Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nats tweaking Kearns' swing (8/15)

Nats tweaking Kearns' swing (8/15)

8/15/2006

Nats tweaking Kearns' swing
    By TODD JACOBSON

WASHINGTON--The Austin Kearns that has played 27 games for the Nationals this season isn't quite the Austin Kearns the team traded for, and manager Frank Robinson and hitting coach Mitchell Page recently set out to correct that.

Robinson and Page have been working with the right fielder to correct a small mechanical flaw in his swing that affects his timing at the plate.

Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez were acquired from the Cincinnati Reds in an eight-player trade July 13, and in the 27 games since the trade, Kearns was hitting .245 with just one home run, six extra-base hits and 10 RBIs.

"When you are in a slump it's really nothing major," Robinson said. "It's usually just something very simple you are doing but the longer you are in that slump and the more things you keep trying, or tinkering with your stance and your mechanics, the worse it gets and the tougher it is to get out of it."

Kearns entered yesterday's game hitting .179 in August, but singled home a run in the first inning.

"You know when you feel good and you don't," Kearns said. "There are times when you are battling to find it and there are times when you are up there in a 2-0 count and you feel like you are battling. It's a long season. You have your highs and you just try to keep your lows at a minimum. You've got to work at it and try to be consistent."

The trade affected Kearns perhaps harder than anyone. He grew up in Lexington, Ky., and had known no other team but the Reds since Cincinnati drafted him in the first round of the 1999 draft.

He and his wife, Abby, recently had their first child, a boy named Aubrey.

"I felt kind of lost almost," Kearns said last month. "It's just an adjustment that has to be made."

Slowly, he's making it. Robinson said Kearns was "very" receptive to his suggestions, and his first-inning RBI was his third of the month.

That, Robinson said, was a good start.

"There is a certain production we expect out of him and a certain production he can give us and right now he is struggling a little bit," Robinson said.
    http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...8152006/214062
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nats tweaking Kearns' swing (8/15)

In other news I saw Austin lose 2 bats in the stands over the weekend.

Kearns entered yesterday's game hitting .179 in August, but singled home a run in the first inning.
    That was a gift too, the bases were juiced and he hit a dribbler to Renteria who muffed it and the hometown scorer gave him the hit.

Maybe it will go over as good as Tiger Woods swing change.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

:deadhorse
    Last edited by Team Clark; 08-16-2006 at 01:32 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

In other news I saw Austin lose 2 bats in the stands over the weekend.
    Didn't he go through a streak last year of tossing his bat...a lot. I think I remember him doing it twice in one at bat. Marty about had a stroke.

That's just my perception so I may be wrong.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Didn't he go through a streak last year of tossing his bat...a lot. I think I remember him doing it twice in one at bat. Marty about had a stroke.

That's just my perception so I may be wrong.
    Wasn't that attributed to collateral damage as a result of that freaky thumb injury? Seems like it was awhile before he was able to grip the bat firmly.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Wasn't that attributed to collateral damage as a result of that freaky thumb injury? Seems like it was awhile before he was able to grip the bat firmly.
    That may well be. I don't remember all the details. Just the flying timber.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

I remember it that way. He had a week or so where he had trouble gripping the bat.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

"So Fla Red"

Nats win 9-6 but AK went 0-5 with a couple of K's tonight... Ugly month for AK.

Lopez had a decent night at the plate (2-4).

Well, at least Kearns is working on improving his game. Maybe he's not that lazy after all
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Well, at least Kearns is working on improving his game. Maybe he's not that lazy after all
    I'm sure one or two people are laughing. HA HA.

Turn Off Ads?