Turn Off Ads?

Thread: September Callups

September Callups

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

SEPTEMBER CALL-UPS: Krivsky hasn't decided how many players will be called up when rosters expand Sept. 1.

"When you're in the race, you bring up more," he said. "You never know when a pinch runner could help you win a game. I can tell you cost won't be a factor."

The Reds will get an influx of arms around Sept. 1 as players come off the disabled list. Right-handers Gary Majewski, Jason Standridge and Matt Belisle all should be ready by then.

Outfielder Chris Denorfia is pretty much assured of a call-up.

Other players on the 40-man roster who would be candidates: infielders Ray Olmedo and Joey Votto, outfielder Brandon Watson, left-handers Michael Gosling and Phil Dumatrait and right-handers Ramirez and Mike Burns.

HOMER UPDATE: As well as Homer Bailey has pitched, there's a possibility his season will be coming to an end shortly.

He has thrown 123 innings this year. That's near the limit the Reds want for a 20-year-old.

"We're cognizant of it," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "You've got to be careful about it. What you always want is 30 innings more than the year before."

Bailey threw 1032/3 innings at Single-A Dayton last year.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608160362/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: September Callups

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

That is good news. Should we do an over/under on the number of guys getting called up? I say 4.

EDIT: I forgot about one player. Change mine to 5. Final Answer.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 08-16-2006 at 01:39 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Roster glue

I hope Ray Olmedo and Joe Votto can get about 25-35 PA apiece.

I would really like to get some offensive production out of the SS slot and solidify the bottom of the lineup should Castro's recent power surge fizzle. Unfortunately, my opinion is that Olmedo will only get playing time if the Reds fall out of it on their upcoming West Coast Trip.

As for the bullpen arms, whatever sticks...

Quote Originally Posted by boognish
    Unfortunately, my opinion is that Olmedo will only get playing time if the Reds fall out of it on their upcoming West Coast Trip.
    C'mon, this is Jerry Narron we're talking about. If there is a lineup he hasn't used yet, you can be sure he'll use it by the end of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I can't see the harm in calling all of them up. You never know when you will be in a long game like last friday. If you don't use them so be it. They would be an inexpensive insurance policy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

If cost is not a factor, I see no harm in calling up the lot of them. Votto could be useful as a bat off of the bench. Denorfia could be even more useful as he could allow Freel to move around the diamond when LHPs are pitching for other teams. Dumatrait is a very solid LHP. Elizardo, if rested, has value. Belisle, Standridge and Majewski, if healthy, fall into the same camp. Olmedo is arguably a better SS option than Castro or Clayton. Watson is young, fast, and could back up Jr. in late innings in CF if/when the Reds are well ahead. The ones I'm not so sure about are Gosling and Burns.

I don't think costs is a part of it. Don't guys on the 40 man get paid the major league minimum anyway?

"So Fla Red"

"When you're in the race, you bring up more," he said. "You never know when a pinch runner could help you win a game. I can tell you cost won't be a factor."

Cost not a factor -- Someone hijacked the "small market/small minded" Reds we all know and love and inserted in Cincinnati a franchise owner with a pulse and desire to win.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    I don't think costs is a part of it. Don't guys on the 40 man get paid the major league minimum anyway?
    Not unless they have a major league contract or are on the active roster.

Cool - So if say Votto gets called up onto the expanded roster he gets major league minimum for a month? Can't be that much money I'm sure its only a couple of those dollar hotdogs.

I think Bailey should be called up and here is my reasoning:

I would not start him at all. I would not use him in a crucial situation.

I would only use him in a blowout, solely for the purpose to see if he can get MLB players out and to put him in a pressure-less situation so he can just do his thing. If he starts to get rocked, get him out of there immediately. It would also serve as a pressure-less initiation to MLB at it's top level.

It would be a great way to break the guy in. You're not counting on him to win you the pennant. You have plenty of other pitchers to finish this season.

The other side of the coin is that he gets in a few blowouts, blows the opposing batters away and maybe then Narron CAN use him as an extra arm. September is going to be a long month.........and a dog fight. It would not hurt at all to bring up Bailey and state exactly what I said to the media and fans regarding how he will be used.

It's kind of like Carson Palmer's first season. Sitting on the bench, being in the environment, and listening and learning from the Reds players could only help.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I would like to see Votto, Dumatrait, and Norris Hopper.. unfortunatly the 27 year old isn't on the 40 but he is hitting .352 (330 ABs) 23 SB

i would like bailey to be with the club in september...if that means he has to be called up fine, pay him the league minimum to sit the bench, but i would like him to have experienced this (the pennant chase) before he actually leads us to winning the pennant...so in that regard i would like to see bailey be with the club (not pitch ever) NEVER.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Turn Off Ads?