Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So when you charge the mound, what do you do really?

GOREDSGO32

So when you charge the mound, what do you do really?

Texas and the Angles got into a brawl the other night, which makes me think .. what does a batter really do when your running towards the pitcher dozens of feet away? Throw a punch, a takedown, what? It seems every time there is a brawl by the time they get up there its just like "what do I do?" and the guys grapple each other. Of course there is exceptions (remember when Nolan Ryan layed it on Robin Ventura?), but most of the time its just like why go up there, you dont even do anything?.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So when you charge the mound, what do you do really?

Here's a pretty entertaining take on things.

http://www.planet19.com/league/basebrawl.htm
    Makes all the routine posts.

Old Red Guard Reject

Remember the Chan Ho Park karate kick?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Crouch down a bit. When the charging guy gets close, fire a straight punch with your non-pitching hand aimed right at his nose.

You can also make a grab for his head and try for a headlock (Nolan Ryan/Robin Ventura style) or redirect him to the ground (Pedro Martinez/Don Zimmer style).

If you know Ki-Akido, you can basically put a clown suit on someone who's charging you. There's this nifty little maneuver in which you grab the guy's wrist, sidestep, and flip him over. I should have taken more classes and learned how to do it correctly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Ask Paul Wilson. I still bet that Carlos Silva is forever gratefull of Mike Leiberthal for tripping Adam Dunn a couple years back. That is something you dont want to see running at you!

Quote Originally Posted by Farney
    Ask Paul Wilson. I still bet that Carlos Silva is forever gratefull of Mike Leiberthal for tripping Adam Dunn a couple years back. That is something you dont want to see running at you!
    Hey Farney, if you're posting on RedsZone, who helped Freel make that great catch today?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If you're charging you've got to go for the tackle and then start throwing punches. For a clinic on what NOT to do see Robin Ventura vs. Nolan Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Hey Farney, if you're posting on RedsZone, who helped Freel make that great catch today?
    I left him on his own today, which would explain his 0'fer at the plate.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I like this guy's approach...

"G. the Izzy
    You might remember Triple-A slugger Izzy Alcantara getting hit by a pitch this summer and super-kicking the catcher before charging the mound -- apparently to eliminate the "getting caught from behind" factor -- a move so outrageous that when Izzy subsequently charged the mound, everyone avoided him because they thought he had gone insane. Maybe the strangest basebrawl moment of all time. "
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

do u remember when Paul Wilson got PWNED by Kyle Farnsworth (then with the reds) when Wilson got plunked and chargd the mound? hahah

what a wuss.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

My favorite is a Mario Soto induced brawl. I do not have all of the names but I saw the game on TV as a teen. Mario beaned the hitter, he took his time, jawed a bit then charged. As the hitter began to charge, the catcher threw Soto another ball. So, Soto throws it at the charging hitter and nails him again. Great stuff.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    do u remember when Paul Wilson got PWNED by Kyle Farnsworth (then with the reds) when Wilson got plunked and chargd the mound? hahah

what a wuss.
    If he was a wuss he would never of charged the mound in the 1st place. I'd like to see you charge the mound against someone 10 years younger and 70 pounds better then you

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farney
    If he was a wuss he would never of charged the mound in the 1st place. I'd like to see you charge the mound against someone 10 years younger and 70 pounds better then you
    I'll have to agree. I wonder if Wilson ever thought to himself.."Gee, this guy is bigger than I thought"....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    My favorite is a Mario Soto induced brawl. I do not have all of the names but I saw the game on TV as a teen. Mario beaned the hitter, he took his time, jawed a bit then charged. As the hitter began to charge, the catcher threw Soto another ball. So, Soto throws it at the charging hitter and nails him again. Great stuff.
    Was it Claudell Washington? I remember Soto always hit Washington something personal between them I think.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I'd like to see Farnsworth hit Adam Dunn with a pitch, then proceed to body slam Dunn after Dunn charged the mound. I'm willing to bet that wouldn't happen

Turn Off Ads?