Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrew McCutchen promoted to AA: comparison to Jay Bruce?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Andrew McCutchen promoted to AA: comparison to Jay Bruce?

McCutchen was selected right before Jay was in the 1st round last year out of HS. He was playing in Low-A and was just promoted to AA Altoona. His numbers are below, compared to Jay Bruce
    Code:
    McCutchen
    G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	TB	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	AVG
    113	450	77	132	20	4	14	62	202	42	90	22	7	.358	.449	.293

Bruce
    110	413	65	124	41	5	15	76	220	42	95	18	8	.367	.533	.300
    The Pirates seem to be challenging McCutchen with the promotion, completely skipping Advanced A. Jay Bruce has better numbers across the board. Both are outfielders with all the tools you would want. Just find it interesting to see how other teams handle their players as opposed to how the Reds will handle a similar player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Andrew McCutchen promoted to AA: comparison to Jay Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    McCutchen was selected right before Jay was in the 1st round last year out of HS. He was playing in Low-A and was just promoted to AA Altoona. His numbers are below, compared to Jay Bruce
    Code:
    McCutchen
    113	450	77	132	20	4	14	62	202	42	90	22	7	.358	.449	.293

Bruce
    110	413	65	124	41	5	15	76	220	42	95	18	8	.367	.533	.300
    The Pirates seem to be challenging McCutchen with the promotion, completely skipping Advanced A. Jay Bruce has better numbers across the board. Both are outfielders with all the tools you would want. Just find it interesting to see how other teams handle their players as opposed to how the Reds will handle a similar player.

The Pirates have a weak outfield except for Bay. If anything, they're pushing him along. The Reds have the luxury of a stable OF at the major league level, so there's no reason to rush Bruce and/or Stubbs. Let them develop at their own pace.

Well there isnt a reason to rush Stubbs, he is struggling in rookie ball. Jay on the other hand is dominating the league he is in.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    The Pirates have a weak outfield except for Bay. If anything, they're pushing him along. The Reds have the luxury of a stable OF at the major league level, so there's no reason to rush Bruce and/or Stubbs. Let them develop at their own pace.
    You could look at it that way, but Griffey is an injury risk, and is Freel really a viable long term OFer? I'm not saying he isn't, but at the same time it could be said we need another OFer up here next year, or 08 just as badly as the Pirates might. I wouldn't mind seeing him at least close the year out in high A or even AA.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    You could look at it that way, but Griffey is an injury risk, and is Freel really a viable long term OFer? I'm not saying he isn't, but at the same time it could be said we need another OFer up here next year, or 08 just as badly as the Pirates might. I wouldn't mind seeing him at least close the year out in high A or even AA.

I think a promotion to Sarasota would be good for him. Then, if he does well in a short stint there and has a good spring, it's on to Chattanooga.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

If they haven't promoted him to Sarasota by now, they're probably not going to. The minor-league season is over in less than three weeks. If anything, they'd promote him to Chattanooga so he could play in the SL playoffs. But I expect they'll leave him where he is and then send him somewhere like the AFL or winter ball and have him ready to zoom up the ladder next year.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    we also have denorfia, who i think can play in the majors... but i guess while we are paying griffey the big bucks, he's gonna play.

I dont understand it. Even Delmon Young didn't go to double a in his first pro season. Bruce's numbers are better across the board except for SB. We have a star in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    I dont understand it. Even Delmon Young didn't go to double a in his first pro season. Bruce's numbers are better across the board except for SB. We have a star in the making.
    While thats true, this is Jays second season. At the same age and stage Jay is at now, Delmon Young was playing a full season in AA and AAA. Delmon was 18 his first year in A-ball, then at 19 he played at AA and AAA.

guess i was wrong. i still don't understand why the pirates are pushing mclutcheon. they can't afford to screw him up, after bullington, van benschoten all failed. plus neil walker seems to have hit a wall this year. they need to make sure he fully develops, he won't be the difference between a last place team and a playoff squad in a few years.

McCutchen doesnt really compare to the pitchers you named. An injury can end a pitchers career, that often doesnt happen for a position player. I think the rest of the season isnt anything that is major. I think he will probably start out there next year though if he does well while he is there.

IMHO, Jay staying in Dayton has more to do with that team trying to make the playoffs than anything else.

MClutcheon is also almost a year older than Jay. He is only a few months younger than Homer.

McCutchen is only 6 months older than Bruce, he is also 5 months younger than Homer Bailey is.

Turn Off Ads?