Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homer to make only 1 more start?

Re: Homer to make only 1 more start?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Doug not to bust on you. But did you notice the way Liriano was eased into the rotation in Minnesota? The most Valuable comodity in MLB is cheap young dominant pitchers. The Red's past performace is pathetic. I would let this kid do 2 maybe even 3 years more in the Minors. The determining factor on if I send him to the majors would be dictated by exactly how close the need would be to add him to make us world series contenders. Otherwise why even jeopardize thiis Future Phenom for a wildcard spot?
    Topcat, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying hopefully it means people will quit saying "Bring him up already!". It starts to be annoying, especailly when I know he isnt ready, and I am the type that is argumenative and even I am tired of trying to tell people that he isnt ready. If they shut him down and pat him on the back and say "great season son. Go home to Texas, keep in shape and we will see you in spring" it will say me a little bit of hair from being ripped out from arguing with people.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If I were the GM I'd probably shut him down after another couple of starts. Then next year I start him back at Double A, if he dominates again then I'd promote him to Triple A rather quickly, and if it appears he is ready then I'd bring him up and plop him in the bullpen, a la Johan Santana. And I'd leave him there til he dominates, just like Santana and Liriano did. Don't put him in the rotation until he knows he can get out MLB hitters even without his best stuff.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

next year I start him back at Double A
    I wouldn't. He has proven he can overmatch those teams. Keep challenging/rewarding him -- he seems to respond well to challenges. AAA.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    next year I start him back at Double A,
    Been there, done that.

Invite him to ST and see if he has what it takes to make the big club...if not, send him to the little club (AAA).
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-17-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Depends where Homer's curve is at. If he has refined it and it throwing it for strikes regularly, he can move to AAA. Develope a 2 seamer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Depends where Homer's curve is at. If he has refined it and it throwing it for strikes regularly, he can move to AAA. Develope a 2 seamer as well.
    This is exactly how the Reds should determine if Homer is ready to be promoted or not. He has proven he can dominate with his fastball, let's see him make progress with his secondary pitches before he moves up. He needs to work on his curve and change in AA, not the bullpen for the Reds.

Wayne Krivsky says he’ll shut down Homer Bailey because he doesn’t like to see increases of more than 30 innings year over year. I like this Krivsky guy more and more …
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...b1eb975413391b

Well then what on earth is the explaination for whats going on with Travis Wood?

If this actually was Homer Bailey's last start it ended like this:5 2/3 IP 6 H 2 R 2 ER 3 BB 6 K. A two-out double accounting for both runs. A decent start.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave
    If this actually was Homer Bailey's last start it ended like this:5 2/3 IP 6 H 2 R 2 ER 3 BB 6 K. A two-out double accounting for both runs. A decent start.
    Was that tonight?

Yes.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Yes.
    Thanks.

Bailey will probably pitch around 150I's next year unless of injury, which happens to all pitchers time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave
    MiLB.com says he pitched a 4 2/3 innings.

Turn Off Ads?