Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cards might go afetr Reggie Sanders if he clears waivers! Reds should block!

Cards might go afetr Reggie Sanders if he clears waivers! Reds should block!

per prosportsdaily.com

Edmonds' exit creates yet another problem
    August 17
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz: "Jocketty could be more ambitious by checking with Arizona about the availability of Shawn Green or Luis Gonzalez. Reggie Sanders is due to make $5 million guaranteed next season, but if the Kansas City Royals are willing to pick up a sizable piece of that cost, perhaps Sanders can come back to energize a cold Cardinals clubhouse and jump-start his slow bat."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards might go afetr Reggie Sanders if he clears waivers! Reds should block!

I know this wouldn't be popular here, but I'd do that deal for several reasons. The first is your point, it keeps him from the Cards. Secondly, brings a presence I'd like to see on this club and bolsters the outfield corps. Finally, it gives Reggie the chance to finish his career where he started it.
    Keep in mind for next year that several guys here now, aren't going to be here next year, e.g. Hollandsworth and Clayton to name a couple; probably Aurilia too.

Re: Cards might go afetr Reggie Sanders if he clears waivers! Reds should block!

Yeah. I think the Reds would have to block that move.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

.244 .300 .416 .716
    Not sure i'd risk a $5 price tag for a guy that may not be a difference maker to the Cards.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I'd rather have Sanders over Hollandsworth. I think the Reds need a righthanded bat more than that lefty one Hollandsworth brings.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Not sure i'd risk a $5 price tag for a guy that may not be a difference maker to the Cards.
    Everyone seems to play better when they get to St. Louis though. Something in the water.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I'd rather have Sanders over Hollandsworth. I think the Reds need a righthanded bat more than that lefty one Hollandsworth brings.
    word.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I would be very scared if the Cards somehow get Shawn Green. The guy can still hit, and i have a bad feeling that he could be re-energized and regain his power stroke with the Cards. I hope this doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8

it wouldn't cost but a portion of the remaing salary. IMO it would be a great move and the reds could then dump hollandsworth.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Isn't Sanders on the DL? What is he on for?

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    it wouldn't cost but a portion of the remaing salary. IMO it would be a great move and the reds could then dump hollandsworth.
    I believe Reggie's got money tied to him for 2007 as well, so it wouldn't JUST be the rest of his 2006 salary the Reds are taking on.

That makes me think a little harder before I go putting in a claim on him. He is getting up there in age. With Dunn and Griffey most likely returning next year in the OF, I'm not so sure I'd want an aging Reggie Sanders flanking them everyday in the OF.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Before the Todd Hollandsworth acquisition, I thought the Reds needed both a lefty and a righty bat for the bench, which is why the I was interested in the switch-hitting Jose Cruz, Jr. But I still think that Hollandsworth will be OK from the left side, his slow start with the Reds notwithstanding--I think he is 0/6 with 6 K's since joining the club.

However, I still think that a right-handed OF bat off the bench would be helpful, especially if Rich Aurilia is going to be seeing more time at SS. (Juan Castro, Royce Clayton, and Jason LaRue just don't cut it as right-handed thunder.)

Possible options:
    Reggie Sanders
    Jose Cruz, Jr. (switch-hitter)
    Preston Wilson
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Green or Gonzo could be nice pickups for the cards, but why would the d'backs send them off? Given that the d'backs are right in there for the wild card, I'm not sure if shuffling their players to the cards does the reds a disservice or not.

Reggie Sanders ....being payed 5 million next season...hitting 250 this season....I don't want him on the reds roster. I'm not sure if he helps the cards or not. The way the reds have treated Freel, it would be just like them to bring in Sanders and bench Ryan.

I can't think about Hollandsworth being on the roster without seeing red. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure there's a mutual option with Rich A. I strongly suspect he's coming back next year.

Let the Cards have him. Sanders has been putrid this season. He's Juan Encarnacion without the glitz.

Sanders may be better than Hollandsworth, but not at the cost of 5M next season. The Reds simply can't afford to block the waiver deal because there is a chance we are stuck with him.

If the Cards claim him they are stuck with a veteran at the end of the ropes. I would love to see the Cards get stuck with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Let the Cards have him. Sanders has been putrid this season. He's Juan Encarnacion without the glitz.

Sanders may be better than Hollandsworth, but not at the cost of 5M next season. The Reds simply can't afford to block the waiver deal because there is a chance we are stuck with him.

If the Cards claim him they are stuck with a veteran at the end of the ropes. I would love to see the Cards get stuck with him.
    Sanders will probably OPS .850 for the Cards if they pick him up. Players seem to do that when they get to St Louis.

Turn Off Ads?