Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Free Agents

Re: 2007 Free Agents

Just a note, Aurillia has a $2 million team option with a $100 K buyout.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wouldn't mind:

Luis Castillo (If BP moves to SS)

Alex Gonzalez (If BP stays at 2nd)

Torii Hunter (would be amazing - GG, solid bat)
    Mike Cameron/Milton Bradley/Gary Matthews Jr./Dave Roberts (spot starters, great bench, maybe earn starting job)

Matt Stairs (great backup and bench guy)
    Jermaine Dye (but he's not going anywhere)

Joel Pinero (maybe??)
    Tom Ohka
    Gil Meche
    Tony Armas Jr.
    Brad Radke (definitely, and we just might get him)
    Kelvim Escobar (depends on the price)
    Jeff Suppan/Jason Marquis (maybe if cheap and we think they can turn it around)

Ted Lilly (maybe if cheap, but very homer happy)
    Randy Wolf (Could be solid and cheap)
    Mark Mulder (might be had very cheap after the last couple years, but a big risk)

Arthur Rhodes
    Dennys Reyes
    Darren Oliver
    Ray King (but Rockies will probably pick up his option)

Joe Borowski
    Chad Bradford
    Chris Reitsma
    Guillermo Mota
    Dan Kolb

Keith Foulke (maybe, if depends on health and price, but risky)

And definitely resign:

Rich Aurillia
    Juan Castro
    Javier Valentine

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but rather players we may very likely get. Any combinations of the above (together with some trades) could really improve this team for 2007. I think Krivsky and Castellini really know what they are doing. Krivsky seems to scout very, very well, and knows what he wants. As for the big names (Barry Zito, Jason Schmidt, etc.) I don't think they are out of our price range (at least not for this ownership) but rather much too risky for the price. I believe a better pitching staff can be built from some very good to great 1-5 starters as opposed to one ace (maybe two) and fluff (ie, Mets, Cardinals compared to Dodgers and White Sox). I am really looking forward to this off-season regardless of what transpires hence in 2006. Finally, the future is looking very, very bright!

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol
    You've got it all wrong. Next years camp will have all of these players present.

Tony Batista Minnesota Twins 3B FA 8.072 Andy Mota 32
    Luis Castillo Minnesota Twins 2B 25-man 8.055 Sam and Seth Levinson 30 T
    Erubiel Durazo Minnesota Twins 1B FA 5.071 Diego Bentz 31
    Torii Hunter Minnesota Twins CF 25-man 6.135 Patrick Murphy 31 T
    Brad Radke Minnesota Twins RHSP 25-man 11 Ron Simon 33
    Dennys Reyes Minnesota Twins LHRP 25-man 6.133 Oscar Suarez 29
    Ruben Sierra Minnesota Twins DH FA 16.085 Chuck Berry 40
    Shannon Stewart Minnesota Twins LF 15-Day 8.121 Greg Genske 32
    Rondell White Minnesota Twins LF 15-Day 11.162 Sam and Seth Levinson 34 T
    When you look at that list though, with a few exceptions (White, Sierra, Batista), that would comprise some very good signings.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Will Tomo Ohka be overvalued? (Not a rhetorical question...)
    Actually, I don't think so. Because of the injuries this year and in the past. Although, he not typically injury-prone.

I have a sneaky feeling that Doug Davis will be a Red in 2007. As we know, we are now celebrating "The Power Of Tradition", and the Reds have a history of acquiring players they either can't hit (Clay Kirby, Bob Shirley, John Stuper) or can't get out (Cesar Cedeno, Mariano Duncan).

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    I have a sneaky feeling that Doug Davis will be a Red in 2007. As we know, we are now celebrating "The Power Of Tradition", and the Reds have a history of acquiring players they either can't hit (Clay Kirby, Bob Shirley, John Stuper) or can't get out (Cesar Cedeno, Mariano Duncan).
    I think Davis would be just about the best acquisition this ballclub could make for next season. Which means it won't happen.

I would LOVE to acquire Davis.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Why?? Davis is awful, he walks hitters like its his job. Do we really want another soft tosser that can't locate?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    Why?? Davis is awful, he walks hitters like its his job. Do we really want another soft tosser that can't locate?

Davis isn't really a soft-tosser.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Davis isn't really a soft-tosser.

That's true. He relies on his breaking ball a little too often but he's not a softy.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

What does "void option" mean beside Miltons name? I would bite on Kerry Wood for 4 million, and if we could pry Moyer away from Seattle for 1 year I think he would be a great teacher for the younger guys.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Bear in mind, they're gonna have a good chunk of cash to give someone, considering the salary increases that would have been paid to Kearns and Lopez.

It's not out of the realm of possiblity that Wayne could try to make a big splash.
    And that should be considered an important part of the trade that sent those guys to DC. It may prove more useful than any player the Reds acquired in that trade.

I'd go all out to sign Hunter to play CF, move Griffey to RF, Freel to 2B and Phillips to SS. Better OF defense will lead to improved pitching on a flyball staff with Milton, Harang and Arroyo. He adds more speed and a some power as well. There really isn't a pitcher worth the cash. I'd keep Lohse and Ramirez and wait for Bailey.

I'd also keep Aurilia to platoon with Hat, give a breather to the rest of the IF and OF (with Freel moving to OF when an OF'er needs a rest). Nine guys for 8 spots provides some depth and keeps guys fresh. Griffey and Freel both need more rest than they get right now.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Just seeing some of these names make me warm and fuzzy on some of the more recent better days of the Reds. Let's bring back Cammy and DaMeat Hook; that solidifies our bench with some pop. Alex Gonzalez I would LOVE to see on this team. Sure he's not worth much at the plate, but my mouth waters at a DP combo of him and BP.

As to the starting pitching, absolutely let's take two starters from the Brew Crew with Davis and Ohka. It's just too bad Bill Hall isn't a free agent. Then again, he'd probably hit .213 with 2 homers in a full season if he came to the Reds. He'd do great in batting practice though.
    No one expects the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I think Davis would be just about the best acquisition this ballclub could make for next season. Which means it won't happen.

I would LOVE to acquire Davis.
    I've always been a Doug Davis fan, but take out his stats vs. Cincinnati this year and he might be Brandon Claussen!

I wish the Reds could afford to spend another $20 million on starting pitching......there are a couple I'd like to have on that list.

Turn Off Ads?