Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BP mention of Travis Wood

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

BP mention of Travis Wood

In a Kevin Goldstein article, ranking his top 15 left-handed starters in the minors. Nothing really new here:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5434 (BP premium article)

14. Travis Wood, Reds

A second-round pick out of an Arkansas high school last year, Wood's pro debut last year bordered on stunning as he struck out 67 in 49 innings while allowing just 28 hits. Wood has two very good pitches in a 91-94 mph fastball and a plus-plus changeup, but he's also a bit on the small side and extremely raw when it comes to his mechanics and the lack of a useable breaking pitch. The progress he makes with his curveball will define his future role, and his development will require patience.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP mention of Travis Wood

Remember Travis Wood put up big numbers last year and now Clayton Kershaw puts up big numbers and he is already the second best lefty in the minors. The Dodgers system gets overrated just like the Yankees.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No, Clayton Kershaw is that good.

Remember Travis Wood put up big numbers last year and now Clayton Kershaw puts up big numbers and he is already the second best lefty in the minors
    Don't be jealous. Just be happy that we have 3 very good pitching prospects that can't even legally drink yet!

No I'm not saying anything bad about Kershaw I'm just saying they have him already above guys who have produced at higher levels already. I think he is very good though.

This article also makes you think about how good it would have been to have the 6th or 7th pick. Right now it looks like the draft had some special arms.

We had Lincecum too, oh wait............
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Wood's consistency has suffered in the past month-plus, but he did manage six pretty darn good innings tonight.

I generally do agree, though, that his load needs some lightening. He's now pitched 120 innings in his first full season.

And now Dayton's largely out of the playoff hunt at 3.5 games away from that last spot.

but he's also a bit on the small side and extremely raw when it comes to his mechanics and the lack of a useable breaking pitch.
    What's wrong with his delivery? He looked a little jerky in his draft video, but he seemed to have his mechanics smoothed out this year.

I think Woods problem is that he is an all effort pitcher. That is an even bigger problem down the road because he is very small in stature. However, from some reports it seems that they have Wood throwing a little smoother (hitting 91-93, instead of 95).

How small is he? And how small is too small? Just a cursory glance through some rosters show the following: Oswalt is 6-0. Backe is 6-0. Santana is 6-0. Pedro is 5-11.

For the past 20 yrs the Reds have seemingly relied on the looks quotient. That hasn't worked. Let's go with the results. So long as the kid is getting people out, I don't see the problem.

He is 6'0, but he is also 160 pounds which is another problem. For every small pitcher that succeeded. Handfuls flamed out.

I think Woods problem is that he is an all effort pitcher. That is an even bigger problem down the road because he is very small in stature.
    His delivery looked pretty effortless when I watched him on TV. Like I said, he went all "oswalt" in his draft video, but he seems to have toned it down this season.

Turn Off Ads?