Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Curse of the Managerial Contract Extention?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: The Curse of the Managerial Contract Extention?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Well, I must have mis-counted, so I'll go back and "check your math."

No big deal, I was using statistics and trying to show what the results were after the extension. I only bash Jerry when he does something really stupid, but, of course, some don't see that and that's OK.

For you math wizards, here are the results since the extension. You can do the math. Apparently I'm not very good.
    Yes, not a biggie. However, I just want to be sure that the numbers were accurate relative to 1-run games and I was understanding the meaning of a 1-run game from your post regarding that. I think the REDS good record relative to 1R games is a good reason for the run differential thing (winning record, but a negative run diff.). Obviously they win a lot of close ones and tend to lose by larger gaps than they win by.

I still have to wonder about the impressive streak that took place immediately after the extension. But it is really all moot IMO. We have all heard of "a contract year" for players in pro sports and have seen them get better statistics (Kevin Mitchell immediately comes to my mind!), but I do not think an extension causes ANY manager to manage differently than they did prior to the extension.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I still have to wonder about the impressive streak that took place immediately after the extension. But it is really all moot IMO. We have all heard of "a contract year" for players in pro sports and have seen them get better statistics (Kevin Mitchell immediately comes to my mind!), but I do not think an extension causes ANY manager to manage differently than they did prior to the extension.
    I agree. I guess what I've said all along that any manger of people should wait until the season, fiscal year, quarter, etc. to grant extensions to any employee. We've done this with Miley earlier and it came back to bite our butts and we go ahead and do it again. Though Jerry has at least maintained his career norm, which was not the disaster Miley's record was, he still is Jerry. And that's the problem IMHO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    I agree. I guess what I've said all along that any manger of people should wait until the season, fiscal year, quarter, etc. to grant extensions to any employee. We've done this with Miley earlier and it came back to bite our butts and we go ahead and do it again. Though Jerry has at least maintained his career norm, which was not the disaster Miley's record was, he still is Jerry. And that's the problem IMHO.
    I think so too. I also like to know that the manager is concentrating on the task at hand during the season and not being diverted by a contract during the season!

I defend Jerry on here. I am not a relative of his or a member of his fan club (just to be clear!!). I am just refreshed to see a run for the playoffs and sometimes feel the need to take the other side on issues. A weak NL is definitely a big reason for the playoff hunt and not Jerry. But would Narron have a winning record if managing one of the big payroll teams in MLB? Joe Torre's managerial record was pathetic before he got "the dream gig". I really think a MLB manager is an overrated job. They are a necessary thing, but do not make that big of difference IMO. Unlike good players (and the ability to pay the good players) and pitchers.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

BTW, I have a close relative who knows Jerry from the Goldsboro area. He says there is not a nicer guy in the world than Jerry. He's not an idiot nor is he stupid and certainly doesn't suck. Sometimes we personalize his job performance which is wrong.

I only disagree with RFA1966 in one area and that's the effect a manager has on a team. I think they have a lot of effect, especailly in lineup construction and the handling of pitchers. I've seen too many managers take what would be a contending team and make the wrong decisions time after time that resulted in a loss where there was a potential win. Over the long haul, the luck and the bad moves probably even out, but with a contender or a potential contender, you have to make every game count. Managers like Boone, Miley, and Narron seem to be so set in their ways and routines that games get away from them. Championship managers make mistakes, but few of them cost their team game after game. And they will make a move often that will snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I see no evidence here, but I understand why. In his playing career, he was part of a division championship team--the 86 Angels, but never played in a World Series and his managerial record suggests that he hasn't been around a lot of success.

I'd like a proven championship manager here in Cincinnati, but even that wouldn't grarantee a championship. It would give us a lot less reason to question, though.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?