Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Edwin Suggestion

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Edwin Suggestion

I was pondering this idea for next season, if we don't pick anyone up in the infield and the INF roster stays the same. Why not try Edwin out at first base a little bit. It's obvious that he has great range, but I've seen him bounce a lot of long throws to first or make throws that pull the first baseman off the bag. Being at first he would still be able to show off his range and you'd eliminate a lot of throwing for him.

If our roster looks the same next year, I wouldn't mind trying something like Hatte at 3rd, BP at SS, Aurilia at 2nd and Edwin at 1st. Just a thought, because I'd like to see how it would work out, I don't know about moving someone like Hatteberg though and I know we have him signed through next year.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Edwin Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337
    Hatte at 3rd
    Thoughts?
    That's not something we want.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Becuase with Edwins glove at third, he can win gold gloves when he gets his throws under control....and that will happen very soon, it already has started.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    That's not something we want.
    Yeah, I don't like the thought of that either, but I'd like to see what Edwin could do at first for at least a couple games.

Id rather see what he could do at second before first.

I'd rather see him get a couple of years at 3B under the belt.

The kids is going to be fine. Being a former 3Bman myself, throwing from third is 50% muscle memory and about 50% relying on that muscle memory and not using your head (ask Arod). EE is a hardworker and eventually he's going to trust the hardwork he puts in. He has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since the beginning of the season and has show great range, I don't know if hes ever going to be a gold glover especially with Scott Rolen and David Wright in the NL but he very well could develop into an above average 3Bman

People seem to forget when the Reds aquired him we moved him around from 3rd SS and 2B. WHen he bulked up they settled on 3B. He hasnt been a fulltime 3Bman for longer than 2 years. He has above average arm strength great range and great work ethic... Pretty much everything you need . Once he trusts himself he'll be a good 3bman

Hmm..after that play why don't we just go ahead and leave him over at third. He might make a decent play now and again.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Because he's a damned good third baseman? The hot corner is a very difficult position. Why waste him at first?

It's much easier to insert someone at first than it is third, especially if you want them to play third well. Edwin is very effective at third... and he's only going to get better.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Roster glue

I am personally baffled by the amount of sentiment in this town--referring to radio (mostly Brennaman), people in the stands, and a smattering here on RZ--that EE would be more useful as a 1B. Judging by experience (no stats to back this up), mostly "tall, lumbering guys" are the ones that get moved simply because they do not have the range.

EE is a very good athlete, has outstanding range, and good instincts. Those traits cannot be taught. EE has a tendency to lose control when he "lobs" throws or has extra time to think about throwing. Control of an erratic arm CAN, to some degree, be taught. If EE was 6'4", 240, I could see it...but in my opinion Reds fans should be happy to pencil a potential top-5 offensive and defensive 3B--EE--in at 3B for at least the next 5 years.

If he falls on his face, so be it. I do not think he will, and he HAS improved over the course of the year. Another factor that does not work in his favor is that Aurilia/Hatteberg are not good at keeping high throws from sailing past. They are still errant throws, but if Edwin had had a couple "saved" by his teammates the number of errors and fielding % would not be as eye-popping.

Sometimes I wonder if the reach and length of Sean Casey at first might have helped EdE out of some tough throws.

I think its perfectly insane that we should yank EdE this soon. I've said way too much on other threads.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

News Flash:

3B is a tough position. Even the best players will make a good number of errors. I'd rather have a guy with EE's range make 30 errors than a guy with Aurillia's range making 15. EE will win a gold glove within 5 years. Guaranteed. He has gotten much better throughout the season and will be terrific after more offseason practice.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I think EE is doing a fine job at 3B; he's growing into the position very nicely. Made a terrific play last night.

Hatte stopped catching, IIRC, because he had arm problems and couldn't make the throw any longer. So he's not an option for anywhere but 1B.
    sorry we're boring

Throwing mechanics can be fixed. Range and quick reaction time (both of which Edwin possesses) are not something that can be taught.

With some regular playing time, Edwin's throws will become more and more automatic.

Patience.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I wouldn't mind trying something like Hatte at 3rd, BP at SS, Aurilia at 2nd and Edwin at 1st.
    Baseball dyslexia can be conquered.

Turn Off Ads?