Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What current or former Dodger do you dislike the most?

Re: What current or former Dodger do you dislike the most?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    I would have to say Steve Yeager is who I dislike the most after reading a Baseball Digest article in the mid-1970's. It was titled, The Catcher Who Says He Is Better Than Bench.
    I remember that article.

Yeager's a distant cousin of my stepsisters, and was born down the road in West Hamlin (no matter what his baseball card says), delivered by a doctor I used to visit.

But he was a Dodger, so none of the rest matters.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Gotta be Marvy Garvey at the top of the list. I remember talk while he wore the Blue that he would probably run for the Senate after his playing days were over. I prefer the abject humiliation that a career of serial womanizing delivered.

I'd probably go with Orel Hershiser next. Holier than thou and too often a Reds-killer according to my memory bank.

For some reason, I never despised Lasorda. I guess I figured at the time that his teams were winning in spite of him. Plus I found him much more charming than most of the Reds managers of that era.

I look forward to the "least favorite Astro" thread. I'll bet I've got one that nobody would come up with.

Has Chan Ho Park been mentioned yet??? He is yet another that I just couldn't stand...

And then there were three other pitchers as well...Pedro Astacio, and the Martinez brothers of Pedro and Ramon.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    Fernando (talk about stealing the Cy Young!)
    Word. Like the RoY award wasn't good enough? Seaver was 18 and frickin' 1

'81 was a disaster for Red's fans. Best record in the NL, but no room on the dance card in October.
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Word. Like the RoY award wasn't good enough? Seaver was 18 and frickin' 1

'81 was a disaster for Red's fans. Best record in the NL, but no room on the dance card in October.
    You can make good arguments on behalf of three pitchers for the 1981 NL Cy Young award. Fernando Valenzuela won it. He had a 13-7 record with a 2.48 ERA, a 134 ERA+, 11 complete games, 8 shutouts, 192.3 innings pitched, 140 hits allowed, 61 base on balls allowed, and 180 Ks.
    Tom Seaver went 14-2 (not 18 and frickin' 1) with a 2.54 ERA, a 140 ERA+, 6 complete games, 1 shutout, 166.3 innings pitched, 120 hits allowed, 66 base on balls allowed, and 87 Ks.
    Steve Carlton went 13-4 with a 2.42 ERA, a 150 ERA+, 10 complete games, 1 shutout, 190 innings pitched, 152 hits allowed, 62 base on balss allowed, and 179 Ks.
    I look at those numbers now, 25 years later, and I still don't know who I would have voted for.
    By the way, I discovered something else while I was looking up those stats. I of course knew that the Reds had the best record in baseball that strike-interrupted 1981 season, yet didn't make the playoffs. What I didn't know was that the Reds Pythagoream record was not nearly as good as their actual record, which means they may have been somewhat lucky. While the Reds went 66-42, they scored 464 runs and gave up 440, for a Pythagoream record of 57-51. The 1981 Dodgers scored 450 runs and allowed 356, for a Pythagoream record of 67-43 as opposed to their actual 63-47 mark.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    Yeager's a distant cousin of my stepsisters, and was born down the road in West Hamlin (no matter what his baseball card says), delivered by a doctor I used to visit.

But he was a Dodger, so none of the rest matters.
    And Yeager played high school baseball in Dayton for Meadowdale High School.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Mike Marshall (the pitcher) because he reportedly used to mock Tony Perez. The slimebag couldn't have carried Perez's Hall of Fame jockstrap.
    SEPTEMBER 7, 1974 … The National League’s biggest Western Division rivalry continues at full speed before a Saturday afternoon crowd of 50,014 fans at Cincinnati’s Riverfront Stadium. Reds’ second baseman Joe Morgan, playing with a badly sprained ankle, falls at home plate while batting against Dodgers’ ace reliever Mike Marshall in the eighth-inning. Morgan refuses Sparky Anderson’s request to come out of the game and then belts Marshall’s next pitch over the right field fence for a 2-run HR to break the 5-5 tie. Junior Kennedy replaces Morgan at second base in the top of the ninth-inning. Lefty pitcher Freddie Norman throws a scoreless ninth-inning of relief to preserve the win for Cincinnati reliever Clay Carroll. Reds 7, Dodgers 5.

I didlike John Purdin immensely, he and MIke Kekich and Dick Calmus were exceedingly successful twelfth pitchers

Kirk Gibson, just because I get sick of seeing the inevitable fist-pumping anytime ESPN does one of their "biggest HRs of all time" or something similar.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    And Yeager played high school baseball in Dayton for Meadowdale High School.

And he was an even better basketball player for Meadowdale. IIRC, he was the all-city player of the year as a senior (1967) and got a lot of props for that.

I thought he would go on to play college hoops and was very surprised when he was drafted and signed with the Dodgers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Kirk Gibson, just because I get sick of seeing the inevitable fist-pumping anytime ESPN does one of their "biggest HRs of all time" or something similar.
    Better the Dodgers in the '88 Series than Tony LaRussa's A's!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?