Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Vintage Uniforms

Reds Vintage Uniforms

I was reading about (and saw a clip of) the Pirates playing a game in Homestead Greys, Negro League uniforms. Both they and the Nats did that and the Mets were the NY Cubans and St. Louis was the Stars (I think).

I've seen some of the teams doing these vintage uniform days and I know the Red have done a couple. I can remember them doing a 70's one (ho hum) and maybe a 60's.

The question I put to the group is what Reds teams' uniforms would you like to see a Vintage Uniform day for? I'm leaning towards one of the Red and Blue numbers from the 20's or 30's, although I'm not necessarily advocating the Red pants (I seem to recall WOY giving some history on that).

Also, what Negro League team would you select if we did a game honoring them?

Here's one:

You can check out the uniforms yourself at the Hall of Fame:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...s/database.htm

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: Reds Vintage Uniforms

1936 Cincinnati Tigers

When all is said and done more is said than done.

Also, what Negro League team would you select if we did a game honoring them?
    Cincinnati Buckeyes Negro American League 1942

throws 106. NBD.

1939-1946

specifically the away uniform...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Cincinnati Buckeyes Negro American League 1942

The Reds once played in a throwback game with Cincinnati Buckeyes uniforms on. It was against the Tigers, iirc...maybe not. There is one of the uniforms they wore in the Hof/Museum.

I'm all for a "retro" style uniform design but the one thing I really wish they would do away with is the pajama pants look. Show some stockings for goodness sake. After all, aren't they called the Reds because of the color of their stockings?

RFS would be a good guy to weigh in on this thread. After all, he's been alive thru all the different variations.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    The Reds once played in a throwback game with Cincinnati Buckeyes uniforms on. It was against the Tigers, iirc...maybe not. There is one of the uniforms they wore in the Hof/Museum.

I'm all for a "retro" style uniform design but the one thing I really wish they would do away with is the pajama pants look. Show some stockings for goodness sake. After all, aren't they called the Reds because of the color of their stockings?

Also the Tigers did this after

The Tigers and Indians turned back the clock and wore the uniforms of the Detroit Stars and Cleveland Buckeyes, respectively, on Saturday, August 6th. Five players were honored before the game: Harold "Bebop" Gordon, Gene Johnson, Melvin Duncan, Marvin Jones and Cecil Kaiser.

The family of late great Star Norman "Turkey" Stearnes was shown attending the game.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Also the Tigers did this after

The Tigers and Indians turned back the clock and wore the uniforms of the Detroit Stars and Cleveland Buckeyes, respectively, on Saturday, August 6th. Five players were honored before the game: Harold "Bebop" Gordon, Gene Johnson, Melvin Duncan, Marvin Jones and Cecil Kaiser.

The family of late great Star Norman "Turkey" Stearnes was shown attending the game.
    I found the game I was talking about WoY. It was in 1998 and I was actually at the game so I thought I had remembered it right. I e-mailed a buddy to see if he might have some photos we took of it.

from the Cincinnati Post:
    TRIBUTE - Television viewers might be in for an initial surprise when they tune in tonight. As part of a Negro League celebration, the Reds will be wearing the old Cincinnati Buckeyes uniforms, while the Tigers will be wearing Detroit Stars uniforms.
    Publication date: 06-27-98

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    I found the game I was talking about WoY. It was in 1998 and I was actually at the game so I thought I had remembered it right. I e-mailed a buddy to see if he might have some photos we took of it.

from the Cincinnati Post:
    I have a tape of that game.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    me too... GM eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    1936 Cincinnati Tigers

http://www.nlbpa.com/cincinnati_tigers.html

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Can you see me in it? I'd be the guy in the Reds cap drinking a beer down the first base line.

I'd go regional and do the Dayton Marcos:
    The Dayton Marcos were a Negro League baseball team that is now defunct along with the Negro League. They were based from Dayton, Ohio.

The Dayton Marcos history does go back farther than the Negro League though. As an independent team and also in the Ohio-Indiana League, they played black and white teams all over the country throughout the 1910s.

According to the Negro League Baseball Players Association Website, old newspaper accounts and fading memories are the only sources of information on the Marcos [1] even as they burst into the Negro League. They played in the then newly formed Negro National League, which was formed by Rube Foster. The Marcos were one of those first eight teams to play in the first Negro League to survive a full season.

During this time, the Marcos did play against some heavy competition, including that of Satchel Paige.

Dayton left the league after one year and a last place finish, and played independently until the mid 20s. They then rejoined briefly for part of 1925, when they finished in second-to-last and left the league once again. Although, they were a significant part of Dayton sports history, too little is known about them to factor them in too highly.

The Marcos survived until the Second World War. Dayton did not have a baseball team again until 2000 when the Dayton Dragons formed.
    Last edited by ochre; 08-17-2006 at 01:57 PM.

I like the 36 uni's with the red pants.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum
    I like the 36 uni's with the red pants.
    IIRC they wore those pants only during night games, in an experiment that they looked better under the lights.

The Braves tried silk uniforms in the late 40's for the same reason.

Turn Off Ads?