gives you an edge if you miss your spot. I'd rather have someone 88-91 with movement and good control. 3 pitches, good command and trust in your "stuff" is all I need. Being a former catcher I see and evaluate the game differently. I have caught two no hitters in which 1 the guy had "nothing" that game. I think he only struck out 1 or 2 batters in that game.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?