Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nickname aside, Guardado knows he needs rest (8/16)

Nickname aside, Guardado knows he needs rest (8/16)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Nickname aside, Guardado knows he needs rest
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Eddie Guardado isn't ready to change his nickname to "Not-quite-as-often Eddie," but he realizes if he's hurting, he has to be honest with the Reds.

Guardado was hurting when he took the ball Sunday and blew a save for the Reds.

"I was hurting myself and my team," he said.

Guardado, the Reds' closer, has been bothered by tightness in his left (throwing) forearm for three weeks. The pain comes and goes. Some days are better than others.

"I've been coming in early every day and working on it," Guardado said. "I want to be out there bad. We're in a pennant race. ..."

Guardado's reputation is that of a guy who will take the ball any time - thus the "Everyday Eddie" nickname.

Reds manager Jerry Narron said the club will weigh that when asking Guardado if he can pitch.

"We have to be careful and make sure he's healthy," Narron said.

"He's going to say he's available. It's up to us to pick some days for somebody else to close."

Guardado's numbers with the Reds are good: 1.32 ERA, eight saves in 10 opportunities and 14 hits and 16 strikeouts in 132/3 innings.

Sunday's outing was Guardado's worst as a Red. He allowed three hits and two runs (both unearned) and blew a save.

He actually felt good warming up.

"It started grabbing me on the third pitch," he said. "I couldn't finish my pitches. When you're hurting - no matter how hard you try - you can't do it."

The problem is in his forearm, just below the elbow. Guardado said he has been assured he won't do further damage by continuing to pitch.

The only remedy is extended rest. Guardado isn't ready for that.

"I don't got time to rest," he said.

But he isn't going to try to play the hero every night.

"We'll monitor it," he said. "The good thing is it's getting better."
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608160364/1071

Guardado will be used less frequently
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

ST. LOUIS - The very thought of declaring himself unavailable to pitch for a particular game runs counter to every instinct Eddie Guardado has.

But the Reds' closer is inching closer to accepting that he'll have to take that approach the rest of the year. He beat himself up verbally after Sunday's game in Philadelphia, saying he hurt the team by pitching after his troublesome left forearm tightened up on him. He knows he can't do that anymore, but he has a hard time voluntarily putting himself on the sidelines when the team needs him the most.

"I feel like crap," he said Tuesday. "We're here, we're in a pennant race, they brought me over here in a pennant race to do my job, and when you have to be monitored it's not a good thing."

Guardado will be monitored from this point forward, but as much as his forearm has nagged him, it remains unpredictable. He said it felt fine before Sunday's game, fine when he was warming up in the bullpen, then locked up on him on the third pitch he threw after entering the game.

"You can't pitch that way," Guardado said. "No matter how much you try, it's not happening."

Guardado gave up three hits and two unearned runs in the bottom of the ninth, allowing the Phillies to tie the score. He also struck out three batters. But he never really knew where the ball was going.

When his forearm tightens up, it feels like a ball a little ways below his elbow. He said it keeps him from extending his arm and finishing his pitches - and it happens no matter what pitch he's trying to throw.

"I'm cutting everything off and it floats away or it floats back over the plate," he said. "Not where you want to be."

Reds trainer Mark Mann has told Guardado the only treatment that will clear everything up is rest, and that isn't an option Guardado is considering right now. So the only remaining solution is moderation, and manager Jerry Narron said the Reds will take that route.

"I think the one thing we just have to be careful of is making sure that he's healthy," Narron said. "He's going to say he's available every day even though he might not be available. It's going to be up to us to pick some days that we close with somebody else."

The Reds won't say anything in advance on the days Guardado isn't available. They'll just save David Weathers, Todd Coffey or Bill Bray for the inning(s) Guardado would normally work.

All the while, both the team and the veteran pitcher will be hoping he can continue to contribute on a regular basis, even if it is less often than he would like.

"It's killing me," said Guardado. "But I've got to be smart and not hurt myself and not hurt the team."
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....608160338/1027
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Nickname aside, Guardado knows he needs rest (8/16)

Is Every-other-Day Eddie headed to the DL?

Trader Wayne just acquired Scott Schoeneweis from the Blue Jays, for a PTBNL, per Marc's blog. Another lefty...
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?