Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Grande = Closet Cardinal Fan?

George Grande = Closet Cardinal Fan?

I know George Grande likes to fawn over the opponent's players but his love for all things Cardinal is nauseating. He's got to be a charter member of the Jim Edmonds / David Eckstein fanclubs.

This post serves absolutely no purpose but it feels better to vent. The alternative would be to do this...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: George Grande = Closet Cardinal Fan?

The Cardinals love from opposing broadcasters and media types in general is pretty grotesque.

Akin to the love afforded Duke in college hoops ... warranted? Maybe. Overkill? Definitely.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

George acts like that with every team. He often gets more excited when the opponent does something. Or maybe it just seems that way to me because I'm ticked off. But I've noticed that many times. Just another reason why he's awful (reason No. 368).

Reason 369: Runner on 2nd, 1 out. Batter grounds out to second. George Grande: "LaRue grounds out, but does his job by advancing the runner to 3rd." Uh, no George. There are now 2 outs. Yes, there are many ways to score from third as opposed to second, but it's still not "getting the job done" when you ground out to second for the second out even if the runner advances. And Grande has done it like 10 times (at least) this year. You would think someone would correct him, or tell him to never say it again.

There is nothing 'closet' about it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    There is nothing 'closet' about it.
    He's leading the "Cards fan pride" parade.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The first time he calls Pujols "Prince Albert" the tv is off and Marty is on. Cast has to hear about this...it bothers me

C'mon now, George Grande is one of the nicest guys around, and one hell of a baseball fan. I do think he tries a little too hard to be unbiased, but that's old school journalism in that sense. I also think that he goes overboard at times with opposing players, but the guy has a great rapport with every team in the game, so it's to be expected. I can't stand the Cardinals, and the sight of LaRussa, Pujols and the rest makes me want to get sick, but I respect the hell out of them, and I think that's where Grande is coming from. BUT, with that being said, I sure would like to see him be more of a homer.

Quote Originally Posted by jocross
    The first time he calls Pujols "Prince Albert" the tv is off and Marty is on. Cast has to hear about this...it bothers me
    Yeah he's Prince Albert alright.

Edit: baseball "man," not baseball "fan." Although I'm sure he is a fan, that's not what I was trying to get at

From 1991-92 he broadcast Cardinals baseball games before he joined the Reds TV team in 1993.

George is out of the closet.

Good grief... why not just drop it already!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Good grief... why not just drop it already!
    That wouldn't be Redszone then. Things need to be beaten to death and every one is a better manager or gm than the present regime
    Last edited by Topcat; 08-15-2006 at 11:23 PM.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I think he has "love affairs" with the opposing team's players because you start to run out of stuff, when you are commentating on the same team over and over.
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

A broadcaster has different duties than just pure fans do. Of course he would like to see the team that he follows win, but his job is to also report news and information to the public, as well as call the game, so it's also important to develop solid relationships with other teams and other players. If Grande were to go on the air and be completely one sided towards the Reds, he would garner no respect, and therefore wouldn't have the "inside track" that is considered so important in his profession. I don't think he goes over the top all that often. Most of the time it's just stating the obvious. Now, when Welsh said tonight "don't pay attention to the recent stats, the Cards are still a heck of a ballclub," I think that was pushing it a bit. In one breath they'd talk about how they lost Walker, Sanders and how Mulder was hurt, and then the next minute they mention how they're the Cards, and we shouldn't forget it. Something has to give there...

Turn Off Ads?