Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer to make only 1 more start?

Homer to make only 1 more start?

HOMER UPDATE: As well as Homer Bailey has pitched, there's a possibility his season will be coming to an end shortly.

He has thrown 123 innings this year. That's near the limit the Reds want for a 20-year-old.

"We're cognizant of it," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "You've got to be careful about it. What you always want is 30 innings more than the year before."

Bailey threw 1032/3 innings at Single-A Dayton last year

Per Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608160362/1071

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer to make only 1 more start?

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    HOMER UPDATE: As well as Homer Bailey has pitched, there's a possibility his season will be coming to an end shortly.

He has thrown 123 innings this year. That's near the limit the Reds want for a 20-year-old.

"We're cognizant of it," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "You've got to be careful about it. What you always want is 30 innings more than the year before."

Bailey threw 1032/3 innings at Single-A Dayton last year

Per Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608160362/1071
    my guess earlier was that they would limit him to 150IP. Sounds like he might not get that many.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

when do the playoffs start?
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09
    when do the playoffs start?
    Does this mean he won't pitch in the AA playoffs?

That is what it sounds like.

My question is, if you only want them to throw 30 more innings than the previous year, isnt it about time to shut down Travis Wood?

He has already thrown 114 innings as a 19 year old and threw just 48.2 last year as a pro (I am sure he threw a chunk of innings as a high schooler last year).

Im thinking theyre going to just shut down all the minor league pitchers and take their ball and go home. Really this makes no sense if his team is headed for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Im thinking theyre going to just shut down all the minor league pitchers and take their ball and go home. Really this makes no sense if his team is headed for the playoffs.
    The fact is, his ORGANIZATION is the Cincinnati Reds, not the Chattanooga Lookouts, thus it makes plenty of sense if Wayne Krivsky is convinced from his previous experience that this is the best approach to take to preserve his arm. This way, he will hopefully maintain his health a couple of years from now when he's headed to the playoffs for the Cincinnati Reds. Personally, I'll sacrifice a Double A championship if it means he can compete someday for a World Series.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Really this makes no sense if his team is headed for the playoffs.
    If they believe Bailey should only pitch X innings -- whatever X is -- then if reaching that threshold means he can't pitch in the Southern League playoffs, so be it. Getting Bailey to the big leagues effective and healthy is the point of the farm system. Getting Chattanooga a trophy isn't.
    Not all who wander are lost

How about giving him two more starts, 5 innings each -- at Louisville. Give him a taste of AAA before shutting him down. AA playoffs then are out of the picture. Just a thought, but it might be a nice way to set up Bailey's 2007.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This could end the debate on if we'll see him in a Reds uniform at all this season...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    This could end the debate on if we'll see him in a Reds uniform at all this season...
    Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I don't think it was ever a real debate. It was never going to happen.

I like this thinking by Wayne. Smart.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Hopefully.
    Doug not to bust on you. But did you notice the way Liriano was eased into the rotation in Minnesota? The most Valuable comodity in MLB is cheap young dominant pitchers. The Red's past performace is pathetic. I would let this kid do 2 maybe even 3 years more in the Minors. The determining factor on if I send him to the majors would be dictated by exactly how close the need would be to add him to make us world series contenders. Otherwise why even jeopardize thiis Future Phenom for a wildcard spot?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I can argue that pitching under playoff conditions would be part of development, it was a part of development back in the Big Red Machine days. I guess times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Doug not to bust on you. But did you notice the way Liriano was eased into the rotation in Minnesota? The most Valuable comodity in MLB is cheap young dominant pitchers. The Red's past performace is pathetic. I would let this kid do 2 maybe even 3 years more in the Minors. The determining factor on if I send him to the majors would be dictated by exactly how close the need would be to add him to make us world series contenders. Otherwise why even jeopardize thiis Future Phenom for a wildcard spot?
    I don't mean to speak for Doug, but I think he was saying he doesn't want Homer in the Majors this year.

Turn Off Ads?