Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rolen

Re: Rolen

IIRC, Lindner was against trading for Rolen and signing him to extension (allegedly) due to uncertainty over a potential strike that year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Rolen signed an 8 year $90M backloaded contract. He's owed about $13M per seaon from here on out.

No thanks.

Don't let one game winning single cloud any thought that Rolen is (today) a $13M a year player.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 08-18-2006 at 02:11 PM.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    The Reds could've swung it if they wanted to, although they might've had to let Casey or Graves walk as a FA at the end of 2002.

The only reason the payroll was only 50 million was because Allen and Lindner wanted to screw the fans and milk all the money they could out of the franchise.
    I just don't think you get the concept of long term contract and risk, especially with a low/mid market revenue team...

Big difference between 3-year deals and an EIGHT year/NINETY million dollar guaranteed deal. Especially one to a player who has had an injury history along the way. Could you have imagined the tragedy of having both KGJ/Rolen combined contributing ~600 ABs total in a season for $25M (it happened last year when Rolen missed 2/3rds of the season and KGJ missed 1/4th of the season).

KGJs 9/116M contract unfortunately set the franchise back a decade wrg to financial flexibility. Looked like a great move at the time in spring 2000 but who could have ever known the breakdowns we'd see on a recurring basis since 2000 and what appears to be a concerning decline in production going forward through 2008. The Reds were in no position to RISK making the same mistake twice and having to pay Rolen/Griffey $25/year from 2005-2008 and Rolen $13M from 2009-2010.

I think your Lindner/Allen rant is a tangent. They were awful and clueless, no one is arguing that. You still have to live within your means and manage risk, that's just common sense.
    Last edited by oregonred; 08-18-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    and Rolen left the Reds with a 11 mill, sapping it from other resources. Simply wasn't meant to be.
    That money certainly was well-spent in subsequent years.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-18-2006 at 04:27 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    IIRC, Lindner was against trading for Rolen and signing him to extension (allegedly) due to uncertainty over a potential strike that year.
    Yes, that's how I remember it as well.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    That money certainly was well-spent in subsequent years.
    After this season, Rolen is still owed about $52M through 2010...

Can anyone guarantee that the Reds would have offered the same contract that the Cardinals did?

Turn Off Ads?